in a tourney yesterday.10 tables down to 4.i was above average stack in sb position. seat 6 called. button raised 3x bb. i have watched the guy play so long i was certain he had AK or AQ.i looked at my cards after he raised - saw 2 ladies Qs Qd. i pushed all the stack right infront quickly (want to win the pot right there 5bbs at that point is not bad), representing Ks or As. i was not sure if i wanted him to call.he hesitated and after a long pause, he said 'call' reluctantly.yes, he hit the Ace, and he was about my stack so i got knocked out.should i have just called and see the flop? and push if A or K didn't hit? sorry for asking such a naive question, but i think opinions differ here. i am inclined to think in hindsight that maybe i should have just called.

you got yourself in as favourite, dont be worried about it. calling and folding if a A or K (and no Q ofc) hits is also ok, but if he has JJ/TT and some balls you're going to be making a bad fold. fairly standard hand anyway

fairly standard absolutely. but i wonder if there is a 'correct' play.unlikely that he has JJ/TT and will have balls to bet, especially given i have check raised people on double bluff a few times and he is sophisticated enough to remember those hands. also suppose he has JJ/TT and i dont reraise, what hand could he possibly put me on? he has to be worried about me having AK/AQ.putting your money with the best hand is all good and stuff and you will do fine in long run etc etc is good for a mathematician (i am one, and i understand the positive expected return game) but i think in tournaments, not so sure if risking the entire stack on Q's is warranted/correct.

Personally, I would have just called. If you know the player well enough to be able to put the guy on AK, or something bigger, you should just call and play hard after the flop. If he wants to call you with only two cards to come, it is a bad play on his part. You made it a little easier for him to call with all five cards to come.

You don’t talk about stack size compared to blinds, ie how much did you have left if you called and layed down to an A on the flop. With QQ I like to just call and wait to see a flop if I have chips to play with in case I need to get away from the hand. Bottom line you got your money in there with the best of it and the final table was still pretty far off so you need to look to make a move to get into a position to make it. So the I think the play is fine. I think the depth of your stack has a big factoring when making this play with QQ in the mid to later stages of a tournament.

This post is as much for me as you. I'll no doubt have to come back and read it. Above avg stack, 4 tables left. Good read. Double up now is a nice hit. You have the odds. While doubtful, there is the possibility he folds. The technically correct play is pushing it. Do I personally do it? Not always. Overall odds says it pays in the long run. My problem is I now view the the long run as three tables away.

the more i think about it, i feel like the better play is to just call. if you are in WSOP 2005 facing a similar situation, you don't want to gamble a coin toss at that point. one thing is you are short stacked completely and about to bust out.different note - does any one know if there is any DVD on dan harrington's play? i am the type of player who raises with 35 suited from late position so it probably does not fit my style but want to watch how he survives the WSOPs to final table - its quite a remarkable achievement (or luck) --- mayb tight is right in the tournies -- boy, that's boring.

correction to above -"one thing is you are short stacked completely and about to bust out. "i meant "one thing IF you are short stacked completely and about to bust out. "