Probably My Best Call Ever...

Hey all,I usually feel pretty good about my reads but have been having trouble pulling the trigger and trusting them. I just made this call:PokerStars Game #6564271853: Tournament #33343583, $4.00+$0.40 Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2006/10/08 - 16:34:33 (ET)Table '33343583 15' 9-max Seat #3 is the buttonSeat 1: itsallgood06 (2635 in chips) Seat 2: CamperoOo (4210 in chips) Seat 3: dmyth1 (9510 in chips) Seat 4: 4sapper4 (3240 in chips) Seat 5: tolaje (3340 in chips) Seat 6: 540 Fitter (3805 in chips) Seat 7: RickyG033 (4262 in chips) Seat 8: josheexxx (3480 in chips) Seat 9: mothamicree (1540 in chips) 4sapper4: posts small blind 50tolaje: posts big blind 100*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to RickyG033 [Ac Tc]540 Fitter: folds RickyG033: raises 200 to 300josheexxx: calls 300mothamicree: folds itsallgood06: folds CamperoOo: folds dmyth1: folds 4sapper4: folds tolaje: folds *** FLOP *** [6s 3c 9d]RickyG033: bets 400josheexxx: calls 400*** TURN *** [6s 3c 9d] [2d]RickyG033: bets 900josheexxx: calls 900*** RIVER *** [6s 3c 9d 2d] [Jc]RickyG033: bets 200josheexxx: raises 1300 to 1500RickyG033 said, "i dont know why im thinking u have 78"RickyG033 said, "or is it 45?"RickyG033 said, "this might be the worst call i've ever made"RickyG033: calls 1300*** SHOW DOWN ***josheexxx: shows [8h 7h] (high card Jack)RickyG033: shows [Ac Tc] (high card Ace)RickyG033 collected 6350 from pot*** SUMMARY ***Total pot 6350 | Rake 0 Board [6s 3c 9d 2d Jc]Seat 1: itsallgood06 folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 2: CamperoOo folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 3: dmyth1 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 4: 4sapper4 (small blind) folded before FlopSeat 5: tolaje (big blind) folded before FlopSeat 6: 540 Fitter folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 7: RickyG033 showed [Ac Tc] and won (6350) with high card AceSeat 8: josheexxx showed [8h 7h] and lost with high card JackSeat 9: mothamicree folded before Flop (didn't bet)Ok, so he pretty much insta called on the flop and turn, and since there was no flush draw out there, I had to put him on a OESD. I tried a blocker bet on the river to get it to showdown cheaply and I was faced with a raise. Figured it had to be 45 or 78, and figured 78 would be more likely since he called a raise. I trusted it and won a bunch of chips, and proceeded to lost half with AQ on a Q high flop to KK :club: Still in tho...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all,I usually feel pretty good about my reads but have been having trouble pulling the trigger and trusting them. I just made this call:PokerStars Game #6564271853: Tournament #33343583, $4.00+$0.40 Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2006/10/08 - 16:34:33 (ET)Table '33343583 15' 9-max Seat #3 is the buttonSeat 1: itsallgood06 (2635 in chips) Seat 2: CamperoOo (4210 in chips) Seat 3: dmyth1 (9510 in chips) Seat 4: 4sapper4 (3240 in chips) Seat 5: tolaje (3340 in chips) Seat 6: 540 Fitter (3805 in chips) Seat 7: RickyG033 (4262 in chips) Seat 8: josheexxx (3480 in chips) Seat 9: mothamicree (1540 in chips) 4sapper4: posts small blind 50tolaje: posts big blind 100*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to RickyG033 [Ac Tc]540 Fitter: folds RickyG033: raises 200 to 300josheexxx: calls 300mothamicree: folds itsallgood06: folds CamperoOo: folds dmyth1: folds 4sapper4: folds tolaje: folds *** FLOP *** [6s 3c 9d]RickyG033: bets 400josheexxx: calls 400*** TURN *** [6s 3c 9d] [2d]RickyG033: bets 900josheexxx: calls 900*** RIVER *** [6s 3c 9d 2d] [Jc]RickyG033: bets 200josheexxx: raises 1300 to 1500RickyG033 said, "i dont know why im thinking u have 78"RickyG033 said, "or is it 45?"RickyG033 said, "this might be the worst call i've ever made"RickyG033: calls 1300*** SHOW DOWN ***josheexxx: shows [8h 7h] (high card Jack)RickyG033: shows [Ac Tc] (high card Ace)RickyG033 collected 6350 from pot*** SUMMARY ***Total pot 6350 | Rake 0 Board [6s 3c 9d 2d Jc]Seat 1: itsallgood06 folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 2: CamperoOo folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 3: dmyth1 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 4: 4sapper4 (small blind) folded before FlopSeat 5: tolaje (big blind) folded before FlopSeat 6: 540 Fitter folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 7: RickyG033 showed [Ac Tc] and won (6350) with high card AceSeat 8: josheexxx showed [8h 7h] and lost with high card JackSeat 9: mothamicree folded before Flop (didn't bet)Ok, so he pretty much insta called on the flop and turn, and since there was no flush draw out there, I had to put him on a OESD. I tried a blocker bet on the river to get it to showdown cheaply and I was faced with a raise. Figured it had to be 45 or 78, and figured 78 would be more likely since he called a raise. I trusted it and won a bunch of chips, and proceeded to lost half with AQ on a Q high flop to KK :club: Still in tho...
use the hand converter tool please
:club: Nice call.I really do not like your bet on the end though.
I agree with you. I wanted to get to showdown cheaply, but looking back, the bet was way too small. It was asking to be raised. I should have bet maybe 1/4 or 1/5 or the pot. What are your thoughts?
I agree with you. I wanted to get to showdown cheaply, but looking back, the bet was way too small. It was asking to be raised. I should have bet maybe 1/4 or 1/5 or the pot. What are your thoughts?
I always think it's strange when someone bets less on the one street, than on the previous street.I'd prolly bet 900 again, or I'd c/f the turn. :club:
I always think it's strange when someone bets less on the one street, than on the previous street.I'd prolly bet 900 again, or I'd c/f the turn. :club:
Very Good point. Thanks for the insight, I love getting second opinions, it opens up multiple choices for the next time.

My favorite part is when he comments in the chat window "this could be the worst call I've ever made" and then posts that it's his Best Call Ever.

My favorite part is when he comments in the chat window "this could be the worst call I've ever made" and then posts that it's his Best Call Ever.
Lol QFTThats exactly what I was thinking
Lol QFTThats exactly what I was thinking
LOL, guess I should have said, "Either my worst call ever, or the best call ever"It was one of those situations that if I call and am right, I look like a genius, If I call and Im wrong, I look like the biggest donk in the world.

I hate your river bet as well unless your attempting to induce a bluff with a strong holding. If you fire another bullet on the river and not throw a pebble you probably don't have to make this call, but nice call anyway.

this is not a good call folks.quiit it.pretty dry board.Villain could have us crushed and sees no point in raisng flop/turn with our bettingI think it's a lucky call but against villains range and way it was played... not an +EV one.

this is not a good call folks.quiit it.pretty dry board.Villain could have us crushed and sees no point in raisng flop/turn with our bettingI think it's a lucky call but against villains range and way it was played... not an +EV one.
Come one now!! Give the guy some credit! If only for the fact that he even stated in the chat that he put him on 7 8. If he had a strong read that the 'villain' was drawing (the just call on the turn following a strong flop bet usually, i say usually not always, indicates a draw - logic being that the pot is quite big at this stage, and it is unusual for a player to be this 'tricky' on the turn, as they have slowplayed enough and after a strong 900 bet, would most of the time re - raise here, to avoid getting outdrawn themselves, in an attempt to protect their hand at this stage.If the villain had a set, less likely an overpair, and even less likely 2 pair, he would want to get the raiser off any draw he may have picked up himself, or at least make him pay to see it rather than ley him take complete control of the hand.The river bet is weak, but once that was done, he correctly read the strong river raise as a busted draw - he stated it for heaven's sake!Just thought I'd give my take on this, as I think to dismiss it as 'not a good call' and a 'lucky call' is arrogant and misguided. Trust me, I know that a good laydown is just as important a lot of the time, along with a well appointed positional bluff, but there is no greater feeling than making a good call after putting a player on a certain hand.It will give this guy confidence in his play and his reads (as long as he doesn't get carried away with it !), which will in turn improve his results. I say EXCELLENT call Sir, and I especially like the fact that you were willing to state in the chatroom pre-call, what you were thinking.If the villain turns over trips, he is prepared to look stupid, but he followed his read.
Come one now!! Give the guy some credit! If only for the fact that he even stated in the chat that he put him on 7 8.
giving rationale for it does not in itself make it a good call.the board is too dry to limit the villain to a draw often enough to make this a call. Villain as well hardly needs to rasie to protect a set here...and lots of players in these tournies would be dumb enough to slow play two pair.quit being results orientedeveryone goes with their read, tht's nothing specialsometimes we just change our minds and go with that read

Giving rationale definately does in my opinion, make it a well considered call.At this stage, the river, the only +EV/-EV decision is the amount in the pot (3400) and the amount to call (1300). There are no more cards to come, so you must then decide the range, agreed. 2 pair is out, wouldn't call early position raise with 9 3, 9 6 etc. Overpair? Unless he is VERY tricky, just flat calling from 3rd position is unlikely - then to continue this trend through the turn? That's out for me. So that leaves trips. - a possiblility most definately. But considering other range hands such as 7 8, A10, AQ, AK diamonds (2nd diamond on the turn could have priced in a flush draw) there are many hands he could beat, after the 'blank' Jc comes on the river. Re-raising big with AJ makes no sense also, unless he had called with no pair no draw and was then prepared to bet his jack big. Surely he would just call the weak 200 river bet with a J.So, he is getting 2.5/1 if he calls, and he can beat the busted straight and busted flush draws.I would not have played the hand this way, in a sense I am playing devil's advocate, BUT i can see the logic behind his call and I like it. He read the calls as weakness and he was right. Side note: stop being results oriented? I am very results/profit oriented and I consider profit to be the reason that I play poker. Don't get your point.

Side note: stop being results oriented? I am very results/profit oriented and I consider profit to be the reason that I play poker. Don't get your point.
Basically..Just because you won or lost doesn't mean it was a good or bad play. If the OP posted this hand and then later told you the Villian had a slow played set, EVERYONE, including you, would've said it was a bad call, but because OP won the hand, everyone thinks it was a great call. Instead of relying on the results, we need to determine if it actually was a "good" or "bad" call. Just saying.If the OP posted this hand up without giving away the end result, then we would all have to determine whether or not it was a good call.