Playing The 2nd Nuts To The Max

I was not in this hand. 2-5NL max buyin is 500PlayerAA is a regular LAG. and i mean real LAG -Player BB Is a regular, seems semi solid.stacks: very deep for this gamePlayerAA has 3200PlayerBB has 3500Player AA is in EP with 7,7Player AA opens with a raise of 20 from EP.Player BB re-raise to 60 from MP.folds back to Player AA who calls.flop is A,7,3playerAAleads out 200player BB goes all in.player AA insta calls.question: Only 1 hand can beat player AA. is that enough to warrant an insta call with these stack sizes?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was not in this hand. 2-5NL max buyin is 500PlayerAA is a regular LAG. and i mean real LAG -Player BB Is a regular, seems semi solid.stacks: very deep for this gamePlayerAA has 3200PlayerBB has 3500Player AA is in EP with 7,7Player AA opens with a raise of 20 from EP.Player BB re-raise to 60 from MP.folds back to Player AA who calls.flop is A,7,3playerAAleads out 200player BB goes all in.player AA insta calls.question: Only 1 hand can beat player AA. is that enough to warrant an insta call with these stack sizes?
nope. Unless he thinks BB stacks off lighter than AA ie AK-lower, which is usually never the case. I mean thats 600bbs deep right.

I'm not folding here, so whether it's an insta-call is a nonissue for me because whether I hesitate or not, I gotta believe his 3X BB pf raise range includes several hands other than AA. KK, QQ, JJ, AK possibly KQs, Possibly AQs, etc.

Rainbow flop?It's not an instacall by any means, but I don't know if I could find a fold there.
you do realize its for 600bbs right.

I don't instacall ever without the nuts for 3k in a 2-5nl game. It greatly depends how nitty player BB is. You would think with AA and super deep stacks he would want to protect his hand a little more preflop. He will literally get 0 folds from player AA on his pf reraise and I doubt hes looking for action postflop with the hand AA and the LAG AA in a super deep situation.Also, once the board comes with no draws besides 45, player BB has no reason to shut out the betting so hard. I would be more inclined to put BB on AK, A7, or A3 over Aces. This is all unless BB is super tight/weak which you don't seem to describe him as, if he's super tight weak a shove could mean AA, but the PF still wouldn't make sense.All that being said, I'd have to think it out this far if I had the 77, because stacking off 3k in a 2-5 game is pretty stupid. But I would call.Edit: Could you have named the players any more confusingly? AA with 77 and BB with the possible holding of AA.

IMO Player BB is holding AA at least 90% of the time and AK the other 10%, so thus its pretty much a fold for 600bbs
No matter what BB is holding his play is pretty bad.

This is an insta-call situation. I would say the chances of BB having AA are less than 1% given his LAG image and the fact that he has no draws to try to scare out with the huge raise. I'm putting him on AK, A7, or A3 almost for sure. Definitely a call.

This is an insta-call situation. I would say the chances of BB having AA are less than 1% given his LAG image and the fact that he has no draws to try to scare out with the huge raise. I'm putting him on AK, A7, or A3 almost for sure. Definitely a call.
Player BB is not LAG he is semi solid

If I am ever folding a set on the flop, it'd better be painfully obvious that I'm beaten.Krup, how do you give player BB, AA 90% of the time? Assuming this is a rainbow board, why is he shoving $3K into a $500 pot? Whatever hand he has, it's been played really weirdly and I also think that it's a terrible play regardless of what it is. If he does have AA, then unless the guy with the set of 7s actually has a set in this spot, he's like never going to get action. If the player pushing had AK, he wouldn't get action unless he's crushed.I snap call this every time. We have middle set. We are beaten ONLY by top set and the way the hand played out on the flop, top set makes no sense. I think it's more likely he has AK than AA here. I call this every day and I do it pretty quickly.

I'm so miffing up the names. Designating the players BB and AA, while BB could have AA, and AA has 77, a butterfly in tokyo flaps it's wings, 10,000 monkeys on 10,000 typewriters typing shakespeare, Jack be nimble, Jack be quick, and the cow jumped over the moon. This is the most confusing post ever. Especially when I'm just waking up. NEVER FOLD THOUGH, OK?

If I am ever folding a set on the flop, it'd better be painfully obvious that I'm beaten.Krup, how do you give player BB, AA 90% of the time? Assuming this is a rainbow board, why is he shoving $3K into a $500 pot? Whatever hand he has, it's been played really weirdly and I also think that it's a terrible play regardless of what it is. If he does have AA, then unless the guy with the set of 7s actually has a set in this spot, he's like never going to get action. If the player pushing had AK, he wouldn't get action unless he's crushed.
Reraise preflop and flop push. Player AA is a huge LAG. He leads flop so we push and have him stack off AK or AQ. I dunno your making me think now. I really to think it's as terrible as your making it out to be. Bad possibly but not terrible. I think he will get action from some hands other than 77. If he doesn't have an A or 77 or whatever other set is possible then f it we aren't getting paid anyways.

Oh, also, how can you seem semi-solid when you shove 3k+ into a pot of 320? Was he getting bullied by the lag or something?

there isnt enough information to answer this question.it all depends on the player. there are some people who are so tight they would never go all in for such a big bet with less than the expected AA. is he the sort of player who only shows a lot of agression when he has the nuts? if player A is loose and agressive its possible these two have been going at it all night and player B got frustrated and moved in with just an ace. or he refuses to be bullied by A and feels he has to make a stand. would this player re-raise with A7, A3, 33?? the poster said that B seemed semi solid but there are different types of solid. some guys are tight about there starting requirements for entering the pot but won't release a pair once they make it. being semi-solid doesnt mean a man isnt prone to overplaying hands. maybe B is losing in the game and looking for an excuse to get the money in the middle? (I know 500 max buy in its hard to be losing with a 3k stack but believe me it happens....)

For me, calls like this boil down to a player style thing.If I were the LAG with 777, and I was only in the game for the $500, I insta-call.I I were the TAG with 777, it would be hard to MAKE the call. Maybe that makes no sense at all. Maybe I can say it this way: • LAG chips come and go pretty quickly • TAG chips come in drop by drop. OK, so I know we always say we don't fold sets. So we don't. Moreover, I can't imagine Player BB who WOULDN'T slowplay a set of aces on this dry board to a LAG. So, more than a set of aces, this plays like Player BB has AK and wants to shut a possibly-floating LAG out of the pot, before some draw materializes on the turn.EDIT: I didn't think about 33, but that could very well be what player 33 (formerly known as AA) holds.
Oh, also, how can you seem semi-solid when you shove 3k+ into a pot of 320? Was he getting bullied by the lag or something?
By semi solid, i mean he is a good player, I wouldnt say he's good enough to be playing 2-5NL, but with 500 to blow, i guess anyone can play 2-5.

Ummm... Why would anyone play AA like this? I wouldn't instacall, but eventually I would, if he had AA I'd ponder the reasoning behind his play, and give him a pat on the back....But yes, I would call fairly fast

If I were the LAG with 777, and I was only in the game for the $500, I insta-call.
This is irrelevant. If you're in the game for $10 and you're up to $400,000, you call here if you think you're winning and you fold if you're behind. Being up or down is not supposed to have any bearing on financial decisions in pots. Play your hand as best you can.

Been thinking about this a little more in depth. I think we need a little more information on how player BB plays, but still not an insta-call, even though its more likely a call than fold.