Toronto Raptors Fanclub

No time like the present to start a new Raptors thread for the 2010-2011 season.Should be an interesting summer.Nice to see Amir re-sign with the Raptors. I DID get overly excited when I saw the headline "Johnson, Raptors sign"...I thought the Raps somehow scored Joe Johnson :club: So is Ed Davis going to be the next Camby? I like the pic regardless...nice addition for a Toronto team.Maybe I'm too much of a die hard fan but I still think the Raps have a good group of guys. They just need 1 or 2 players to become stars (Derozan? Turk/Bosh replacement?) where to the point where Bargs is forced on the bench. I think Andrea would be a sick 6th man.aagz193_16x20-2006logotoronto-raptors-posters1.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Toronto Raptors ‏@Raptors · 18m Game 5 of #Raptors - Nets was highest-ever TV audience for NBA game in CAN! Averaged 968,000 viewers/ min & over 4 million fans watched #RTZ

I know it sounds crazy but the Raps might have a legit chance to win the division crown. It's not that we are great, but I think some of the other team's might be in trouble. The Philadelphia 76ers suckThe Celtics might lose Ray Allen. Garnett I don't see playing the whole season. I could see the Raptors doing better then this team. The Knicks and Nets got rid of almost every good player so they could have cap space to sign LBJ, Bosh, Wade, etc. There's a very good chance both these teams could get screwed and get none of the big names. If this happens, both these teams will be worse. I don't think the Raptors can win the conference crown, but I think division crown is possible depending on what happens in FA.

• 2 weeks later...

Report out of Arizona:To Suns: TurkogluTo Raps: S.NashI wish. its actually L.Barbosa, which I dont mind. Not sure if we should just be thrilled to get rid of Turk and his contract, maybe thats the real win here.Barbosa shouldnt be that much of a help I dont think, but I do like watching him play.

Report out of Arizona:To Suns: TurkogluTo Raps: S.NashI wish. its actually L.Barbosa, which I dont mind. Not sure if we should just be thrilled to get rid of Turk and his contract, maybe thats the real win here.Barbosa shouldnt be that much of a help I dont think, but I do like watching him play.
Barbosa makes $7.1 million in 2010/11 and has a player's option for 2011/12 for $7.6 million.Hedo has $9.8 million for 2010/11, $10.6 million for 2011/12, $11.4 million for 2012/13 and $12.2 million player option for 2013/14 but reports are that Turk has modified his contract so that the trade kicker in it doesn't come into play where he was supposed to get a raise if he was traded and the guaranteed money in the last year of his contract was reduced.I think this trade sets up a deal for one of Calderon or Jack getting traded. Even though Barbosa isn't really a point guard since he isn't good at running an offense or passing he's too small to play the 2 against most teams.

I would probably prefer that they trade Calderon, seeing as he's been getting hurt a lot more the past 2 seasons. I think Calderon is the better shooter, but Jack it 300% the defender Calderon would ever be.I'm also glad to see that Weems and Derozan are playing in the summer league. I saw the highlights for the first game and it was basically an Air Weems highlight reel. These guys really need the reps considering they will be relied on a lot this year.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/artic...-childress.htmlThe deal appears to be Turk to Phoenix for Barbosa and somebody named Dwayne Jones and then the Raptors will send Jones to Charlotte for Boris Diaw who is making $9 Million each year for the next two years. The trade exception from Bosh allows the Raptors to trade for Diaw.Two players who Colangelo had in Phoenix when he was there in Barbosa and Diaw.Diaw is an interesting player who passes really well for a big guy but who looks like he's hitting the all you can eat buffet about 4 times per day and really getting his money's worth.If the Raptors trade a point guard I think it's much more likely to be Jack. He's a lot easier to trade due to his contract plus Calderon really is a much better offensive player and runs the team better. With no Turk and without the option to dump the ball into Bosh inside and have him get double teamed they're going to need a more creative point guard and that's Calderon even with his sucky defense. Jack really wasn't that much better than him last year on defense.If this deal gets done I wouldn't expect the Raptors to use the trade exception any more this year to take a large salary on since that would take them into the tax area which MLSE is not going to do with this team.
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/artic...-childress.htmlThe deal appears to be Turk to Phoenix for Barbosa and somebody named Dwayne Jones and then the Raptors will send Jones to Charlotte for Boris Diaw who is making $9 Million each year for the next two years. The trade exception from Bosh allows the Raptors to trade for Diaw.Two players who Colangelo had in Phoenix when he was there in Barbosa and Diaw.Diaw is an interesting player who passes really well for a big guy but who looks like he's hitting the all you can eat buffet about 4 times per day and really getting his money's worth.If the Raptors trade a point guard I think it's much more likely to be Jack. He's a lot easier to trade due to his contract plus Calderon really is a much better offensive player and runs the team better. With no Turk and without the option to dump the ball into Bosh inside and have him get double teamed they're going to need a more creative point guard and that's Calderon even with his sucky defense. Jack really wasn't that much better than him last year on defense.If this deal gets done I wouldn't expect the Raptors to use the trade exception any more this year to take a large salary on since that would take them into the tax area which MLSE is not going to do with this team.
ok so Bob, what are the chances we make the playoffs..Or be a bubble team like last year..
ok so Bob, what are the chances we make the playoffs..Or be a bubble team like last year..
I would say it's too early to tell where the Raptors will fit other than there should be 6 teams in the East who are clearly better. Miami, Orlando, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago and Milwaukee. The Raptors will probably fit into the mix for 7th to 12th and if they squeeze into the playoffs get squashed in the first round.The whole Hedo thing might be even larger and hearing rumours now that Calderon might be going to Charlotte as well and we would be getting Tyson Chandler back. Chandler has a $12.7 million expiring contract. I hope if that is part of the deal that we send them Reggie ( I suck at basketball but am too stupid to realize it ) Evans and his expiring contract as well.

I think that the East is going to be weird this year. Top 3 will be Miami, Boston, Orlando imo, with Atlanta and Chicago at 4 and 5, no particular order. I think it's likely that the Raps will finish out of the playoffs, but could definitely squeak into 7 or 8. So much has changed that I think it will be very hard to predict though. Teams like Cleveland and New York will be very hard to predict how well they will do.

From Doug Smith's Bloghttp://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/2010/07/i...k-and-jose.htmlIt's all one deal and it's bye bye Turk and Jose Bryan Colangelo is at it again. In a complex transaction that’s still not finalized, the Raptors are shipping out Hedo Turkoglu, Jose Calderon and one other piece not yet confirmed and getting back Leandro Barbosa of the Phoenix Suns, Boris Diaw and possibly Tyson Chandler from the Charlotte Bobcats. League sources could not confirm the final pieces Monday morning but the Raptors will not have to touch the $14.5 million trade exception acquired last week in the Chris Bosh sign-and-trade transaction. Colangelo originally drafted Barbosa with the Suns and has long been a fan of Diaw, a multi-purpose forward who can play a couple of positions. Chandler, who is in the last year of his contract, gives the Raptors another long athletic big man. Turkoglu is destined for Phoenix, Calderon is headed to Charlotte and the league sources were unsure who the third piece leaving Toronto is and where he’s going. The financial gains are significant. Barbosa has two years and $14.7 million left on his current contract; Diaw has two years and $18 million remaining and Chandler will be paid $13.1 million this coming season. Turkoglu still had four years and about $40 million left on his deal and Calderon has three years and almost $30 million left to go. We'll get more as the day progresses.

While I was originally disappointed in Colangelo's non activity to let his star player go without a return, it looks like he is keeping very busy..By doing the sign and trade and getting the trade exception Colangelo is shaking up the team and acquiring a lot of new assets...Shipping out Turk, trading Calderone, Colangelo is showing he wont just sit back and cry about losing Bosh..Good job..It remains to be seen how things shape up and how the Raps do on the court.

I copied this from a post at the RealGM forum to show how the contracts match.Basically the Raptors will be trading Turk, Calderon and Reggie Evans ( YES ) for Diaw, Chandler and Barbosa.I think what makes me the happiest is not having to see Reggie Evans on the floor. He might be the stupiest least effective player to ever play any significant minutes in Raptors history.PHO outBarbosa 7.1Jones .9928.092 * 1.25 * .1 = 10.215 max available backPHO inTurkoglu 9.8----------------------------------------TOR outTurkoglu 9.8Calderon 9.0Evans 5.0823.88 *1.25 + .1 = 29.95 max available backTOR inChandler 12.6Diaw 9.0Barbosa 7.128.7--------------------------------------CHA outChandler 12.6Diaw 9.021.6CHA inCalderon 9.0Evans 5.08Jones .99215.072

Looks like MJ decided to call the deal off. Seems kind of strange for an owner to intervene on a deal that was agreed upon by both GM's....I understand that their professionals but it must be hard for the players to know their respective teams had every intention of trading them.

Looks like MJ decided to call the deal off. Seems kind of strange for an owner to intervene on a deal that was agreed upon by both GM's....I understand that their professionals but it must be hard for the players to know their respective teams had every intention of trading them.
Crap Crap Crap CrapReggie Evans is still a Raptor.

Actually, I know I'm in the minority but I'm happy Calderon is still a Raptor. I'd like to see him in a Toronto uniform next year.

I would say it's too early to tell where the Raptors will fit other than there should be 6 teams in the East who are clearly better. Miami, Orlando, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago and Milwaukee. The Raptors will probably fit into the mix for 7th to 12th and if they squeeze into the playoffs get squashed in the first round.The whole Hedo thing might be even larger and hearing rumours now that Calderon might be going to Charlotte as well and we would be getting Tyson Chandler back. Chandler has a $12.7 million expiring contract. I hope if that is part of the deal that we send them Reggie ( I suck at basketball but am too stupid to realize it ) Evans and his expiring contract as well.
I think Miami, Orlando, Atlanta and Boston are locks to be better. There are going to be question marks still on the rest. It's not long ago Chicago had the super youth group and then they spiralled into the shiiitters. But definitely agreed that barring a sick performance by 1 or 2 youngins the Raps are in for a hurting.
  • 2 weeks later...

Bryan Colangelo was interviewed by Bob Mcowan on The Fan today and somebody at the RealGM Raptor's Forum did a transcript of it.http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic....rt=15#p24525561He takes a few pretty good shots at Bosh.How's your summer going? - It's been one of those summers. There really hasn't been much time for anything other than trying to figure out the best way to put this team together. The big domino was Chris, that decision was made and maybe even forecasted before it came to pass. We've got a few things going here that have changed the look of our team dramatically. Obviously Chris is the big piece, and Turk not coming back is another, we've got an evolution of sorts with the rest of the team. The young guys are coming along and showing all kinds of enthusiasm and athleticism. It's been fun to watch internally. And then you've got some pieces we've added -- Ed Davis, Kleiza. It's addressing certain parts of what is going out the door and we still have other pieces to fill in. I'ts obviously going to be very difficult to fill the void that Chris left, but you might see our team play a different style and it might be more appealing at the end of the day.Is LK a starter? - He very well could be. Right now, I'd say he's the guy you'd probably slot in there unless we do something else. He's versatile, plays the 3 and 4 spot. He can play both inside and outside. He's got an ability to post up some smaller 3s and less athletic 3s. You've got a guy who can also spread the floor. He can knock down the 3 point shot. His midrange game is a little awkward, to say the least. He's got the inside post stuff or he's got the outside game, it's not much in-between. But people talk about how tough he is and how mentally tough he is. It's physical and mental. He's not backed down from teh likes of Kenyon Martin and Carmelo Anthony and I think they respect him a lot for that. They talked about bringing him back but couldn't for tax reasons. He took a nice deal in Europe, had the option to stay, but decided to come back to the NBA.When you say awkward, are you saying he doesn't shoot well off the dribble? - No, he's not a guy who's going to create a shot for himself between the perimeter and the post but he's a guy who can score a variety of ways. He might be one of our best post-up options, that's how efficient he is down there. He just doesn't have much of a midrange game. That's not a terrible negative for him. He's not a shot creator, per se, but he can score.What happened to Matt Barnes? - It's a long story. It's better to just say things didn't work out. Sometimes you got a fish on a line and it doesn't happen. Because it was determined at some point the deal was not going to happen, we basically were one of several teams that were looking at bringing him in. At some point, he was looking at minimum deals or slightly above minimum, and he turned down more money in Cleveland to play with L.A. He turned down Miami and us at minimum. I think they had 1.7 or 1.8 in an exception that enabled them to get him. Clearly, he's joining a team that is the defending world champion and he's got a chance to have a big impact there. It's his hometown. Not necessarily his hometown, but that's where he played college ball. That was an easy choice. It's unfortunate it didn't work out, it's also unfortunate that another deal we had agreed to slipped through our fingers, but you can't control everything in this business and you can't control the things that get out there prematurely.Could you have imagined you were going to do such massive renovations to this roster?- If things don't work Bob, you know I'm always going to try to make them work. We tried in vain to put pieces around Chris. Different pieces, different styles. It didn't work out. He was the key piece on a team, he was the franchise piece, the cornerstone if you will. But no matter what type of player we brought in, it didn't seem to have the right mix with him as that centrepiece. This year it seemed like everything was rolling along. We were 29 wins into the season at the ASB tying a franchise record and the wheels fell off. Part of that was Chris was hurt, he sprained his ankle. Despite limited swelling and any excessive damage on an MRI, he felt like he needed to sit for six more games. That was a very important period for us. Then coming back from not working out, his timing was off, conditioning was off, we were set back even further. 6 games stretched to 9 games. Then when he finally came back, his face got broken. We had a tough season based on the timing of that injury and that sequence. I talk so much about those voices that might have been speaking to him at all-star, I think it's pretty obvious now what some of those voices were. Whether he was mentally checked out or just wasn't quite into it down the stretch, he wasn't the same guy. I think everybody saw that, but no one wanted to acknowledge it. At the same time, I never felt we were in the game. There was too much out there, too much built up for him to take an easy out here, and he decided to do that. It's a choice, and it's one that someone else made -- LeBron made the same choice in Cleveland and they had a lot of success last year.Listen, how it all happened and when it happens for each individual is different. This has been brewing for a while, it's quite obvious. I don't call this tampering even though the rule says players can't recruit players. I think that's like when a GM tells a player, hey, go make sure that player wants to play for us next year. Players have the right to talk about these things in my opinion. They've been talking about it for a long time. All the way back to when these deals were structured. It's something that played into a perfect storm. You've gotta give Pat Riley credit for getting the space together for putting them all in. Then he sold them the Kool-Aid, and they all drank it. They made the choice to leave money on the table. Chris left money on the table. What was potentially a $126-million deal becomes a $110-million deal. Look, these guys, they made choices, you can't fault them for what their choices are, they're all taking advantage of a great opportunity and credit the Miami Heat for how they handled it.Did you at the time at least believe right after the ASB when CB4 got hurt, when he didn't play in those 6 games, did you believe he had checked out at that point? - No, I really don't. I don't believe he had checked out at that point. But it was clear that at some point, he was not coming back. And I'm not talking about the injury, I mean Toronto. It was post-season. When you're in the heart of the season, there was a lot coming at us with injuries and losing, I'm not even questioning Chris's injury. I'm telling you he was cleared to play subject to tolerance on his part, and the tolerance just apparently wasn't' there and he chose not to play. The fact that our season was spiralling downward and we were hoping he'd come back sooner and we were also dealing with a few other things at that point. Hedo wasn't exactly playing up to his best performance or what he was capable of. We were really struggling there. The season's over now, we can talk about the future. I'm excited about some of the young guys who are here and doing some growth and development within us. We're a different team. We're going to play with speed and athleticism, we're going to get the ball moving a lot more than we did last year.As efficient as our offence was, we scored,we got to the FT line, it wasn't enough to sustain success. We need to get better in defence, rebounding, toughness, mental and physical, and that's something we've tried to address. We move forward. But to say that I was planning to overhaul the roster this year? No, it wasn't my first choice.Another deal coming?- Yeah, we're working on a few things. There's been a lot of balls up in the air. Some teams are in that lull where the rush of free agency has happened. A lot of deals are being considered.Interview over.

Boy, Lebron James and Chris Bosh sure commanded a lot of interest considering one is a quitter and the other is a pussy who would not push through a sprained ankle."I'm not questioning his injury." (The **** you weren't dickhead)Is it so hard to imagine the players wanting to take some power from management and decide things on their own terms when every owner and GM in the league is such a vengeful prick?

Boy, Lebron James and Chris Bosh sure commanded a lot of interest considering one is a quitter and the other is a pussy who would not push through a sprained ankle."I'm not questioning his injury." (The **** you weren't dickhead)Is it so hard to imagine the players wanting to take some power from management and decide things on their own terms when every owner and GM in the league is such a vengeful prick?
Everybody who followed the Raptors closely saw that Bosh's attitude changed after the All Star break hugely. The Raptors were in 5th in the conf and threatening to move up to 4th and then everything fell apart and a huge part of that was a combination of Bosh getting injured and when he wasn't injured just playing horribly and selfishly. In interviews at that time he said some really strange things as well. Colangelo is pointing out what everybody saw with their own eyes.I know you're a massive Heat fan now but every shot at LeBron and Bosh isn't made up. They're human and have flaws.I have zero problem with Bosh leaving the Raptors. If I was him I would go to Miami as well. What I have a problem with is the way he played last year after the break and remember I saw pretty much every minute of every game they played. I also have a problem with some of his comments where it appears he's taking zero responsibility for the results of the team yet he wants to be considered as a superstar.The Raptors erred in trying to build a team around Bosh. He's just not a franchise player and in today's NBA your franchise player on championship teams is going to be a dominating wing player like Kobe, LeBron or Wade.
Everybody who followed the Raptors closely saw that Bosh's attitude changed after the All Star break hugely. The Raptors were in 5th in the conf and threatening to move up to 4th and then everything fell apart and a huge part of that was a combination of Bosh getting injured and when he wasn't injured just playing horribly and selfishly. In interviews at that time he said some really strange things as well. Colangelo is pointing out what everybody saw with their own eyes.I know you're a massive Heat fan now but every shot at LeBron and Bosh isn't made up. They're human and have flaws.I have zero problem with Bosh leaving the Raptors. If I was him I would go to Miami as well. What I have a problem with is the way he played last year after the break and remember I saw pretty much every minute of every game they played. I also have a problem with some of his comments where it appears he's taking zero responsibility for the results of the team yet he wants to be considered as a superstar.The Raptors erred in trying to build a team around Bosh. He's just not a franchise player and in today's NBA your franchise player on championship teams is going to be a dominating wing player like Kobe, LeBron or Wade.
They are taking a lot of excessive shit right now. It's one thing to say "he was not the same player in the 2nd half". It's another to let slip that the trainers thought he could play on an ankle injury but he chose not to do so. That's a ****ing cheap shot. Also, massive Heat fan now??!?!?! I challenge you to a duel, sir. I was at the first ever Heat game. When they started 0-17 as a franchise, I was at 4 of those games. I slogged through the Rory Sparrow, Rony Seikaly, Keith Askins era. I lived in Connecticut with a bunch of New york douchebags in high school while the Heat were losing to the Knicks in ridiculous fashion year after year. Don't try and pin the bandwagon tail on this poker donkey. I agree that Bosh is not a franchise guy though. I do think he is like Pau Gasol; a perfect 2nd banana if you pair him with a franchise guy like Kobe. As a third banana with two Kobe-like players? I'm looking forward to November. And June. And since the whole world is against the Heat right now, I will take it upon myself to defend them at least on here.
They are taking a lot of excessive shit right now. It's one thing to say "he was not the same player in the 2nd half". It's another to let slip that the trainers thought he could play on an ankle injury but he chose not to do so. That's a ****ing cheap shot. Also, massive Heat fan now??!?!?! I challenge you to a duel, sir. I was at the first ever Heat game. When they started 0-17 as a franchise, I was at 4 of those games. I slogged through the Rory Sparrow, Rony Seikaly, Keith Askins era. I lived in Connecticut with a bunch of New york douchebags in high school while the Heat were losing to the Knicks in ridiculous fashion year after year. Don't try and pin the bandwagon tail on this poker donkey. I agree that Bosh is not a franchise guy though. I do think he is like Pau Gasol; a perfect 2nd banana if you pair him with a franchise guy like Kobe. As a third banana with two Kobe-like players? I'm looking forward to November. And June. And since the whole world is against the Heat right now, I will take it upon myself to defend them at least on here.
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you're one of the bandwagon jumpers, I know you're not.Gasol is a much better player than Bosh is and I think you're going to be surprised at how weak his defense is and how his rebounding numbers are inflated and he's not a good defensive rebounder because he gets lazy and doesn't block out. Also he doesn't make fast decisions with the ball on offense and is a bit of a black hole who is really poor at passing when he's being defended well. He's going to get a ton of wide open looks playing with LeBron and Wade though and he for sure can hit that open mid range shot.
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you're one of the bandwagon jumpers, I know you're not.Gasol is a much better player than Bosh is and I think you're going to be surprised at how weak his defense is and how his rebounding numbers are inflated and he's not a good defensive rebounder because he gets lazy and doesn't block out. Also he doesn't make fast decisions with the ball on offense and is a bit of a black hole who is really poor at passing when he's being defended well. He's going to get a ton of wide open looks playing with LeBron and Wade though and he for sure can hit that open mid range shot.
those last 10 words say it all. Third banana. I don't think you are understanding how much better Gasol looks playing in LA with Kobe. Look at Gasol's years in Memphis. I swear I have not looked. But numbers wise and team success wise, my memory tells me they will be quite identical. I think they are the same player to be honest.And they only think Spolestra is good at is getting people to play good D. The Heat were 2nd in points allowed last year and it is not like they were full of defensive stoppers. (Cant find the stats on that----Hollinger has them tied for third in defensive efficiency. Bosh will be a better defender in Miami I guarantee it.
those last 10 words say it all. Third banana. I don't think you are understanding how much better Gasol looks playing in LA with Kobe. Look at Gasol's years in Memphis. I swear I have not looked. But numbers wise and team success wise, my memory tells me they will be quite identical. I think they are the same player to be honest.And they only think Spolestra is good at is getting people to play good D. The Heat were 2nd in points allowed last year and it is not like they were full of defensive stoppers. (Cant find the stats on that----Hollinger has them tied for third in defensive efficiency. Bosh will be a better defender in Miami I guarantee it.
Gasol is quite a bit longer than Bosh is and is a better shot blocker and a much much better passer. Bosh is a better outside shooter.