card players poker quiz of the day

A $10-$20 game. You are in the big blind holding the K :D J :D An early player limps and a middle player raises. The cutoff calls. You call from your big blind, since you are already halfway in. The early player calls. There is $85 in the pot and four players. The flop is: K :) -7 :) -4 :club: giving you top pair, decent kicker with a backdoor flush-draw. You bet. The early player folds. The middle player raises and the cutoff folds. You call. There is $125 in the pot and two players. The turn is the T :D What do you do? A) Check/foldB) Bet/FoldC) Check/callD) Open-farrell E) Check-raiseF) Bet-raiseFor those who have read the quiz already, please wait a little before answering.

Is that the only info they give us? We know nothing of our opponent(s)?So, it's based on no reads. Some people are saying to not get involved in the hand pre-flop. I disagree. Who cares if that is good or bad.We led out on the flop, and got raised, then just called. Let's ignore if that was good or bad also.The turn is the key - t :club: comes. As per Harrington, the ten is the second scariest card in the deck (next to an ace), as it fills the most straights. Beware the ten my friends :!: If we were to just call it down if UI, it costs us $40 to win $165 (plus our $40). That's better than 4-1 isn't it? If we do improve, we can probably add in a bet (or two) that we were able to extract from our opponent, making our odds even better. I think this shows we should not be folding at any time. That eliminates option A and B.I have no idea what open-Farrell is, and doubt it was in Cardplayer, so we will eliminate option D also.How did that math work from the other post??? Too many possible holdings of our opponent here to figure it out that way me thinks...Isn't this similar to Quiz Question 10 (I haven't looked at those in ages, so maybe I am thinking of the wrong one).Basically, my thoughts are, if we are going to spend at least two bets here, why not put both of them in on the turn, rather than going check/call, check/call. I think that eliminates Option C.So, It's a check/raise or bet/raise. Bet raise costs us three bets, check/raise costs us two. I hope it's E. 8)

Isn't this similar to Quiz Question 10 (I haven't looked at those in ages, so maybe I am thinking of the wrong one).Basically, my thoughts are, if we are going to spend at least two bets here, why not put both of them in on the turn, rather than going check/call, check/call. I think that eliminates Option C.
It would be similar to the A8 :club: question if we were in position to take a free showdown. But we're not. Because we have to act first, we may or may not get a free showdown. Raising with position and a marginal hands works because we spend the same 2 bets, and can gain an extra bet if we improve on the river. Here, we spend those 2 bets on the turn, but checking the river may induce him to bet. I agree with the rest of your reasoning though. I don't like bet/fold seeing as we do have top pair, but check/calling down seems pretty weak.

I would call preflop with KJ against all but the rockiest raisers, I think it's better than folding (but I'm not certain).A "normal" villain should have either AK, KQ, AA, KK, TT (26 hands that beat us), KJ (6 hands that tie us), or QQ, JJ, 99, 88 (21 hands that we beat). So I think there's still a decent chance we're ahead on the turn here.I don't like bet/folding the turn unless villain is passive enough to call down with his lower pairs (the only hands that we beat). I think a good player would raise for a free showdown with these hands, and a weak-tight player would fold his two outer.So in this case, I think check/calling down might be the best line (against a decent opponent), except that I would bet/fold the river if a heart hits in case he might fold KJ or KQ.(I don't like check/raising the turn, just because I doubt he folds better hands, especially since he may think we're semibluffing a heart draw.)So my vote goes to C.(EDIT: I'll live with the fact that I gave him a free card if he happens to have AhQh or AhTh).

check/call.weak..yes..but correct.We want the cheapest showdown.6.5 BB in potwe check, villan bets..now 7.5, we call...8.5 BB.If the river is a K or J we bet/call or maybe raise.Anyway..we win 6.5 + 1 +1 = 8.5 for our turn check/call.We are 8:1 to hit a J or K (and both Hearts are out)Consider the possibility villan has JJ, KK, AK, and then offset that by the possiblity we are ahead already.Clearly if we bet, villan is raising likley..thus we are sacrficing chips if we say bet/fold. The 10 :club: is not a scare card

I agree. The 10 is one of the SAFEST cards in the deck that can come. Theres still no straight, and the only thing that ten scares me of is a pair of tens in teh hole of K-10.If I was playing this hand, I would have three bet the flop. If he just calls, I can almost put him on a flush draw or a king like mine, in which case im:1) making him pay if he has the flush draw2) making him think if he has a king, or even a better king like k-q... maybe he'll think I got two pair and fold it.IMO, three betting the flop and saving a raise or a bet on teh turn, is a better idea when your not sure where your at. Your out of position, and after you show that strength on the flop, bet that ten on teh turn, and he might lay down a hand like KQ. He's calling anyways with a flush draw so youll get more bets, and that three bet on the flop may get you the pot anyways.but thats me and I play a VERY agressive LHE game... part of the reason I get paid off soooo big when I have a BIG hand, because I just lead with it and its no suprise to other players.

Ok... well, according to Cardplayer the answer is A) check/fold. I was hoping that one of the resident experts might be able to explain why that might be a good play for a Middle Limit game. It sure doesn't seem like the correct play for a 2/4 or below game IMHO.I would have gone with the bet/fold option on the turn. I don't see the villain raising on both the flop and turn with any hand we can beat, K-9 or worse... at least it doesn't seem that way in a 10/20 or above game. I can see the idea behind the check-raise, as I think it may represent K-10 or some sort of sneaky two pair from the BB. But I think there's a better than average chance that he will still call us down with a stronger King and we end up chip spewing. I suppose we'll check the river, hoping that he will check down. If he doesn't buy into the fact that we have a stronger King or two pair, he will still make a value bet there, expecting a worse King to call... and we probably would. I don't like check/call here at all. We may induce a bet from a worse hand, but I would imagine that in a 10/20 game, when he raises the flop we are most likely behind. Maybe he is overplaying the flop with Q-Q. We'll only know for sure if we bet into him on the turn. OK... now on to Cardplayer's stellar [sw] reasoning for the check/fold. I think they are being weak/tight, but thas just me. Their reasoning:"In addition to being halfway in, part of the rationale for calling a legitimate raise preflop with a troublesome hand like king-jack offsuit is that you have the good sense to fold after you make top pair and catch heat. You aggressively bet with top pair into the preflop raiser and got raised. At this point it is okay to call and see the turn. Maybe you will help, and maybe he's not serious. But when a blank comes you must check, and fold when your opponent bets. He likely has A-A, K-K, A-K, K-Q, or some hand that beats yours. You are probably playing with no more than five outs (any king or jack versus A-A), maybe only three outs (only a jack versus A-K or K-Q), and you could even be drawing dead (no outs if he has K-K). "

I think check/fold is the worst option based on the info THEY gave us. I wouldn't have gotten into that position in the first place I don't think, depending on the opponent.Oh well. Guess I won't be getting that writers position at Cardplayer after all. lol 8)