Can You Live On $100nl

I am just doing some thinking here at work. About how I don't want to be here anymore. Now I understand that you need 6 months worth of money stuck away. But can you make enough to support a bachelor at $100NL. Basically I would need to make $3k a month to have enough to put a little away and live comfortably. 50 hands an hour/table, 4 tables, 7 hours a day, 5 days a week = about 30k hands a month. at 3 ptbb/100 that seems to be $1800 and I would think that with that sort of volume you can make some cash in bonus and rake back. I am really just looking for a goal here. Abaddaba I know you are a money making fiend but I can't play limit :club: Anyone out there got any thoughts?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, getting rakeback if you've EVER established an account at a place is very very very hard. Please, someone prove me wrong. I've had 2 accounts suspended on FTP in attempts to use rakeback. I'm at the point where I might just wait until I move and use someone else's bank account etc, and if/when I cash out to use a check.But yes, I think $100NL is liveable but will take lots of work. The problem is, first, if you live off poker you will want to move up eventually to make for a more comfortable living. You need a huge b/r especially if you do not intend to let it grow. You need 50 Buy-ins so that if you take the sickest bad beats for 30 days straight just after you've withdrawn cash for living expenses, you will be fine.I couldn't imagine doing poker for a living and not having to hit 40-50k hands per month. Hell, my personal plan involves 8-tabling.50 hands/hour is conservative for FR and way low for 6max. If you are playing FR you can easily handle 6 tables if you can do 4. The action is so slow that it's trivial. 6 max, 4 tables seems just right with a possible MTT or what not as well (super slow action).If you can hit 300 hands/hour * 7 hours/day you can get 42k hands per month. If you win 5 PTBB/100 at $100 NL that's $4200/month. 3 PTBB/100 = $2520.00. If you can get up to 8-tabling (again, reasonable with FR) you can play less even 500 hands * 6 hours = 60k hands/month. At 3 PTBB/100 that is $3,600.What the hell does a bachelor do with $3k/month after taxes (or never taxed =P)?

Playing an extremely formulaic shortstack strategy, you can make 5 ptbb/100 and play 6 to 10 tables at a time at Party's $100 NL. That will earn $30-$50 an hour. In addition, the bankroll requirements are lower.

First, getting rakeback if you've EVER established an account at a place is very very very hard. Please, someone prove me wrong. I've had 2 accounts suspended on FTP in attempts to use rakeback. I'm at the point where I might just wait until I move and use someone else's bank account etc, and if/when I cash out to use a check.But yes, I think $100NL is liveable but will take lots of work. The problem is, first, if you live off poker you will want to move up eventually to make for a more comfortable living. You need a huge b/r especially if you do not intend to let it grow. You need 50 Buy-ins so that if you take the sickest bad beats for 30 days straight just after you've withdrawn cash for living expenses, you will be fine.I couldn't imagine doing poker for a living and not having to hit 40-50k hands per month. Hell, my personal plan involves 8-tabling.50 hands/hour is conservative for FR and way low for 6max. If you are playing FR you can easily handle 6 tables if you can do 4. The action is so slow that it's trivial. 6 max, 4 tables seems just right with a possible MTT or what not as well (super slow action).If you can hit 300 hands/hour * 7 hours/day you can get 42k hands per month. If you win 5 PTBB/100 at $100 NL that's $4200/month. 3 PTBB/100 = $2520.00. If you can get up to 8-tabling (again, reasonable with FR) you can play less even 500 hands * 6 hours = 60k hands/month. At 3 PTBB/100 that is $3,600.What the hell does a bachelor do with $3k/month after taxes (or never taxed =P)?
I live in Boston, MA, everything is super expensive. I also don't need 3k a month but I want to make sure I error on the side of caution.Also I think I might just take a leave of absense from work for 2 months and give it a go, that way I have my job waiting for me when I get back, and I keep my health insurance.

I find 6-max NL cash games very difficult to play with more than two tables. It all depends on your style. I think to get 4 easily, you'd need a really TAG approach, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it automatically for someone who doesn't do it regularly.Back to the original question, it might be possible to live on NL $100, but I'd say anyone who can live on NL $100 could live on NL $200 a lot easier. Especially, if you're looking to take out $3,000 a month for expenses, you should really move up limits before you start doing this full-time. I'd say plug away at the NL $100 for a while, taking some liberal shots at NL $200 while you still have a job. Then, if you have a minimum of 25 buy-ins at NL 200 and are beating the game really consistently, you can think about quitting. Realize though, that you're still not going to have a lot of wiggle room, and if you start tilting at all, there's a very good chance you'll be broke in a month or two.

I find 6-max NL cash games very difficult to play with more than two tables. It all depends on your style. I think to get 4 easily, you'd need a really TAG approach, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it automatically for someone who doesn't do it regularly.Back to the original question, it might be possible to live on NL $100, but I'd say anyone who can live on NL $100 could live on NL $200 a lot easier. Especially, if you're looking to take out $3,000 a month for expenses, you should really move up limits before you start doing this full-time. I'd say plug away at the NL $100 for a while, taking some liberal shots at NL $200 while you still have a job. Then, if you have a minimum of 25 buy-ins at NL 200 and are beating the game really consistently, you can think about quitting. Realize though, that you're still not going to have a lot of wiggle room, and if you start tilting at all, there's a very good chance you'll be broke in a month or two.
yeah you are probably correct. The only problem is that if I don't do something I am going to quit my job and be jobless anyway (customer service sucks).I think I am going to play the rest of this month, October and November. see how it goes, but as of right now I am taking a leave of absense for December to TPMM :club: As for playing 6-max I can't play more than 2 at a time. Most of the money I have made has been from really paying attention to what is going on in the game, not what poker tracker tells me.

You could, but it wouldnt be worth it. If you can play at slightly higher levels, and sustain a reasonable rate, you'd be alot more comfortable, and could possibly play less, or make more money.

I think 3 ptbb/100 is WAAAAAAY below your potential.I'm not 100% sure of the long term sustainable numbers, but my understanding was anything between 8-12 was VERY good, and something like 6-10 was pretty standard.After 18k hands, I run at > 10 ptbb/100, and my goal is to keep it at 10 ptbb/100 by the end of this month, hopefully a total of about 40k hands in my DB, and if I do that, I think it's very easy to live off of $100 NL. In my PT DB, my MT ratio is only like 2.3, meaning on average, I'm playing about 2 tables, and I still make an hourly wage of $24/hour.Since I don't have the expenses that most people have, as I live at home, I do have a plan to use $100 NL profits as my only source of income.If you play 20k hands in a month, at 10ptbb/100, you make $4k in a month. That's more than enough for me.- ZachEDIT- FWIW, my plan includes quickly moving up to $200 NL when my roll is suitable, hopefully, at the end of this month, I would be close, and have enough saved up in my bank to allow for a few months of expenses. After rethinking your situation, $3000/month in expenses is a lot, and that would be very tight for $100 NL.

I think 3 ptbb/100 is WAAAAAAY below your potential.I'm not 100% sure of the long term sustainable numbers, but my understanding was anything between 8-12 was VERY good, and something like 6-10 was pretty standard.After 18k hands, I run at > 10 ptbb/100, and my goal is to keep it at 10 ptbb/100 by the end of this month, hopefully a total of about 40k hands in my DB, and if I do that, I think it's very easy to live off of $100 NL. In my PT DB, my MT ratio is only like 2.3, meaning on average, I'm playing about 2 tables, and I still make an hourly wage of $24/hour.Since I don't have the expenses that most people have, as I live at home, I do have a plan to use $100 NL profits as my only source of income.If you play 20k hands in a month, at 10ptbb/100, you make $4k in a month. That's more than enough for me.- Zach
Meh, I give him kudos for being conservative. You don't want to make a life altering plan based on your A-game. 8 PTBB+/100 is crushing btw, but I agree that most people here who have obviously shown interest in improving their game, can easily obtain 5-10+ PTBB especially at a low stake. But don't discourage him from being conservative before he quits his job =P.
Meh, I give him kudos for being conservative. You don't want to make a life altering plan based on your A-game. 8 PTBB+/100 is crushing btw, but I agree that most people here who have obviously shown interest in improving their game, can easily obtain 5-10+ PTBB especially at a low stake. But don't discourage him from being conservative before he quits his job =P.
I am not quiting my crappy job. I am just going to take a leave of absense so I can keep my health insurance, and make sure I really can play that many hours of poker and not hate it.
I am not quiting my crappy job. I am just going to take a leave of absense so I can keep my health insurance, and make sure I really can play that many hours of poker and not hate it.
Good luck dude.Remember us slaves while you wake up around 11:00 and a busy day is the days you shower and shave.
You will hate it.But can you live on .50/1NL? Definitely.
I play poker pretty much every second that I'm not at work or school, and I most definitely do not hate it.If I'm not at work or school, I'm either reading about poker on FCP, or playing poker, or both. I love it.
Without a doubt. Im doing it on 2-4 right now, limit. I just took the sicket beats of my career within the last 5,000 hands and lost nearly 200BB. That is sick. HOWEVER, before I went pro I saved up and earned a BR of 800BB, so the 200BB is sick, but I will get it all back in time. I also played Full Tilt today for the first time in a while, Rakeback/Bonus equipped, and I made $160 and Im $3 away from the $20 bonus, and rakeback will help out too.So anyway, yes of course you can make a living play 100NL. But like others said, 50 buy ins would be needed, plus you would need to be a good player. And playing 3 tables minimum, 30-40 hours a week.
yeah you are probably correct. The only problem is that if I don't do something I am going to quit my job and be jobless anyway (customer service sucks).I think I am going to play the rest of this month, October and November. see how it goes, but as of right now I am taking a leave of absense for December to TPMM :club: As for playing 6-max I can't play more than 2 at a time. Most of the money I have made has been from really paying attention to what is going on in the game, not what poker tracker tells me.
If tthis is true maybe you should be playing live.
If tthis is true maybe you should be playing live.
I would if I could but that would involve getting a car, actually last night someone told me about a poker game involving an some sort of rich lady who loves throwing money around a 5/10 home game, dealers choice....yum yum.They have never heard of O8, i am going to rape and pillage that game. :club: Also I don't think I will hate poker if I play that much, I have been playing tons of hours for 4 to 5 years now and don't hate it yet....
I would if I could but that would involve getting a car, actually last night someone told me about a poker game involving an some sort of rich lady who loves throwing money around a 5/10 home game, dealers choice....yum yum.They have never heard of O8, i am going to rape and pillage that game. :club: Also I don't think I will hate poker if I play that much, I have been playing tons of hours for 4 to 5 years now and don't hate it yet....
do you play any other games well besides hold em?

I sometimes think of living on low-middle limits and it seems pretty doable.4-tabling 100$NL 7 hours a day you will get about 1000$ in Rakeback alone.Clearing a few reload bonuses and crypto monthly bonuses you can make about 500$ from bonuses.Well that makes 1500$ a month just for breaking even.Putting it this way it seems quite doable.But i have no idea what you are gonna do when you get cold decked for a month or have a few months in the red in a row.

do you play any other games well besides hold em?
I am a solid stud playerOmaha better than mostNever played much 5 card draw.I am also thinking about mixing some of those games in online, I have the poker tracker for stud and omaha too. I was reading Wintermutes blog, and there are some really bad PLO8 players out there...

Either I've just been running really, really well lately, or the mid-limit Stud games on Party are the softest poker games on the entire internet. The former's still a strong possibility, but I'm leaning toward the latter. Even at 30/60, half of the table will call on 3rd with hands like 578 and A72 with no flush possibility.