The Space Thread

I've been becoming more and more interested in this subject lately. I watched a really cool flyover by the Space Station and Shuttle this morning. If you've never seen it, I recommend it. You can find out the exact time and location in the sky of when you can see it by going to this website:http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/This morning, it was visible for 5 minutes. There are several opportunities to see it in the next week.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bump.   So today, I was trying to take a nap and had the NASA channel on tv. There was an astronaut taking questions from students. One student asked, "What sports do you play on the Space Station.

Yeah, but there's that darn galactic barrier you have to break through...470px-Galactic_Barrier.jpgThe Enterprise did it but only because the Andromedans reconfigged the deflector shields.STEPHEN HAWKING, WE NEED YOU!!!!!

Saw the space station float across the sky last year, it is indeed pretty cool. Although it was more like 1-2 minutes that time rather than 5 minutes so it zipped by pretty quick.

Cool link, thanks.
The first time I ever saw the ISS and shuttle was purely chance. I was on my back porch one evening, and looked up to see a bright light fly across the sky. A couple of minutes later, another one came by on the same trajectory. I sat there for a while trying to figure out what it could have been, and the it dawned on me that it could have been the ISS and shuttle. I went online, and found the site.
Saw the space station float across the sky last year, it is indeed pretty cool. Although it was more like 1-2 minutes that time rather than 5 minutes so it zipped by pretty quick.
Different days/sightings are different in length. This morning's was really cool, as it came out of the northwest, went pretty close to overhead, and departed via the southeast.
for real though...this subjuect also interests me..more than anything else!might take an audit astronomy course sometime
Yep, me too. I've looked online at some telescopes. Maybe Santa will be kind to me. Here's a good site about our solar system:http://nineplanets.org/

Great sighting opportunity later this evening here in Louisiana. A five minute flyover with the shuttle one minute behind the ISS.

Great sighting opportunity later this evening here in Louisiana. A five minute flyover with the shuttle one minute behind the ISS.
I'll be in Kauai in 2 weeks and there is a flyover while we are there. Should be incredible viewing from Ke'e or tunnels beach (weather permitting) with almost zero light pollution.
Bad info on my part, as the shuttle and station are still connected. I was misled by the website, which had them flying by one minute apart. Must be a glitch in their program.I had a good sighting though. Took my daughter to a lake near here, so we could get a good view. This is good bear habitat... for a funny video of one of the local bears on the golf course, go
...Anyway, we pull our car into a gravel pullout near the lake. As we get out, my daughter is talking 90 miles per hour, as she does from the time she wakes up until she goes to bed. While we're talking, I hear a loud, low, "growling" noise coming from the woods 30 yards away. I ask her to listen, and just as she starts to talk again, we hear it again. She asks if it's a bear, and I say I don't think so, but we move the car closer to the road anyway.We have fun watching the flyover, and the only thing we get attacked by are a hundred Louisiana mosquitoes the size of small commuter planes.I'm not sure what the growling was. If I'd been alone, I would have investigated it a little further.
  • 4 weeks later...

LCROSS is set to impact the moon a little over 3 hours from now. NASA tv will be covering it. I also found this site, which will have a free sream from a telescope.I guess in the overall scheme of things, this isn't one of NASA's highest profile missions, but I think there's something really cool about crashing a rocket into the Moon just to see what gets blasted up.