Aqs Vs Button Raise And Sb Iso.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $3.00+$0.25 Tournament, 1500/3000 Blinds 375 Ante (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comHero (BB) (t34937)UTG (t19854)MP (t26017)Button (t17320)SB (t36872)Hero's M: 5.48Preflop: Hero is BB with Qspade.gif, Aspade.gif2 folds, Button raises to t6000, SB raises to t36497 (All-In), Hero?Button was 40/20 over 45 hands.SB was 16/13 over 38 hands. I hadn't seen SB isolate shove or 3-bet up until this point, he'd shown down only good hands and had not been shoving frequently.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally, it's a fold because AQ doesn't play as well multiway in all-in showdowns, and with 1/3rd of button's stack in facing an overshove, I'm pretty sure he's calling. But also, we stand to move up if button gets eliminated, and we have relatively strong chip position here.

I would have a hard time folding given that we probably have the button dominated, and we have a good chance that we're flipping against SB. I mean, SB is tight but also shortstacked like everyone here (this is why I hate turbos). Given the structure, how do we know we're going to get another chance?

Button may be a LAG but unless he's brain-dead he's also committed himself with that raise. If SB is a reasonable player he would notice that, which should tighten his restealing range (which is already fairly tight given his stats). The problem with being 3-way here is that if SB has a good PP, Button may be holding one of your A or Q outs.

I would fold here, at best we are a coin-flip and we are likely dominated. Also, we have plenty of chips not to be risking it here. Just realized this is a turbo and everyone is short, I call and hope for the best. I don't :club: turbo's.

this is actually probably close but a fold due to icm and the fact that button's std open as opposed to shoving might narrow his range toward stronger hands, and tight SB knows he has no FE and shoves anyway, obviously for value. i prob call JJ+, AK but icm might even say that JJ and/or AK are folds as well depending on what ranges you assign villains...people in these have such a poor understanding of how to play a short stack that you'll still have a great shot at winning by playing correct jam or fold from here on out.

I would fold here, at best we are a coin-flip and we are likely dominated. Also, we have plenty of chips not to be risking it here. Just realized this is a turbo and everyone is short, I call and hope for the best. I don't :club: turbo's.
This being a turbo doesn't really affect the EV of shoving or folding. If the blinds are going up in the next few hands it may have an impact, but if we're 4 minutes from a level change we shouldn't worry about it. A lot of people use the fact that it is a turbo to rationalize poor play.
This being a turbo doesn't really affect the EV of shoving or folding. If the blinds are going up in the next few hands it may have an impact, but if we're 4 minutes from a level change we shouldn't worry about it. A lot of people use the fact that it is a turbo to rationalize poor play.
QFT.FWIW I muck because it seems that you're close if not in the monies already, and I can't imagine you're not going to show up very marginal against SB, even if you're ahead. You need SB to have fallen for his AJ really bad or you're in trouble, methinks.
This being a turbo doesn't really affect the EV of shoving or folding. If the blinds are going up in the next few hands it may have an impact, but if we're 4 minutes from a level change we shouldn't worry about it.
I don't agree. You're not going to get many hands in four minutes. I think mk made some good points though.
Solid posts guys. I folded, the button called, showed KT and the SB showed AK.
Nice fold. I was kind of hoping SB had something like 99-JJ, figured the button would be in there pretty light.
I don't agree. You're not going to get many hands in four minutes. I think mk made some good points though.
The play is either +EV or it isn't, and being a turbo or regular structure won't change that. Sometimes if you are in EP and the blinds are going up very soon you can adjust for that. But you can do that with a regular structure as well.We don't need to get big hands to win a tournament when you are 5 handed!At this point in the tournament we should have reasonable reads on every player and should be able to pushbot very profitably.
The play is either +EV or it isn't, and being a turbo or regular structure won't change that.
I totally disagree. I don't agree with everything Arnold Snyder (author of the Poker Tournament Formula books, Vol. II of which mentions me on one page) says by any means, but in his debates with the 2+2 folks (particularly with David Sklansky) I think he totally wins on this issue. You and 2+2ers believe that each hand should be evaluated in a vacuum (well, I don't mean in terms of reads but in terms of the math of it). Snyder argues (quite effectively I believe) that the structure has to be taken into account. And with five minute blind levels, the blinds are always "going up very soon". Think of an extreme example where the blinds double after every hand, compared to another extreme where they go up once an hour (and you're 45 minutes away). It's not the same decision in each spot.
Even though there's a large pay increase for each place? I think that has to be factored in.
Yes, in scenarios where the decision is close, but this is like a "wtf inta shove, dont think twice and dont make a thread about it"decision.
Yes, in scenarios where the decision is close, but this is like a "wtf inta shove, dont think twice and dont make a thread about it"decision.
A lot of people disagreed about what to do, which to me inherently justifies the thread.
A lot of people disagreeing does not mean a decision is close.DUCY?
As a plus, at least people have learned something, even if it is a straight-forward call for tournament regulars.
As a plus, at least people have learned something, even if it is a straight-forward call for tournament regulars.
I really don't see much learning going on in this forum. More like a lot of weak tight regular posters who are stubborn in their ways.
A lot of people disagreeing does not mean a decision is close.
I wasn't saying it did--only that it wasn't a decision that was obvious to everyone and therefore pointless to discuss.