Barry Bonds = Drug Cheat

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ain't saying that this is breaking news....but this is WAY more detailed than anything before about this subject....basically it just confirms for a fact what everybody already knows..he is a cheater and a disgrace to the sport. Was a great player while clean..then threw it away.

i'm not so sure he is a disgrace1. everyone was doing it2. gaylord perry is in the hall of fame3. amphetamine use is even more prominant and just as bad4. would ty cobb have taken steroids? would pete rose? Read bill james historical abstract he wrote about how Babe Ruth used a corked bat and makes a convincing argument that Ruth would have used steroids too if you extend it to that5. the beatles used illegal drugs and it helped their music - does that diminish their output - should they be kicked out of the hall of fame and be replaced by Herman's Hermits who did it clean?6. It makes me diminish Bonds statistics but I don't really buy the disgrace thing - Mark McGuire is ok but Palmero is evil just cuz he got caught 7. If Baseball didn't crack down on it and they didn't - it becomes a personal health choice and a moral issue. If no one is ever arrested for speeding is it really against the law? It's way too pervasive an issue to demonize one guy - and he is definitely going to be demonized because he is a jerk and people don't want him to get that record. If it had been Cal Ripken people would be falling all over themselves defending him. Really is Bonds worse than Sosa because his stats are better?

Description of Red HerringA Red Herring is a fallacy in which an irrelevant topic is presented in order to divert attention from the original issue. The basic idea is to "win" an argument by leading attention away from the argument and to another topic. This sort of "reasoning" has the following form: Topic A is under discussion. Topic B is introduced under the guise of being relevant to topic A (when topic B is actually not relevant to topic A). Topic A is abandoned. This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because merely changing the topic of discussion hardly counts as an argument against a claim.

i'm not so sure he is a disgrace1. everyone was doing it2. gaylord perry is in the hall of fame3. amphetamine use is even more prominant and just as bad4. would ty cobb have taken steroids? would pete rose? Read bill james historical abstract he wrote about how Babe Ruth used a corked bat and makes a convincing argument that Ruth would have used steroids too if you extend it to that5. the beatles used illegal drugs and it helped their music - does that diminish their output - should they be kicked out of the hall of fame and be replaced by Herman's Hermits who did it clean?6. It makes me diminish Bonds statistics but I don't really buy the disgrace thing - Mark McGuire is ok but Palmero is evil just cuz he got caught 7. If Baseball didn't crack down on it and they didn't - it becomes a personal health choice and a moral issue. If no one is ever arrested for speeding is it really against the law? It's way too pervasive an issue to demonize one guy - and he is definitely going to be demonized because he is a jerk and people don't want him to get that record. If it had been Cal Ripken people would be falling all over themselves defending him. Really is Bonds worse than Sosa because his stats are better?
are you implying that the beatles are better than herman's hermits? idiot.um sw

Awesome post Brad, I can't wait to read your book when you finish it. It's a sad state of affairs that the people of this country allow the media to mold and shape the way they think about certain things. A story blows up, it's on every station, and then one side of things, one point of view, becomes the historical record of events.

i'm not so sure he is a disgrace1. everyone was doing itDoesn't make it right.2. gaylord perry is in the hall of fame3. amphetamine use is even more prominant and just as bad4. would ty cobb have taken steroids? would pete rose? Read bill james historical abstract he wrote about how Babe Ruth used a corked bat and makes a convincing argument that Ruth would have used steroids too if you extend it to thatThey might have but they didn't--moot point.5. the beatles used illegal drugs and it helped their music - does that diminish their output - should they be kicked out of the hall of fame and be replaced by Herman's Hermits who did it clean?It's not against the rules to use drugs in music. Apples to oranges.6. It makes me diminish Bonds statistics but I don't really buy the disgrace thing - Mark McGuire is ok but Palmero is evil just cuz he got caught LBJ and Kennedy are ok, but Nixon is a criminal? Same logic applies.7. If Baseball didn't crack down on it and they didn't - it becomes a personal health choice and a moral issue. If no one is ever arrested for speeding is it really against the law? It's way too pervasive an issue to demonize one guy - and he is definitely going to be demonized because he is a jerk and people don't want him to get that record. If it had been Cal Ripken people would be falling all over themselves defending him. Really is Bonds worse than Sosa because his stats are better?
In addition, it's one thing to get caught by the system. But Bonds is so stupid that he admitted to using steriods, but not knowing what they were."Ignorance is no excuse."
Description of Red HerringA Red Herring is a fallacy in which an irrelevant topic is presented in order to divert attention from the original issue. The basic idea is to "win" an argument by leading attention away from the argument and to another topic. This sort of "reasoning" has the following form: Topic A is under discussion. Topic B is introduced under the guise of being relevant to topic A (when topic B is actually not relevant to topic A). Topic A is abandoned. This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because merely changing the topic of discussion hardly counts as an argument against a claim.
Who taught you that? Sean Hannity?
1) "Everyone" "was". At least we aren't speaking in generalities.2) So. Did he take steroids? I think people care less about the "illegal drug" part and more about the "illegal PERFORMANCE ENHANCING drug" part.3)"Just as bad." Way to make a value judgement on illegal drugs. Amphetamines, although hyping you up, are not going to jack you into doubling your HR's4)"Gee I think others might've done it if they could have?" Yiiiikes. I put you on getting a 5 on your LSAT.5) Debatable whether it helped their music....and popularity of a band is subjective, # of HR's is empirical6)No proof that McGuire did steroids..and if it comes out that he did, then we put him back in line too and give it to Sammy. Palmeiro has already been dealt with.7)This is the most ridiculous, fallacial argument I've ever heard. We are all stupider for reading it and may God have mercy on your soul.Seriously Keith, what post # is that for you today, 1,000? Time for a vacation from lalaland.

Honestly though it bums me out that barry is a user just because wow those stats were so incredibleand it doesn't excuse it but hell with what's going on with the country as a whole it really doesn't matter much to meyou guys should read about this amphetamine crackdown and how prevalent it is - this year may be really wildi think like 95 % play hopped upI was a huge Kirby fan and look what happened - he was a god - they tore him down and made him a devil - he just died and he's a god again

1) "Everyone" "was". At least we aren't speaking in generalities.2) So. Did he take steroids? I think people care less about the "illegal drug" part and more about the "illegal PERFORMANCE ENHANCING drug" part.3)"Just as bad." Way to make a value judgement on illegal drugs. Amphetamines, although hyping you up, are not going to jack you into doubling your HR's4)"Gee I think others might've done it if they could have?" Yiiiikes. I put you on getting a 5 on your LSAT.5) Debatable whether it helped their music....and popularity of a band is subjective, # of HR's is empirical6)No proof that McGuire did steroids..and if it comes out that he did, then we put him back in line too and give it to Sammy. Palmeiro has already been dealt with.7)This is the most ridiculous, fallacial argument I've ever heard. We are all stupider for reading it and may God have mercy on your soul.Seriously Keith, what post # is that for you today, 1,000? Time for a vacation from lalaland.
Very nice post.You owned me at pointing out the rediculousness of that entire post.But I beat you to it.

1) "Everyone" "was". At least we aren't speaking in generalities. - if 50% are cheating are they all crooks or is the game crooked? if 50 % cheat is bonds the worst cuz he has the best numbers - dude has the best numbers because he is the best talent on the drugs2) So. Did he take steroids? I think people care less about the "illegal drug" part and more about the "illegal PERFORMANCE ENHANCING drug" part. - amphetamines enhance performance and 90% did them - and they are Illegal - why is taking a pill worse than throwing a spitter?3)"Just as bad." Way to make a value judgement on illegal drugs. Amphetamines, although hyping you up, are not going to jack you into doubling your HR's - so its ok to take an illegal drug that makes you a little better not a lot better?4)"Gee I think others might've done it if they could have?" Yiiiikes. I put you on getting a 5 on your LSAT. - Babe Ruth drank when it was illegal and used a corked bat - Would you tell your kids - look the beatles didn't do ecstasy - if it had been around they clearly would have5) Debatable whether it helped their music....and popularity of a band is subjective, # of HR's is empirical - Check out the rock and roll hall of fame and tell me what percent didn't make classic albums on drugs - in fact try to name one?6)No proof that McGuire did steroids..and if it comes out that he did, then we put him back in line too and give it to Sammy. Palmeiro has already been dealt with. - So bonds is more guilty than Mac because he got caught - do you honestly think mac is clean - do you think george takei is straight7)This is the most ridiculous, fallacial argument I've ever heard. We are all stupider for reading it and may God have mercy on your soul. - Please you are totally wrong - If Baseball doesn't crack down hard on steroids then some people will use them - if some people use them - then everyone has to or the only ones left will be the users - thus it makes you have to take them to play - Had baseball dealt with this 10 years ago it wouldn't be an issue but they made tons of money on the homer races - Last time I checked its been a hell of a long time since Ben Johson!!!

2) So. Did he take steroids? I think people care less about the "illegal drug" part and more about the "illegal PERFORMANCE ENHANCING drug" part.3)"Just as bad." Way to make a value judgement on illegal drugs. Amphetamines, although hyping you up, are not going to jack you into doubling your HR's
Please do not take this as a defense for Barry Bonds, but what do we know about how steroids enhances performance versus how amphetamines enhance performance?A list of some guys who have tested positive for steroids:Alex SanchezJorge PiedraJamal StrongRafael PalmeiroMatt Lawton

Let me ask you guys a serious questionIf you were the best baseball player in America - and you saw yourselves being surpassed by cheaters - would you be honest and be tenth best or take drugs to compete with the others?Oh and in 1921 when half the country drank - were they all horrible criminals? When it was repealed - were they suddenly upstanding citizens again?

To all those who are using the "well everyone was doing it" argument...please show me where it says that Bonds was the only one doing it and that he was the only person who should be punished for it. EVERYONE who used steroids and who cheated should be talked about and punished and such. You guys are all bringing up outside information about different stuff....when the point is....Bonds was a good player who then decided to take illegal steroids and saw his homerun totals go up dramatically. He cheated, bottom line, and everyone in baseball knows it for a fact now. It is an undeniable fact, and that is all anyone is saying. Noone is saying he should be banned forever from baseball or anything like that, just saying that it should be acknowledged as a primary reason for a lot of his recent homerun records and such.

No problem Koop but did any of you see the ESPN column where the columnist looked at every high home run total and found almost all of them bogus for one reason or anotherRuth didn't play against BlacksMaris and many others were in expansion seasonsBonds records need to be adjusted definitely but I bet so do numbers 2-10 in his era - Look at John Belushi - was he a worse drug abuser than robin williams just because he died - in all likelihood robin was lucky and he would admit it

Let me ask you guys a serious questionIf you were the best baseball player in America - and you saw yourselves being surpassed by cheaters - would you be honest and be tenth best or take drugs to compete with the others?Oh and in 1921 when half the country drank - were they all horrible criminals? When it was repealed - were they suddenly upstanding citizens again?
I'm not a cheat, and no, I wouldn't do it. You seem to be missing this as everyone else's point...he cheated. Does it mean that what he did wasn't amazing? No. But he doesn't deserve records or recognition for cheating, period.
Please do not take this as a defense for Barry Bonds, but what do we know about how steroids enhances performance versus how amphetamines enhance performance?A list of some guys who have tested positive for steroids:Alex SanchezJorge PiedraJamal StrongRafael PalmeiroMatt Lawton
Steroids make you stronger. That is a fact. The stronger you are, the farther you can hit the ball when you hit it solid. No, steroids don't single handedly cause you to hit tons of homeruns. But they make you stronger. That is a fact. Being stronger is an advantage, right??? That is all. Noone is saying that Bonds is "only" good because he took steroids. He is a Hall of Famer without them. But with them, he became stronger. He went from a HR every 16 atbats for his entire to career to, in his late 30s when he started taking steroids, a HR every 8 at bats. Steroids made him VERY noticably stronger and bigger, and as a result, he had more power, which leads to more homeruns. That is a fact. No. Steroids aren't the only reason he had power, but they gave him a lot more of it. (P.S. Also.....his forehead GREW at that exact time also...that ONLY happens when you take steroids. FACT)
Keith seems to have all the percentages lol.
Steroids make you stronger. That is a fact. The stronger you are, the farther you can hit the ball when you hit it solid. No, steroids don't single handedly cause you to hit tons of homeruns. But they make you stronger. That is a fact. Being stronger is an advantage, right??? That is all. Noone is saying that Bonds is "only" good because he took steroids. He is a Hall of Famer without them. But with them, he became stronger. He went from a HR every 16 atbats for his entire to career to, in his late 30s when he started taking steroids, a HR every 8 at bats. Steroids made him VERY noticably stronger and bigger, and as a result, he had more power, which leads to more homeruns. That is a fact. No. Steroids aren't the only reason he had power, but they gave him a lot more of it. (P.S. Also.....his forehead GREW at that exact time also...that ONLY happens when you take steroids. FACT)
My point was that people seem to think taking steroids automatically means you will hit a bunch of home runs. Also, amphetamines shouldn't be dismissed so easily. Have you ever tried to play a game when you just didn't have any energy? There is no way you can compete like that; the guy who gets the energy boost will likely play better.

Look if half the league cheats of course the home run record will be held by a cheaterBonds is clearly not worse than palmiero or macguire just because he achieved more by doing the same thing