Who Knows More About Religion?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been posted already.Who knows more about being an American?A redneck with a GED equivalency make up testOr a Russian Communist who knows the names of the entire cabinet of the Reagen white house?Ask them to explain what Eve eating the forbidden fruit meant, then you won't be so impressed with their 'knowledge'

Ask them to explain what Eve eating the forbidden fruit meant, then you won't be so impressed with their 'knowledge'
I'm willing to bet that you wouldn't be impressed with the 'knowledge' of most christians when asked the same question, so that's neither here nor there.
I'm willing to bet that you wouldn't be impressed with the 'knowledge' of most christians when asked the same question, so that's neither here nor there.
Pretty sure that 99.99% of Christians would know that Eve eating the forbidden fruit brought sin into the world and got us kicked out of paradise.So far I have had to argue with two-three people here who are convinced that what Eve did was good for mankindIts kind of easy to follow the story if you read it, but some want to interject their desire to make everything wrong in the Bible because they think their knowledge level is on par with God.
Pretty sure that 99.99% of Christians would know that Eve eating the forbidden fruit brought sin into the world and got us kicked out of paradise.So far I have had to argue with two-three people here who are convinced that what Eve did was good for mankindIts kind of easy to follow the story if you read it, but some want to interject their desire to make everything wrong in the Bible because they think their knowledge level is on par with God.
And you think 99.99% of Christians have read it? I doubt 99.99% of Christians are even literate.Here are some results from the survey:Percentage of Christians who know what the first book of the bible is: 66%that the Golden Rule is not a commandment: 55%the names of the four gospels: 45%the birthplace of Jesus: 71%that Martin Luther inspired the Reformation: 46%who the vice president is: 58%And my favoritePercentage of Christians who know what an atheist is (Is an atheist someone who does NOT believe in God, believes in God, or is unsure whether God exists? ): 85%

True or false: Lasers work by focusing sound waves. 43% of Christians say TRUE 18% of Atheists say TRUETrue or false: Antibiotics will kill viruses as well as bacteria. 42% of Christians say TRUE 27% of Atheists say TRUEKnow that Darwin originated the theory of evolution by natural selection Christians: 68% Atheists: 96%

True or false: Lasers work by focusing sound waves. 43% of Christians say TRUE 18% of Atheists say TRUE
Sound "lasers" are a soon be to discovered technology, you'll hear about them soon.
True or false: Antibiotics will kill viruses as well as bacteria. 42% of Christians say TRUE 27% of Atheists say TRUE
Poorly worded sentence, are they asking if antibiotics will kill a virus as well as a bacteria, or that an antibiotic will kill kill a virus and a bacteria?I personally would answer this one the worse possible way just to punish them for being ambiguous.
Know that Darwin originated the theory of evolution by natural selection Christians: 68% Atheists: 96%
Darwin didn't originate the theory though, he was just following his fathers footprint along with a cadre of other poor thinkers form his day.But what a wonderful way to encapsulate the worthlessness of this poll by showing a question that 96% of atheist got wrong about their own religion.
And you think 99.99% of Christians have read it? I doubt 99.99% of Christians are even literate.Here are some results from the survey:Percentage of Christians who know what the first book of the bible is: 66%that the Golden Rule is not a commandment: 55%the names of the four gospels: 45%the birthplace of Jesus: 71%that Martin Luther inspired the Reformation: 46%
What is dumber, that these people polled did not know these answers?Or that someone thinks that these answers are relevant to knowing God?
who the vice president is: 58%
Except this one of course, without knowing this you cannot get to heaven.
And my favoritePercentage of Christians who know what an atheist is (Is an atheist someone who does NOT believe in God, believes in God, or is unsure whether God exists? ): 85%
I bet you $100 that the 'correct' answer to this question on this test has been refuted by crow.
This is also great. Number of questions answered correctly depending on view of scriptureLiteral word of god: 14.5Word of god, not literal: 16.3Not word of god: 18
And one of those questions was who is the vice president?
Sound "lasers" are a soon be to discovered technology, you'll hear about them soon.
Wouldn't those be SASERs?
What is dumber, that these people polled did not know these answers?Or that someone thinks that these answers are relevant to knowing God?
Turns out what is relevant for knowing god is not knowing anything else.
Wouldn't those be SASERs?
I've heard it both ways
Turns out what is relevant for knowing god is not knowing anything else.
Which makes me love God all the more. He didn't set the feast and only invite the beautiful people, everyone is welcome to His table. There is no exclusivity in God's grace.How much greater is His gift of eternal life that He doesn't set conditions that are too high.And the poor and the weak, standing on the sidelines of life, will be welcome with open arms at the gates of heaven by God Himself.What better picture is there of God's mercy?What better proof that man didn't invent Christianity, men who are so trapped by favoritism and placing conditions on the worth of a person.Every man made religion places requirements on man to earn the right to receive God's grace. Only Christianity tells us that Grace is freely given by God Himself to any who ask.Even if you are unaware of the name of the current vice president.
Which makes me love God all the more. He didn't set the feast and only invite the beautiful people, everyone is welcome to His table. There is no exclusivity in God's grace.
Actually the way he set it up effectively excludes smart people.
Even Especially if you are unaware of the name of the current vice president.
Actually the way he set it up effectively excludes smart people.
That depends on what you see as smart. Are you a genius for having a ton of worldly knowledge and understanding but failing to recognize that which BG does, or is BG a genius for having a fair amount of worldly knowledge as well but fully grasping that which he cannot see? I'm certain that many "smart" people are going to feel and look incredibly stupid when the time comes.
I'm certain that many "smart" people are going to feel and look incredibly stupid when the time comes.
certain is a fun word.Jews and atheists are smart compared to everyone else. Like we needed a study to tell us the obvious.
Which makes me love God all the more. He didn't set the feast and only invite the beautiful people, everyone is welcome to His table. There is no exclusivity in God's grace.How much greater is His gift of eternal life that He doesn't set conditions that are too high.And the poor and the weak, standing on the sidelines of life, will be welcome with open arms at the gates of heaven by God Himself.What better picture is there of God's mercy?What better proof that man didn't invent Christianity, men who are so trapped by favoritism and placing conditions on the worth of a person.Every man made religion places requirements on man to earn the right to receive God's grace. Only Christianity tells us that Grace is freely given by God Himself to any who ask.Even if you are unaware of the name of the current vice president.
Your first non-sarcastic post in the thread was a good one.
Your first non-sarcastic post in the thread was a good one.
Yeah except for all the glaring errors it was awesome. Christianity places requirements on man like any other religion and those requirements are basically the same as the ones in Judaism except trade no pork ever for no meat on Friday. In fairness, Christianity wins that round. Mmmm, pork.
That's Catholicism, not Christianity.
I mean Catholicism encompasses more Christians than any other sect, correct? Kinda hard to argue Catholicism is wildly different from Christianity.See, it's confusing and that is why blanket statements about "Christianity" are often wrong. Each little sect has its own rules. I mean I hear those unitarians let women be priests. They are all going to the lake of fire (a nice image of God's mercy if there ever was one).
I mean Catholicism encompasses more Christians than any other sect, correct? Kinda hard to argue Catholicism is wildly different from Christianity.See, it's confusing and that is why blanket statements about "Christianity" are often wrong. Each little sect has its own rules. I mean I hear those unitarians let women be priests. They are all going to the lake of fire (a nice image of God's mercy if there ever was one).
I think Christianity means: Jesus died on the cross for your sins and was resurrected three days later and all you have to do is believe in him and you will go to heaven.All the different sects have different ideas about what you should do to be a "good" Christian or something like that, but they aren't deal breakers.I think. I never said Catholicism was wildly different from Christianity.
That depends on what you see as smart. Are you a genius for having a ton of worldly knowledge and understanding but failing to recognize that which BG does, or is BG a genius for having a fair amount of worldly knowledge as well but fully grasping that which he cannot see? I'm certain that many "smart" people are going to feel and look incredibly stupid when the time comes.
Let me get this straight.... You are saying that smart actually means: having less knowledge and critical thinking skills than others but being more convinced of religious doctrines? While we're redefining things, why not just agree that "atheists" should refer to those people who believe in god?
I think Christianity means: Jesus died on the cross for your sins and was resurrected three days later and all you have to do is believe in him and you will go to heaven.All the different sects have different ideas about what you should do to be a "good" Christian or something like that, but they aren't deal breakers.I think. I never said Catholicism was wildly different from Christianity.
I think over time what is considered a deal breaker has evolved to accomodate the wishes and desires of Christians which is probably the most damning evidence that religion is bullshit. Divorce is supposed to be a one way ticket to the lake of fire (I think) and yet in our "Christian Nation" we have a divorce rate of 52% (and that rate is higher in the so-called bible belt than it is in librul, god-less cities).
Let me get this straight.... You are saying that smart actually means: having less knowledge and critical thinking skills than others but being more convinced of religious doctrines? While we're redefining things, why not just agree that "atheists" should refer to those people who believe in god?
It's the ultimate in results oriented thinking, imo.