How Do I Become A Successful Online Poker Player? Seriously...

Hey everyone... long time reader, first time poster here! Iʼm hoping to get some advice/assistance from some of the more experienced players on the forum.Iʼm not a beginner at poker by any means, but Iʼd probably consider myself a “beginner” at online poker per se... or, at least in comparison to most of my opponents at the online tables! ;)I really just want be a better online player and possibly generate some $ in the process (as I think some of you are doing?)... I know we live in a day and age with limitless resources-- but I think thatʼs been a problem for me lol-- I donʼt know where I should be focusing my efforts!Iʼve looked at poker books, internet articles, forum posts... Iʼve even searched “how to become a successful online poker player” on YouTube! (*believe it or not, that youtube search was by far the most useful thing to date!)What do you guys (you guys that are consistently generated $ at online poker) think?I really appreciate any/all input on this matter.

Play lots, post lots of hands and get some poker friends to discuss hands/poker with. Also, maintaining an even keel is also a important thing which I from experience know is easier said than done. Never become satisfied that you are a good player always be open to exploring new techniques and listen to other ideas about lines, bet-sizing and all that good stuff. All the books, forums and training sites are good but only actually playing and discussing hands will help you improve since you say you are already an experienced player. Best of luck!

Hey everyone... long time reader, first time poster here! Iʼm hoping to get some advice/assistance from some of the more experienced players on the forum.Iʼm not a beginner at poker by any means, but Iʼd probably consider myself a “beginner” at online poker per se... or, at least in comparison to most of my opponents at the online tables! ;)I really just want be a better online player and possibly generate some $ in the process (as I think some of you are doing?)... I know we live in a day and age with limitless resources-- but I think thatʼs been a problem for me lol-- I donʼt know where I should be focusing my efforts!Iʼve looked at poker books, internet articles, forum posts... Iʼve even searched “how to become a successful online poker player” on YouTube! (*believe it or not, that youtube search was by far the most useful thing to date!)What do you guys (you guys that are consistently generated $ at online poker) think?I really appreciate any/all input on this matter.
Deposit $50. Play 100NL. Lose. Deposit $50. Play 100NL. Run it up to $300. Play 1000NL. Lose. Deposit $600. Play 1000NL. Lose. Deposit $600. Play 1000NL. Run it up to $5500. Play 5K heads up sng with Viktor Blom. Lose. Deposit $50. Play 100PLO8. Lose. Deposit $50. Play $20 sngs. Lose. Deposit $50. Play MTTs. Lose. Take the points you earn and get yourself a hoodie and a t shirt. Job well done. Now you will have learned bankroll management.
  • Like 1

gonna agree with RMB, you have to play a ton of hands. Having poker friends is great as you will have a support system for the swings and ppl to discuss strategy with. Also, having a good set up is crucial; a nice computer, monitor, chair, etc. Tracking software with heads up display (HUD) such as Holdem Manager (HEM), Poker Tracker (PT3) or Poker Copilot (for apple computers) is necessary for online play.I think training sites are great for beginners. With help from friends, and watching some beginners videos at deucescracked.com, I improved a ton.Also, in what game are you most interested? If you are interested in no-limit cash games, check this thread; http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...howtopic=140799But for whatever game you are interested, there is a corresponding forum here where you can post hands and get some valuable feedback.glgl

You need to learn by1. Playing hands2. Reading/Watching3. CoachingWatch your bankroll management. Below is a bankroll outline I copied from a websiteStart a little in the freeroll/play money just to get a feel for the software(If you can't win at play money then keep playing play money)However play money is not real poker.Try the lowest levels of buy in and move up when you feel conffident.At the lower levels just play ABC poker and be patient.Review your own play constantly.And watch your Bankroll management, If you start to bleed then move down a level.Bankroll ManagementRules of thumb...DISCIPLINE, DISCIPLINE, DISCIPLINE.CashIf you have less then 1000 BB then move downYou need more then 3000 BB to move upTournamentFor SNG Move down if you have less then 25X the buy inYou need more than 50X the buy in to move upFor MTT Move down if you have less then 50X the buy inYou need more than 80X the buy in to move up.You can "take shots with up to 5% of your BR" one tourney/cash game per week. Only ONE TIME. If things go well keep playing.

Avoid MTTs initially.Stick with either cash games or SNGs. Focus on them, beat them, move up stakes. Be a bankroll nit, and be proud of it.Once you're confident you're a winning player at the stakes you play, you can start mucking around with MTT's.

Deposit $50. Play 100NL. Lose. Deposit $50. Play 100NL. Run it up to $300. Play 1000NL. Lose. Deposit $600. Play 1000NL. Lose. Deposit $600. Play 1000NL. Run it up to $5500. Play 5K heads up sng with Viktor Blom. Lose. Deposit $50. Play 100PLO8. Lose. Deposit $50. Play $20 sngs. Lose. Deposit $50. Play MTTs. Lose. Take the points you earn and get yourself a hoodie and a t shirt. Job well done. Now you will have learned bankroll management.
POTY
Iʼve even searched “how to become a successful online poker player” on YouTube! (*believe it or not, that youtube search was by far the most useful thing to date!)
I'm not sure if I'm more worried for you that you chose to search that on YouTube or if you found it to be your most useful resource.
  • 1 year later...

i feel ya, i got the goal to, i've watched many of daniels videos on youtube "danien ne.. online poker strategy" and theres alot, but still my bankroll falls to the floor, often when i think i have the best hand and that shitty rivercards come.. but i guess.. in order to get up, you have to fall first..

First of all, sign up for a training site, I'd obviously recommend mine: www.pokervt.com then set yourself up with some tracking software, either PokerTracker or Holdem Manager works, Then practice, and use the tracking software as a study tool. Post hands, look for advice, and monitor your results closely once you have a decent number of hands in your database

• 2 weeks later...

Patience! Whoever said "poker, a day to learn and lifetime to master" wasn't kidding. NLH and Omaha are super complex games and no matter how much you learn and understand there is 100 times more to be learned. To top that off the game is ever evolving, with the online game evolving even faster than the live game in most cases, therefore, patience and constant study, review and improvement are key to obtaining your goal.I can look back on this very forum at the way I looked at and thought I was analyzing a hand and see how god awful wrong I was and I'm talking as little as 6 to 8 months ago. A year ago it just ridiculously awful. Bankroll management is key to success, I actually find this helpful for MTTs and SNGs. I've learn so much through poker friends through reviewing games and talking about hands. I really think finding people who play whatever you play to discuss the game with is invaluable. Also Daniel's site PokerVT has been great for me. I joined in May of 2009 and it's the best thing I could of done at the time. I met many of my poker friends through the PVT forum. Posting hands on forums like this one and PVT and reading others posts will help you learn to analyse your hands much better. Tracking software is a must in my opinion as well, both PokerTracker 3 (4 is now available for public beta testing) or HEM have free trails so you can see which one you prefer.Coaching should come into play at some point but not until you have a decent grip on the fundamentals. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Deposit $50. Play 100NL. Lose. Deposit $50. Play 100NL. Run it up to $300. Play 1000NL. Lose. Deposit $600. Now you will have learned bankroll management.
X that by 10 and that's what I used to do. You'll never learn until you do that.
First of all, sign up for a training site, I'd obviously recommend mine: www.pokervt.com then set yourself up with some tracking software, either PokerTracker or Holdem Manager works, Then practice, and use the tracking software as a study tool. Post hands, look for advice, and monitor your results closely once you have a decent number of hands in your database
Training sites may help, experience is the best way you will learn.
It will be better to play a lot of hands to gain experience and be able to relate on the ebooks or coaching that you'll have in the future.
I've gone broke 100 times and learned from each time. Again experience is key.
Patience!
Very much. Practice by staring at a wall for 16 hrs or so and clear your mind then you'll be ready.Also never tilt. I bought a punching bag, it helps.
  • 1 month later...
I play naked. I feel that makes me feel free and gives me endless possibilities as to what I can do.
lol that will definitely make you a successful online poker player.Seriously though you should follow bankroll management, don't get intimidated, and have discipline. Just work on improving your game, and you will get better.
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Play, read, play, read, play, read, play and read at the same time. Then you take a few breaks in between the 3rd and 4th read play, rinse and repeat.

Seriously though, I don't think there is one formula out there that a player can follow to become a solid poker player. Sure, you can learn techniques and master those, but if you don't know how to properly inject those into your every day game, they do nothing for you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

As some here say no matter how much you read you need to practice a lot, a tracking software so you can check on trouble hands and see if you made the right call, also a group of people to discuss hands. You are going to loose some money but that's part of the learning in poker

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...