Official Offseason Thread

I figured it would be a good idea to make a thread to discuss offseason transactions and early favorites as we approach closer to April. While I am a fan of other sports there is no substitute for baseball and I would like to continue talking about the hot offseason topics in this room.To start here is a list of free agents:CURRENT LIST OF FREE AGENTSAMERICAN LEAGUEBALTIMORE (3) -- Chris Gomez, SS; Russ Ortiz, RHP; Chris Widger, C. BOSTON (3) -- Gabe Kapler, OF; Doug Mirabelli, C; Trot Nixon, OF. CHICAGO (2) -- Sandy Alomar Jr., C; David Riske, RHP. KANSAS CITY (1) -- Doug Mientkiewicz, 1B. LOS ANGELES (3) -- Darin Erstad, C; Adam Kennedy, 2B; J.C. Romero, LHP. MINNESOTA (3) -- Phil Nevin, 1B; Shannon Stewart, OF; Rondell White, OF. NEW YORK (3) -- Miguel Cairo, 2B; Octavio Dotel, RHP; Craig Wilson, OF. OAKLAND (2) -- Jay Payton, OF; Frank Thomas, 1B. SEATTLE (1) -- Gil Meche, RHP. TEXAS (5) -- Rod Barajas, C; Mark DeRosa, SS; Adam Eaton, RHP; Gary Matthews Jr., OF; Eric Young, 2B. TORONTO (3) -- Frank Catalanotto, OF; Ted Lilly, LHP; Justin Speier, RHP. NATIONAL LEAGUEARIZONA (1) -- Luis Gonzalez, OF. ATLANTA (4) -- Danys Baez, RHP; Todd Pratt, C; John Thomson, RHP; Daryle Ward, 1B. CHICAGO (3) -- Henry Blanco, C; Juan Pierre, OF; Kerry Wood, RHP. CINCINNATI (4) -- Royce Clayton, SS; Todd Hollandsworth, OF; Jason Johnson, RHP; David Weathers, RHP. COLORADO (2) -- c-Ray King, LHP; Tom Martin, LHP. FLORIDA (4) -- Joe Borowski, RHP; Wes Helms, 3B; Matt Herges, RHP; Brian Moehler, RHP. HOUSTON (1) -- Aubrey Huff, 3B. LOS ANGELES (3) -- Nomar Garciaparra, 1B; Julio Lugo, SS; Ramon E. Martinez, 2B. MILWAUKEE (3) -- Jeff Cirillo, 3B; Tony Graffanino, 2B; Tomo Ohka, RHP. NEW YORK (7) -- Cliff Floyd, OF; Orlando Hernandez, RHP; Ricky Ledee, OF; Steve Trachsel, RHP; Michael Tucker, RF; Jose Valentin, 2B; Chris Woodward, SS. PHILADELPHIA (5) -- Aaron Fultz, LHP; Mike Lieberthal, C; Arthur Rhodes, LHP; Rick White, RHP; Randy WoLF, LHP. PITTSBURGH (1) -- Joe Randa, 3B. ST. LOUIS (1) -- Gary Bennett, C; SAN DIEGO (6) -- Geoff Blum, 3B; Alan Embree, LHP; Shawn Estes, LHP; Dave Roberts, OF; Rudy Seanez, RHP; Todd Walker, 2B. SAN FRANCISCO (7) -- Moises Alou, RF; Barry Bonds, LF; Todd Greene, C; Shea Hillenbrand, 1B; Steve Kline, LHP; Jason Schmidt, RHP; Mike Stanton, LHP. WASHINGTON (2) -- Tony Armas Jr., RHP; ALFonso Soriano, 2B.JAPAN (1)- Then of course there's Matsuzaka. With Seattle out the Yankees have to be the clear favorites to sign him.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CHICAGO (3) -- Henry BlancoHope we keep him. He has a gun for an arm. No one runs on him. Who wants Michael Barrett? Tell me who you will give in return. I was thinking 1 good pitching prospect & a decent triple A position player.

forgot Aramis Ramirez from the Cubsand Scott Speizio, Ronnie Belliard, and Jeff Weaver of the Cardinalsquite a few others for that matter

CHICAGO (3) -- Henry BlancoHope we keep him. He has a gun for an arm. No one runs on him. Who wants Michael Barrett? Tell me who you will give in return. I was thinking 1 good pitching prospect & a decent triple A position player.
getting rid of Michael Barret would be a deplorable action on the Cubs part, as a matter of fact Barrett along with Lee, Ramirez, and Pierre are the only everyday starters that I would keep

The Yanks havent bought out Sheffields contract yet? As for the three that have filed for free agency from my team of expertise, Nevin will be out the door, and possibly out of baseball as badly as he played, oh wait, there's the NL for players like him. I personally hope that we can retain White, because of reasons that I have posted before in the Official Twins better get their sh*t together Thread. And as for Stewart, he had a nice two years, and then an injured two year, so unless he wants to play for cheap, he's out the door.

No love for Barret? Although his defense isn't very good, he's a much better hitter than Henry Blanco. It would be a good idea to keep both as Blanco can sub in as a defensive replacement later in games. The Cubs need all the offense they can get as they were one of the worst hitting teams last year. Perhaps they'll get a bat like Soriano to help create some more runs.

oh thats right, he was so mad that they were gonna do that. Wait, why am I caring about what happens with the Yankees? I HATE YOU ESPN!! I hope jeter falls out of a hot air ballon and Yankees fans are 'forced' to have A-Rod as their starting shortstop!

The Yanks havent bought out Sheffields contract yet? As for the three that have filed for free agency from my team of expertise, Nevin will be out the door, and possibly out of baseball as badly as he played, oh wait, there's the NL for players like him. I personally hope that we can retain White, because of reasons that I have posted before in the Official Twins better get their sh*t together Thread. And as for Stewart, he had a nice two years, and then an injured two year, so unless he wants to play for cheap, he's out the door.
There is no way Sheffield will be on the Yankees next year. The only question is where will he be traded to? The Yankees could sure use some bullpen help and a 1st baseman. Coming off an injury I doubt he will be able to land us a solid starter.
forgot Aramis Ramirez from the Cubsand Scott Speizio, Ronnie Belliard, and Jeff Weaver of the Cardinalsquite a few others for that mattergetting rid of Michael Barret would be a deplorable action on the Cubs part, as a matter of fact Barrett along with Lee, Ramirez, and Pierre are the only everyday starters that I would keep
Yeah, it's missing quite a few names. I got it from MLB.com
oh thats right, he was so mad that they were gonna do that. Wait, why am I caring about what happens with the Yankees? I HATE YOU ESPN!! I hope jeter falls out of a hot air ballon and Yankees fans are 'forced' to have A-Rod as their starting shortstop!
That's not very nice. We already lost a Yankee in an air accident this year. We don't need another one. Lidel probablly wasn't going to return, but was still a Yankee. As for Arod, he's stuck in the Bronx for now.

yeah it wasnt very nice, but its jeter and the Yankees. and its not as if I actually hope jeter dies. How about this then, I hope Jeter is diagnosed with Glaucoma and cant see anymore. Then you Yanks fans will have to 'suffer' through watching A-Rod at SS. a little less evil?

No love for Barret? Although his defense isn't very good, he's a much better hitter than Henry Blanco. It would be a good idea to keep both as Blanco can sub in as a defensive replacement later in games. The Cubs need all the offense they can get as they were one of the worst hitting teams last year. Perhaps they'll get a bat like Soriano to help create some more runs.
I dont think he calls good games. It seems like our pitching hasnt been that good since we got him the year after we lost to the Marlins. Maddux & Prior basically had Blanco as their personal cather. It does make a difference. Maybe we can throw him in some sort of package deal for Gary Sheffield. Posada cant play forever.
I dont think he calls good games. It seems like our pitching hasnt been that good since we got him the year after we lost to the Marlins. Maddux & Prior basically had Blanco as their personal cather. It does make a difference. Maybe we can throw him in some sort of package deal for Gary Sheffield. Posada cant play forever.
Blanco was Maddux's catcher in Atlanta too. I doubt there are many problems there.
yeah it wasnt very nice, but its jeter and the Yankees. and its not as if I actually hope jeter dies. How about this then, I hope Jeter is diagnosed with Glaucoma and cant see anymore. Then you Yanks fans will have to 'suffer' through watching A-Rod at SS. a little less evil?
Hmmm...I don't know if wishing cancer upon someone is evil, but whatever.
The last thing the Yanks need is Barrett.

My money says the Sox sign Barajas from the Rangers. He can catch the knuckle ball, and Mirabelli showed that that is all it takes to make the team now-a-days.I doubt they resign any of their free agents, and I really hope that we've seen the last of Gabe Kapler. I love that guy, but wow, he sucks. I wish that Trot could stay, but it's a lost cause.I also hope we can trade Manny while he still has some value.

I also hope we can trade Manny while he still has some value.
Why? His numbers the last 4 seasons:.325/.427/.587.308/.397/.613.292/.388/.594.321/.439/.619Doesn't seem like a dropoff to me.....Why should we get rid of one of the league's best hitters?
Is glaucoma cancer? I don't think it is, could be wrong. But the reason I pick that is cause thats what ended Puckett's career short.
No, it's not. I think I thought it was, because both have brought debates over medical marijuana. However, it's still not very fun.
My money says the Sox sign Barajas from the Rangers. He can catch the knuckle ball, and Mirabelli showed that that is all it takes to make the team now-a-days.I doubt they resign any of their free agents, and I really hope that we've seen the last of Gabe Kapler. I love that guy, but wow, he sucks. I wish that Trot could stay, but it's a lost cause.I also hope we can trade Manny while he still has some value.
I'd be willing to take your money on that one. He will get starter money from someone, he's not gonna be a backup.my prediction is there will be so many ridiculous contracts signed this offseason, since many teams have money to spend and no quality players to spend on, it will seem like Isiah Thomas is the GM of 25 MLB teams.
I'd be willing to take your money on that one. He will get starter money from someone, he's not gonna be a backup.my prediction is there will be so many ridiculous contracts signed this offseason, since many teams have money to spend and no quality players to spend on, it will seem like Isiah Thomas is the GM of 25 MLB teams.
Haha, the Knicks just give up all their picks for great players like Eddy Curry. They have no money to spend as they are way over the cap.
Yeah, I'd like Barajas, but I don't think it's going to happen. There's a lot of money to go around. I'm very curious to see what happens with Matsuzaka.
Yeah, I'd like Barajas, but I don't think it's going to happen. There's a lot of money to go around. I'm very curious to see what happens with Matsuzaka.
I said in another thread that he's destined for Seattle.nice read by me. ugh
I said in another thread that he's destined for Seattle.nice read by me. ugh
Yeah, I was suprised to read on MLB.com that Seattle is already out of the race. The Yankees are probablly the heavy favorites to get him now as the Mets will probablly go after Zito. The Red Sox are also in the race, but I doubt they'd outbid the Yankees.