harman's play of trip 7's

Anyone else who watched last night think Harman grossly overplayed her set of 7's against Sammy.Knowing that he is an aggresive player, wouldn't you smooth call the flop bet and let him lead it on the turn again?Why push all in on the flop, where you are almost sure he can't call you.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure thing. I kind of walked in on the middle of it since i had class last night.ButSammy had AK and Harman had 77I missed the preflop action.Flop came down 7 4 K rainbow flop.Sammy bet out a pretty nice bet.harman sat on it for a few...then comes over the top All in...which was a huge overbet, and basically priced sammy out of the hand. he mulled it over..but im sure he knew he was beat, just saving face...and he folded.I think if Harman smooth calls there...and then possibly even smooth call the turn..either way if she pushes the turn or river she has all his chips for sure. Rather than letting him out cheap.

Possibly, but both of these pro's are thinking about what the other might be doing. If Jen thinks sammy has a king, she can get all his money in on the flop. That board is very harmless, if Jen smooth calls two streets, Sammy probably knows whats up. Jen put Sammy on a big hand and thought it would be best to get him now. From an outsider's point, it could easily look like Jen was trying to steal the pot back (from an aggressive opponent). Apparently, Farha saw through it and let it go.

Three in preflop. Jen, Eli Elezra, Sammy.Sammy had AK, Eli had TT, Jen had 77Flop came; K7x Jen checked, Eli bet, Sammy raised, Jen Pushed, Eli folded, Sammy folds. Things you're not taking into account; --Pot Size; I believe with the preflop action, Eli's bet and Sammy's raise the pot was upwards of 25k. --Sammy Steaming; Sammy had gotten broken off and out played a couple times in the hands previous, he got caught bluffing a couple times, and he was needled repeatedly by Sheikhan and was getting a bit annoyed. He could very well have called with AK there thinking they were trying to push him around again--though it would've been a suspect call.--Flush draw on board; I believe, though I might be wrong, that there was two clubs or two spades on the board. She wanted to price out any draw and her stack size in relation to pot size meant a 'normal' raise wouldn't leave her with much behind for a turn bet. If the three flush does pop up on the turn she loses action from Sammy(unless he has the naked Ax, where x equals the two flush on the board) and she has a hard time betting out at any point.--Eli was still to act behind her after Sammy's raise. If she cold calls, Eli has odds to call with a draw--though we know he had TT and wasn't likely calling the raise, and then if either Sammy or Eli has the draw she's effectively priced them in and put herself in a bad way for any three flush that shows up on the turn.

I don't exactly remember the betting amounts. But the action went something like this:Jennifer was holding a piece of paper...casually reading it...and raised preflop with 77. Eli acting behind her raises it up with 10 10. Sammy held big slick...and flat called, as did Jennifer.The flop comes K74 (I think rainbow). Jennifer casually checks still looking at that paper. Eli bets out...Sammy raises a bit. Jennifer moves all in. It appeared as she was nervous...as she had trouble moving her stack in...tipping it over and such. Eli and Sammy both took their time to fold. This other guy on the table kept talking even when he wasn't in the table to just p/o Sammy.In any case everyone had her on 77 after the hand...and was correct.The funniest hand was when DN called Sammys hand 92. I'm almost certain Sammy would have played the hand if DN hadn't said anything...haha. The flop came 972. Gave DN a pair of 7's....and he ended up taking the pot. Sammy didn't seem to happy...haha.

I don't exactly remember the betting amounts. But the action went something like this:Jennifer was holding a piece of paper...casually reading it...and raised preflop with 77. Eli acting behind her raises it up with 10 10. Sammy held big slick...and flat called, as did Jennifer.The flop comes K74 (I think rainbow). Jennifer casually checks still looking at that paper. Eli bets out...Sammy raises a bit. Jennifer moves all in. It appeared as she was nervous...as she had trouble moving her stack in...tipping it over and such. Eli and Sammy both took their time to fold. This other guy on the table kept talking even when he wasn't in the table to just p/o Sammy.In any case everyone had her on 77 after the hand...and was correct.The funniest hand was when DN called Sammys hand 92. I'm almost certain Sammy would have played the hand if DN hadn't said anything...haha. The flop came 972. Gave DN a pair of 7's....and he ended up taking the pot. Sammy didn't seem to happy...haha.

and if the ten falls after smooth calling letting Eli in on the cheap, half the people here call her a donkey for not pushing. (not that she gives a crap what people think, JS)

Flop went check, bet, raise, and it was back to Harman.  There was no real draw that Harman could have, IMO a smooth call screams 'I have a set!' as much as moving in.  What else could she possibly call with there?
I agree, smooth calling would have alerted sammy, however, it was better than just shoving it all in
Flop went check, bet, raise, and it was back to Harman.  There was no real draw that Harman could have, IMO a smooth call screams 'I have a set!' as much as moving in.  What else could she possibly call with there?
I disagree. A smooth call isn't always a set. Coulda been a K with a weak kicker. Coulda been an under pair. Something tricky, but there was lots of calling going on in that game. One there wouldn't have defined a set.Armchair quarterbacks.edit: how would you play it if you saw everyones cards. Smooth call and see the turn? Or push in and get everyone out? (I just started TOP)So a smooth call would've been correct right?I'm asking

the way the bet it, and the fact that they didnt really show her playing too many other hands, and everyones reaction to her bet, i think she may have overplayed that, maybe if she raises to 50k or something like that, it may have confused them even more and maybe get sammy to reraise all in, there was no flush or straight possibilities really on that board.

I think she made a mistake. If she smooth called, Eli might have called (doubtful) but Sammy might have made another move at her. She basically decided that the 25K in the pot was enough, and by reraising all in Sammy really had to lay it down. I think that was really what she wanted to happen.The smooth call probably also tells Sammy he is beat, so she may have figured that whatever she did she wasn't going to get any more chips. And there always the possibility that someone could draw out on you. It seemed very defensive.I like calling for the chance that Eli might call, and Sammy might be induced to put chips in after the turn. Either way She probably isn't getting anymore chips, given what the villians were holding. But if an Ace or King falls, she may get all of Sammy's chips.

I think she overplayed it but who am I to question one of the best players in the world.Anyway, I would have smooth called it. Even if by doing this it gives signs of having a set, Sammy would have definitely bet the turn, if anything, to get more information. Then she has some options, like smooth calling again, a min raise, or big raise. At the least she would have gotten his extra bet.Anyway, Jen says that No Limit really isn't one of her strong games. Limit Holdem has always been her specialty(which in my opinion, she is the best in the world).

Isn't betting out on the flop a better move at this level? The check call or check raise line screams strength. If she had bet first, wouldn't She get more chips? Eli probably would flat call, and Sammy would have either called or maybe raised. These guys were plaing super aggressive, I think if she bets here she gets raised enough to make more money.More fun would be to see her bet, Eli call, Sammy raise and the she flat calls. That does not scream set as much as her line did. Thoughts?

"I disagree. A smooth call isn't always a set. Coulda been a K with a weak kicker. Coulda been an under pair. Something tricky, but there was lots of calling going on in that game. One there wouldn't have defined a set.Armchair quarterbacks."On a K7X rainbow board, a smooth call def means better than a pair. Especially since the action went check/bet/raise. You can't call with a draw since it is possible that Eli would come over the top of Sammy. The All-in may not be the "best" play on that board all of the time, but with the fact that Sam was being having a rough session, it may have been the most profitable. A player on tilt (even pros are subject to tilt) may call an all in there. A smooth call would have set off an alarm, and the only thing that may have gotten her more would have been a miracle turn (A OR K) where he may believe he caught back up.

Anyone else want to post how the action went on the flop?  
Harmarn was the first to come into the pot by limping in the pot. Eli then made a raise to somewhere near 3k-4k. Sammy then called with AK off and Harman also called.Flop came 7 K 4 , i believe rainbowHarman checked, Eli made a near pot bet and Sammy raised around 20k more, then Harman came over the top around 100k total.