Some $4.40 Ak Hands

Here's the first one.. how do you play it preflop?PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4.00+$0.40 Tournament, 10/20 Blinds (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comMP1 (t1420)MP2 (t1510)Hero (MP3) (t1470)CO (t2180)Button (t1820)SB (t1420)BB (t1360)UTG (t1500)UTG+1 (t820)Hero's M: 49.00Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A :ts, K :4h1 fold, UTG+1 calls t20, MP1 bets t120, 1 fold, Hero ????? And how about this one?PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4.00+$0.40 Tournament, 10/20 Blinds (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comUTG+1 (t1460)MP1 (t1710)Hero (MP2) (t2875)MP3 (t1705)CO (t2140)Button (t1475)SB (t1015)BB (t1740)UTG (t840)Hero's M: 95.83Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A :club:, K :5c1 fold, UTG+1 calls t20, 1 fold, Hero bets t100, 2 folds, Button raises to t220, 3 folds, Hero ??????

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#1. standard 3-bet about 300 chips sounds good#2. Small raise i think pot odds force a call but be careful because if this is a good player he seems to not be too scared to bet harder to force you out so small ball if you hit a pair

oh and you may wanna be prepared to shove in #1

I would definitely take a different tact from the others.I flat both hands. I try gamble as little as possible early in a tournament. The first hand you have position so I'd play it pretty abc.The second hands seems like a pair or AK/AQ. I call if I hit I bet. If I whiff. I check/fold.

I 3 bet the first hand and shove the second one. Since people are so willing to stack off with weaker aces in these 4.40s, I don't mind getting it in in either spot

WoW I can't believe how many people want to just shove AK first chance they get at the beginning of a tourny. wildspoke is the only one I agree with at all...I could see 3-betting the first hand but in practice I probably wouldn't that early. Maybe I'm just way more of a small-baller compared to the rest of you guys but I would not think it wise to risk everything in the first level of a tourny with AK preflop..its called poker, its OK to play some.

WoW I can't believe how many people want to just shove AK first chance they get at the beginning of a tourny. wildspoke is the only one I agree with at all...I could see 3-betting the first hand but in practice I probably wouldn't that early. Maybe I'm just way more of a small-baller compared to the rest of you guys but I would not think it wise to risk everything in the first level of a tourny with AK preflop..its called poker, its OK to play some.
omg you nits tilt me soo much when it comes to this...have you ever played a 4.40?!?!?! AK is the nutzzzz here. We are getting called by worse hands PF (many Ax, KT+, small and mid PPs), yeah, it sucks to race at times, but we have to exploit our edge when we can, this is a time we can do that. Plus, we will get folds as well. I never fold AA, KK, QQ, and AK in 4.40s...never
omg you nits tilt me soo much when it comes to this...have you ever played a 4.40?!?!?! AK is the nutzzzz here. We are getting called by worse hands PF (many Ax, KT+, small and mid PPs), yeah, it sucks to race at times, but we have to exploit our edge when we can, this is a time we can do that. Plus, we will get folds as well. I never fold AA, KK, QQ, and AK in 4.40s...never
I have in fact played many 4.40's. AK is not the nutzzzzz anywhere. Sure sometimes you'll get what you want and someone will donk off to you with Ax. Mostly if you get called your racing, and of course theres the few times your crushed. I enjoy people who like to overbetshove AK into pots like this early in ANY tourny. They are the dead money. I don't care what you bought in for, if your good enough to outplay the competition then that should be what you are trying to do, not get into races this early or shove with drawing hands hoping you get called by something worse.
Nobody suggested folding, but seeing the flop in position and seeing how the other people behave is better than to "race" against aces or kings, if one of the other two people happens to hold those.
you are lol
Good one. Anyway I checked just to see if anything I said was worth a shit...I have played 81 $4.40's and have an ROI of 99% finishing ITM 14.68%. Not a ton of stats to write home about but I think I can say I have a decent idea about how to play these.

I just shove and wait to be 3 outed by A7. In the long run I would say that is deffinatly the most profitable play. The instances of being called by a weaker ace far outnumber the times you would be up against AA KK. Of course in a deeper structured/higher buy in I take a diffrent tact but in these I am happy to get it in preflop and if I lose oh well on to the next one. Only time I lay it down is with a shove and a call ahead of me.

i just dont see the logic....10/20 blinds and people always wanna spew shove in these forums.....sliding all your chips to win a little is just stupid......are most of the people here sliders? (it would explain a lot)

lol.... yes the blinds are at 10/20 but villian has already put in 220. People are very willing to stack off here with weaker aces. You are probably up against a pair but thats ok because you are up against a weaker ace here enough to gamble.

lol.... yes the blinds are at 10/20 but villian has already put in 220. People are very willing to stack off here with weaker aces. You are probably up against a pair but thats ok because you are up against a weaker ace here enough to gamble.
i dont mind #2 but im talking in general....just look at all the hands on this forum where people advocate spew shoving with top pair when they have been raised or bet into on the flop turn or river after 3 limpers came in preflop

Hand #1 I call in position. Hand #2 I 3bet because we're oop. Yes I realize this is a 4.40 donkament, that's also half the reason I want to not race off against 99-JJ. A lot of the strength of AK is when you shove getting hands like TT to fold out and you pick up a lot of equity. In this donkament, no one is going to fold 99-JJ, and we're going to be in a race in the first level far more often than we'd like. The shove AK pre play is better reserved for tourneys where people can fold mid pairs. Hand #2, yes I 3bet but wtf do we shove? Just 3bet/call a shove. You'd be surprised how many times people flat the 3bet with like 66-88 but then fold when you shove on the QJ9 board.

Hand #1 I call in position. Hand #2 I 3bet because we're oop. Yes I realize this is a 4.40 donkament, that's also half the reason I want to not race off against 99-JJ. A lot of the strength of AK is when you shove getting hands like TT to fold out and you pick up a lot of equity. In this donkament, no one is going to fold 99-JJ, and we're going to be in a race in the first level far more often than we'd like. The shove AK pre play is better reserved for tourneys where people can fold mid pairs. Hand #2, yes I 3bet but wtf do we shove? Just 3bet/call a shove. You'd be surprised how many times people flat the 3bet with like 66-88 but then fold when you shove on the QJ9 board.
good post. I think the bolded is a very good point.
Why race when you don't have to? You have plenty of chips and can find a bigger edge somewhere else.AA, KK, QQ, and AK I don't know who would ever fold those hands either. And we're not saying fold. We're saying change gears and allow yourself the chance to make better decisions against weaker opponents. Why leave it up to chance?
Why race when you don't have to? You have plenty of chips and can find a bigger edge somewhere else.AA, KK, QQ, and AK I don't know who would ever fold those hands either. And we're not saying fold. We're saying change gears and allow yourself the chance to make better decisions against weaker opponents. Why leave it up to chance?
+8

I think threads like these come down to volume played. If you're going to play 100 4.40s today, then just shove AK and forget it because the times you double through AQ, AJ, etc. are worth it, and you'll win 50% of the 88-QQ hands that call you anyway.If, however, you're going to play like 2 a day and get tilted spending an hour only to lose to 33, then you should call/3-bet but not shove.