Countering Over Aggressiveness

I played in a tourney last week. This kid was really aggresive. He fought back from the short stack and ended up winning the tourney. I was on tilt and finished 3rd. I almost felt that he was buying a lot of pots, but my cards were very marginal to risk losing more than half my stack. I feel he was almost being reckless. What is the best way to counter a really aggresive player?

One way is to tighten up yourself and play those hands more aggressively than you normally would. Alot of people like to loosen up here and bust the guy on a couple of hands, but I don't like that method personally. My suggestion is to tighten up and play aggressively.By tighten up I don't necessarily mean play only big cards and suited connectors etc, I mean use your position to your advantage.Also realize that in that part of a tournament when you are down to the final few players the raising will be more rampant than normal play. Shorthanded play is just like that, so there is usually alot of raising and abnormal aggressiveness. Be prepared for this and adjust accordingly.

This is a good point.Once your opponent is in his comfort zone with taking the lead in most hands if you trap him he'll be wear to make the same mistake again, particularly at that level of play in the late goings of a tournament

This is good advice. I noticed that he sat on his hands a lot during the first part of the tourney when we were playing 7 handed. Once it got down the the final 4, he really came out firing. There was one point where I was second in chips, and he acted first. he went all in, the first time pre flop for him. I had A J off suit. I really though for awhile. I did not like this hand at all for some reason. I remembered a section from Super System that said this was a bad hadn to play more than 4 handed. I was about to call, but the fact that he went all in. Was this a bad lay down?Additionally. One time he raised pre flop, I was pondering an all in. But I just called. Flop comes out, he raises, and then I go all in. While he was thinking out loud, he turns over one of his cards, he has top pair, I have mid pair with staright draw. Is that legal? Can he do that? I alwyas thought that that was not permitted becasue you could read a players reaction.