Hu Tournament +'s / -'s

Hey I was just wondering what people think in general of HU tournaments and if "luck" is a bigger factor in HU than in standard tournaments. I would think that if you run into a "card dead" stretch that you really have no hope of winning unless you are against a total noob that shouldn't be there in the first place. Thoughts?

Hey I was just wondering what people think in general of HU tournaments and if "luck" is a bigger factor in HU than in standard tournaments. I would think that if you run into a "card dead" stretch that you really have no hope of winning unless you are against a total noob that shouldn't be there in the first place. Thoughts?
I'm not a HU expert by any means, but I feel like being card dead in a HU match isn't really that much of a factor. Sure it helps to get great hands and have your good hands hit, but often times you are playing (and raising a great deal of the time) any 2 cards in position against your opponent. You don't sit around and wait for premium hands. The majority of hands are won without showdown. I would say that luck plays a smaller factor in HU matches than in standard tournaments due to the necessity of being able to read your opponents, decide how strong/weak they are, and make timely raises, re-raises, c-bets, and folds. From the videos I've watched, most of the really good HU players are very aggressive and succeed because they put their opponents in a lot of difficult spots where they are forced to make tough decisions. Luck has very little to do with it.
  • 2 months later...