I was playing at Awka last night at the 2-4 and had a tight aggressive image. I am UTG +1 ($600 stack) and raise my AsKd to $15 (standard). Folded to another semi-tight aggressive player, who raises to $45. folded back to me. I think and try to play back hands he has played aggressively. I can't remember him re raising anything in the 30-45 minutes we have been playing. I put him on either AJs or better or more likely AK, AA, KK, QQ, JJ or TT, maybe but not likely AQs. I think of re raising to $100, but don't want to over committ on a drawing hand if I am dominated, or racing. I think of folding, but I am getting 2:1 and guess I am racing... so I call. The flop comes out 952 all spades. Here I think is the mistake I made. I checked.... and rather quickly, telling him what I had. There is about $100 in the pot including blinds and early call. He fires $100. I go into the tank, I now put him on QQ-TT. I can't just call... hello I am on a draw. I can fold and cut my losses on a drawing hand... or I can re raise. He has $199 left behind after his bet. I start to think about my hand... I know what he has... as an aside... I had slow played a nut flush on him earlier... I have 9 spades for the nut, I have 3 aces... and 2 Kings.. (king of spades canceled). 14 outs.... unless he has AA or KK (which I don't put him on) I am a favorite... I also have a backdoor straight (4%) but that is what makes me the favorite... 52.5%Vs. 47.5% What should I doRecapAsKd Vs. QQ-TT$200 in potRiky ($555)Unknown ($199+$100bet)Flop 952 all spades...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You do not have a backdoor straight draw with AK on a 952 board.
42 comes I hit a straightthe other factor I need to consider is whether I want to risk 1/2 my stack on a race where I am only slightly ahead or wait for better situations where I am a monster not marginal favorite?

mostly you need to consider why you are putting him on what hand. it is pretty clear here that you are putting him on TT-QQ because that's what you want him to be on. you give no reasons why TT is any more or less likely than KK or AA (except combinations).you can't disclude him being on KK or AA unless you have a good reason for doing so.

42 comes I hit a straightthe other factor I need to consider is whether I want to risk 1/2 my stack on a race where I am only slightly ahead or wait for better situations where I am a monster not marginal favorite?
Half your stack is a bigger deal in a tourney. Unless that's all your money. If it's not all your money to your name then push it in. If you push then there's still a chance he'll fold something like KK or AA.if he has :KK he's a 54% favoriteAA 63%99 72%So unless you put him on a set then push it push it real good.
I would have pushed everything I had in the middle like Hellmuth did on HSP. Although, admittedly, I am not a very good player.

This is one that you needed to take some time on the flop and figure your plan of action. There is no legitimate way to say he does not have AA or KK. What you do know is he does not have AA with the Ace of spades. If you check you need to know what you are going to do if he bets before you actually check. Your options on the flop should include leading out. You had two overs to the flop and the nut flush draw. However you could still be behind % wise to AA and KK. The lead on the flop puts a lot of pressure on any hand even AA although he will not go away. If he just calls you get to see another card, if he raises including a push, you improved your odds to draw at him. Before you make this play you need to know how you will play the turn if he just calls you.If you are not going to lead out you almost have to push to his pot size bet. That would put the max pressure on him and as another poster said, if he does not have a set (and from your description of him it does not sound like he reraised you with 9-9) you are in reasonable shape. From there the POKER gods will determine the winner.

I love going strong with draws....However, I'm disturbed by your complete discount of AA/KK.Do you figure he would bet those hands less aggressively on the flop, hoping you call with AK/AQ ?I do agree that this bet looks more like QQ-TT, than a set or AA/KK.I think 13 outs is a good number to settle on (it conservative given your read).So, how often does he have to fold to make your chase worth it?If we assume you are behind now, and have ave of 13 outs.......less than 10% it appears.So, I push.

First,I discounted AA/KK because I saw him play them 2X and he made a min raise the first time, and flat called the raise the second time... he was in cutoff, and the button, blinds, and Utg were weak tight.... so a regular raise was not neccessary..... with those types of hands.... if he had them, he wouldn't want to scare me out... I did admitt my error was not thinking and leading at the pot... I think I should have lead $50-75 at it... 1/2 to 2/3 I pushedHe calledTurn 4dRiver 7hQQ is good... and so was my read.

First,I discounted AA/KK because I saw him play them 2X and he made a min raise the first time, and flat called the raise the second time... he was in cutoff, and the button, blinds, and Utg were weak tight.... so a regular raise was not neccessary..... with those types of hands.... if he had them, he wouldn't want to scare me out... I did admitt my error was not thinking and leading at the pot... I think I should have lead $50-75 at it... 1/2 to 2/3 I pushedHe calledTurn 4dRiver 7hQQ is good... and so was my read.
Did QQ have a spade? Just curious as it changes your outs.You were ahead, well played.Being slightly ahead + fold equity means this is a very profitable play.
Open push this flop.Come on. Basic.Good luck.
This isn't a tournament. Why would we push $300 into a $100 pot? If villain has his tight range of large PP's that the OP thinks he has, he's not folding. If villain has AK that will continuation bet this flop, we lose value. What is the point of open overpushing this flop?

This isn't a tournament. Why would we push $300 into a $100 pot? If villain has his tight range of large PP's that the OP thinks he has, he's not folding. If villain has AK that will continuation bet this flop, we lose value. What is the point of open overpushing this flop?Makes the other player make the tough decision. Establishes agression. Makes the same player make the same decision when we flop the nut straight. Makes the other player, and this is important, more likely to make mistakes.What's the confusing part?If you're looking at this hand in a vaccuum and we never play this player or another hand again and we need to extract absolute maximum value from this one hand only, pushing might not be right.I'm pretty sure you probably get to play another hand with him though.Good luck.

This isn't a tournament. Why would we push $300 into a $100 pot? If villain has his tight range of large PP's that the OP thinks he has, he's not folding. If villain has AK that will continuation bet this flop, we lose value. What is the point of open overpushing this flop?Makes the other player make the tough decision. Establishes agression. Makes the same player make the same decision when we flop the nut straight. Makes the other player, and this is important, more likely to make mistakes.What's the confusing part?If you're looking at this hand in a vaccuum and we never play this player or another hand again and we need to extract absolute maximum value from this one hand only, pushing might not be right.I'm pretty sure you probably get to play another hand with him though.Good luck.
I definately like the idea of establishing aggression here. However, I think this is wrong kind of aggression we want. This kind of aggression is the "put a bullseye on my chest type" of aggression. Especially in a live game, you start getting more people in the pot against you and therefore, more hands you have to dodge, scarier boards, etc. IMO, the right type of aggression to have is the type where an opponent is making decisions based on multiple streets in one decision. Especially live, the most imposing player is that player that's aggression makes it seem like he has a hand every time. I really dislike the type of game that relies heavily on flopping monsters and hoping that a player has flopped a strong enough hand to come along. I understand the point of it, but I think those that practice it miss a good amount of value i knowing how to extract value in marginal situations.

I really dislike the type of game that relies heavily on flopping monsters and hoping that a player has flopped a strong enough hand to come along. I understand the point of it, but I think those that practice it miss a good amount of value i knowing how to extract value in marginal situations.That's fine, but it's where the money is. There's a reason Spirit Rock is all in so much and it's not because he's missing value. Is it harder to play? Yes. Is there more variance? Yes. Is the winrate substantially higher? Without question.Good luck.

Whoa, for alota jack with ace high, and the dude puts em on a made hand. I'd consider folding to the reraise preflop with that read on occasion, and fold is the best option on the flop. You can only call on that flop and pray, push in witch in this case he's gonna take you for a ride, or fold and wonder why you called the bet in the first place.Again this goes against smasharooist NL theory. Cause I don't remember overplaying AKoff being a part of that strat.