Variance In Lhe 6 Max

What's the biggest downswing you have ran into and what are some typical downswings in LHE 6 max. I'm asking this because I am going through a terrible run over the past 3 days. Down 90BBs overall, and will have times where I will not win a hand in over 8 orbits. I do tend to tighten up when I go cold but overall I am just getting cold decked and not hitting flops. Just wondering what are some bad streaks that you all encounter and if the variance is higher at LHE 6 max opposed to full ring.

Variance is much higher.I almost went broke a few months ago after hitting a 250bb+ downswing over the weekend.Today I just hit a 80bb downswing in 2 hours.according to PT, my standard deviation per hour is 17.17BBs ($103)

lol 90 BBs.I had a > 300 BB downswing at 2/4.I no longer play SH Limit exclusively.Funny thing about that 2/4 downswing. I was moderately short rolled for 2/4 SH, about 300 BBs. I was on a stake, and he didn't mind me playing a bit out of the roll. But each time I would lose a ton at 2/4, I'd go to 5/10 and win a bit. I ended up making a bit at 5/10 on the few times I'd jump up, but lost oer 300 BBs during my 2/4 sessions. So, despite some people thinking I jumped way out of my roll and went bust, I really broke even/won a bit at 5/10, but lost it all at my normal levels.Either way, SH LHE will make me kill myself sooner than whenever my natural suicide date will be.- Zach

90BB really isn't that much. I started with 400BB for 3/6 SH back in May. I won for about 2k hands and was up something like 4 BB/100. I then went on a major downswing that devastated my confidence. Lost something like $800-$900 over about 5k hands during the downswing. I stopped playing a lot of SHLHE for a while (though in June I did manage to lose $100 in about 700 hands). Fortunately, my bankroll didn't go down too much from this b/c I was doing ok, tourneys. I still had over $2k in my roll.In August I decided to take another crack at SHLHE, this time playing 2/4. According to pokertracker I got my clock cleaned for a total of $941.79 over the course of 3500 hands. That blew. Not too long after that, I cashed out a chunk of my roll and decided to rebuild from around $1200. I've been hovering around that number for the past couple of months, continuing to run bad when I do play SHLHE for most of that time. It was worst on UB about a month and a half ago. I lost over 100BB playing 1/2, mostly on things like set over set and big pairs getting run down. I didn't have pokertracker on that, but I'm sure it wouldn't have been pretty for some of my premiums.Here's the crazy thing. LHE is my best game, I do think I'm capable of beating 6-max long-term. Now, I think that for at least part of my bad run I wasn't playing optimally, that wasn't all running bad. However, at least part of it was, and that's a good indication of the insane swings. The sad thing is, I'm back at it, trying to build a winning database at the 1/2 6-max game on FullTilt. After an insane heater today, +51BB in 260 hands, I'm at 2.9 BB/100 over 2100 hands. I feel like I have a second chance again. At any rate, that long post was basically meant to say...90BB is nothing. SHLHE is ridiculously sick. The fact that I play it is pretty much confirmation that I'm a masochist.

Some gross examples for you, from my database:*****************************************************************2/4 SH on Pokerstars - Note the 300 BB downswing, as previously mentioned:24shob6.jpgA fun 14K hand stretch:14klhenz6.jpgMy total graph at SH LHE, only 26K hands because I couldn't take anymore:shlhezn4.jpgBrings back some awful awful memories...

From what I can tell, my worst single session records for SHLHE were -94BB at 5/10 and -100BB at 20/40. My worst SHLHE streak at a specific level was -150BB at 20/40 over the course of three sessions. So to respond your question, rogue...100BB swings can certainly happen in single sessions...so over the course of three sessions, that's not unreasonable.

From what I can tell, my worst single session records for SHLHE were -94BB at 5/10 and -100BB at 20/40. My worst SHLHE streak at a specific level was -150BB at 20/40 over the course of three sessions. So to respond your question, rogue...100BB swings can certainly happen in single sessions...so over the course of three sessions, that's not unreasonable.
Thanks for the help. It's overall very frustrating since I have played I say tops 800 hands and lost 90 BBs, when I was consistently grinding and never really having a losing session. I just started playing limit holdem primarily a few weeks ago even tho I have played it for a while. I find it to be more profitable and less tilting than NLH cash games. Overall, are there times when you're playing and you will be cold decked and be missing every flop...not able to win a hand for over 7-8 orbits. Is this normal and how do you LHE grinders deal with this? Please any more advice from a daily LHE grinder would be amazing. Btw I have the bankroll to play 3/6 or 4/8 but am going to continue to grind out 2/4 until I am completely consistently winning and overall satisfied with my play.Edit** the downswings continue...lost 25BB more.. usually consists of my getting cold decked..and coolered. I win one pot every 3-4 orbits and get coolered losing to higher flushes. I have also flopped bottom sets, only to turn a boat then sure enough the river puts 2 pair out there, counterfeiting my boat. Sooo frustrating.
Thanks for the help. It's overall very frustrating since I have played I say tops 800 hands and lost 90 BBs, when I was consistently grinding and never really having a losing session. I just started playing limit holdem primarily a few weeks ago even tho I have played it for a while. I find it to be more profitable and less tilting than NLH cash games. Overall, are there times when you're playing and you will be cold decked and be missing every flop...not able to win a hand for over 7-8 orbits. Is this normal and how do you LHE grinders deal with this? Please any more advice from a daily LHE grinder would be amazing. Btw I have the bankroll to play 3/6 or 4/8 but am going to continue to grind out 2/4 until I am completely consistently winning and overall satisfied with my play.Edit** the downswings continue...lost 25BB more.. usually consists of my getting cold decked..and coolered. I win one pot every 3-4 orbits and get coolered losing to higher flushes. I have also flopped bottom sets, only to turn a boat then sure enough the river puts 2 pair out there, counterfeiting my boat. Sooo frustrating.
I found the bolded part to be funny. Most of us actually find LHE to be more tilt-inducing since there's more of a "helpless"/"I can't protect my hand!" feeling. What you've discussed also can be really frustrating...at least you can somewhat stay afloat with "easy" steals in low and mid-stakes NL games.It really just sounds like an unlucky run. I've certainly been there. When I was playing SHLHE as my primary game for a while, I'd sometimes sit down at a table and go half an hour without winning a pot...or getting in a cycle of winning some pots without showdown but consistently losing if it got to showdown. When you're 6-handed, you feel like you should be winning at least 1/6 pots...so when you're winning 1/30, you feel a bit cursed. My suggestion is to develop even better reads on your opponents. You want to keep the pressure on, you want to be getting value bets in, you want to be bluffing well, and you want to be picking off your opponents bluffs. One of the great things that I like about the game is that A-high (and even K-high) can sometimes be good enough to call with on the river. If you're winning those "close"/"difficult" pots, that'll often make your session.Let me also emphasize that good table and position selections are also valuable.As for cold-decks, nothing you can do...just gotta ride em out.
Btw I have the bankroll to play 3/6 or 4/8 but am going to continue to grind out 2/4 until I am completely consistently winning and overall satisfied with my play.
that's' a really good plan. Stick to it. SH LHE is a br breaker
I found the bolded part to be funny. Most of us actually find LHE to be more tilt-inducing since there's more of a "helpless"/"I can't protect my hand!" feeling. What you've discussed also can be really frustrating...at least you can somewhat stay afloat with "easy" steals in low and mid-stakes NL games.It really just sounds like an unlucky run. I've certainly been there. When I was playing SHLHE as my primary game for a while, I'd sometimes sit down at a table and go half an hour without winning a pot...or getting in a cycle of winning some pots without showdown but consistently losing if it got to showdown. When you're 6-handed, you feel like you should be winning at least 1/6 pots...so when you're winning 1/30, you feel a bit cursed. My suggestion is to develop even better reads on your opponents. You want to keep the pressure on, you want to be getting value bets in, you want to be bluffing well, and you want to be picking off your opponents bluffs. One of the great things that I like about the game is that A-high (and even K-high) can sometimes be good enough to call with on the river. If you're winning those "close"/"difficult" pots, that'll often make your session.Let me also emphasize that good table and position selections are also valuable.As for cold-decks, nothing you can do...just gotta ride em out.
I think NLH cash games are much more tilting since you can push with a huge favorite, get d1cked, lose your entire stack and tilt more money away.

Ugh I know BBFIDTS but seriously! This is how bad things are going!! I understand I was dog preflop but cmon man...seriously Stars hates me now and in the back of my head I'm praying he didn't have KK.PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9club.gif, 9heart.gif. Hero raises, 1 fold, SB 3-bets, 1 fold, Hero calls.Flop: (7 SB) 9spade.gif, 8club.gif, 3club.gif(2 players)SB bets, Hero calls.Turn: (4.50 BB) Kdiamond.gif(2 players)SB bets, Hero raises, SB 3-bets, Hero caps, SB calls.River: (12.50 BB) Tspade.gif(2 players)SB bets, Hero raises, SB 3-bets, Hero caps, SB calls.Final Pot: 20.50 BB*** SHOW DOWN ***ROGUE06: shows [9c 9h] (three of a kind, Nines)Nikkycat: shows [Kh Kc] (three of a kind, Kings)Nikkycat collected $80 from pot*** SUMMARY ***Total pot $82 | Rake $2

Ugh I know BBFIDTS but seriously! This is how bad things are going!! I understand I was dog preflop but cmon man...seriously Stars hates me now and in the back of my head I'm praying he didn't have KK.PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9club.gif, 9heart.gif. Hero raises, 1 fold, SB 3-bets, 1 fold, Hero calls.Flop: (7 SB) 9spade.gif, 8club.gif, 3club.gif(2 players)SB bets, Hero calls.Turn: (4.50 BB) Kdiamond.gif(2 players)SB bets, Hero raises, SB 3-bets, Hero caps, SB calls.River: (12.50 BB) Tspade.gif(2 players)SB bets, Hero raises, SB 3-bets, Hero caps, SB calls.Final Pot: 20.50 BB*** SHOW DOWN ***ROGUE06: shows [9c 9h] (three of a kind, Nines)Nikkycat: shows [Kh Kc] (three of a kind, Kings)Nikkycat collected $80 from pot*** SUMMARY ***Total pot $82 | Rake $2
Umm...yeah, unless this guy is a complete maniac, please don't cap this river.
Umm...yeah, unless this guy is a complete maniac, please don't cap this river.
He was very loose and there was a very good chance he had a smaller set or even 2 pair.
He was very loose and there was a very good chance he had a smaller set or even 2 pair.
maybe, but also a draw came in on the river. i'm calling that three bet every day. as far as this thread, its SHLHE, get used to the wonder pain that is it
maybe, but also a draw came in on the river. i'm calling that three bet every day. as far as this thread, its SHLHE, get used to the wonder pain that is it
wheee...KDawg agrees with me...maybe I'm not a complete donk.

That bad streak continues...nothing but coolers today. I hit a flush, lose to a higher one. I get a monster, lose to runner runner 2 pair. I catch a straight, they catch a flush. I feel completely helpless and it's a terrible feeling.

You should basically always be raising that flop.
You should basically always be raising that flop.
Didn't raise the flop cuz I didn't know how strong he was with his overpair, so I saved til the turn for a bigger raise at which point I realized he had a bigger hand than I thought and I starting capping. I don't think it was a bad play at all not to raise on the flop, because how many times do you reraise on the flop only to a fold or less raising on the turn or river. Overall you get much more value out of the turn raise on the majority of the hands if you're in that situation.
Didn't raise the flop cuz I didn't know how strong he was with his overpair, so I saved til the turn for a bigger raise at which point I realized he had a bigger hand than I thought and I starting capping. I don't think it was a bad play at all not to raise on the flop, because how many times do you reraise on the flop only to a fold or less raising on the turn or river. Overall you get much more value out of the turn raise on the majority of the hands if you're in that situation.
Yeah, but a turn raise screams even more strength than one on the flop and the action sometimes shuts down. The reason for that when lots of bets start going in on the turn, people usually have real/made hands...since it no longer makes sense to be pumping draws. On a draw heavy board like this, he can easily put you on a draw...or he might be on a draw himself. You'll still get decent action.

These threads are always fun...When I started playing to support myself, I had like 2200 in my roll, and I was playing like 4 full ring 3/6 tables for 4-10 hours a day. I almost never checked my bankroll, and would consistently rebuy when my stack was under 100 bucks, just out of habit.I had a bad long (8 hours) session once, didn't really remember winning any big pots. I just assumed I'd lost like 50ish bets. Maybe something like 75. When I went to the cashier, I gaped in horror to see that I'd lost just under 800 dollars (133ish bets). I had another downswing at 5-10, after which I was stuck playing 3-6, then 2/4 for a few weeks to chip-up again. 3500 bucks turned into 1800 turned into 1200. That's a 270 BB downswing, including a quads over quads hand that made me so sick I actually had to run into the bathroom and try not to vomit.For me, the biggest thing has just been finding a way to remind myself that I AM A WINNING PLAYER. When you're running good, you feel like every decision you make is perfect, and that nobody can touch you. But when you're running bad, you can't figure out how you've won in the past...Just keep your head up, be HONEST with yourself, and just play more hands. The best way to get through a downswing is to churn out 30K hands as fast as you can.

Just thought I'd throw this out there. I took an 80BB hit in 400 hands this morning. I probably tilted a little and made a few subpar plays, but mostly it was getting outdrawn like nobody's business. I'd had 4 winning sessions prior to that, but it pretty close to wiped them out. 6-max is a very swingy game. It's just something we have to live with. One piece of advice I thought of after my session is that it might be a good idea to quit or at least take a break for a while if you start runnning really bad in a session and feel like it might affect your play a bit. One tendency that I'm sure we all have is to try to get back to even or close to even when we're losing. I think that attempt probably cost me at least 40BB today, because I could have quit much sooner when I knew the session wasn't going my way, and just tried again later. Instead I tried to get some back and ended up losing more. Now, I'm not saying you should quit every time you start losing, but I think that the best players are often the ones who do the most to limit their losing sessions and I think that's a huge key. If things aren't going your way during a session, I think taking a break for a while and clearing your head could be immensely helpful. As it was, directly after a session like today's (where I dropped a ton of bets) I wasn't sure I ever wanted to play poker again. Now, that most of a day has passed, I'm feeling much more like getting back on the horse, but I think it's a good idea not to let it get to a point where it effects your psyche too badly. If you get down 40-50 bets, it probably isn't your day and you may want to consider taking a break. Just my 2 cents.