blah I wrote it 3 times and it didn't make sense, so I'm going to write for a 4th time and if it doesn't make sense, too bad, for some reason I can't explain ityou are betting to be called because you know you have the better hand, thus adding value to your hand because you won more money with itit's a bet that wants to be called, but you don't want a raise or a foldsay you have top pair on the river, you make a small bet hoping he will call with like 2nd pair, but you don't want a raise because face it, you only have top pair.

I consider a value bet a bet that gives your hand the best possible expected value over time. If i have an open ended straight draw [8 outs] instead of checking on the flop I want to bet to get the most value out of my hand. I know that I'm going to turn the hand roughly 1/3 of the time, so I want to get the best value for my hand.So when you have the best hand or a hand that could become the best hand, you want to bet for value.

I consider a value bet a bet that gives your hand the best possible expected value over time.  If i have an open ended straight draw [8 outs] instead of checking on the flop I want to bet to get the most value out of my hand.  I know that I'm going to turn the hand roughly 1/3 of the time, so I want to get the best value for my hand.So when you have the best hand or a hand that could become the best hand, you want to bet for value.
Man, I wish I could play in games where people think they turn an 8 outer 1/3 of the time...or did you mean hit it 1/3 of the time by the river?Anyway. If you're talking about NL, the most common definition of a value bet is a bet you think will be called by a hand worse than yours and not raised by a hand better than yours. That's about it.People often make value bets with the absolute nuts. If I river a straight flush and I think you have a set I might make a river value bet of 1/3 of the pot because I figure you'll have to call it if you think you're good 1 time in 4. I don't care if you push, in fact, I'm happy if you push, but I don't push all in myslef because I'm fairly certain you'll fold and winning another 1/3 of the pot is better than you folding when I have the best hand.