Union Worker Protests In Wi

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/US/02/17/wisco....budget/?hpt=T2
(CNN) -- At least 15 school systems in Wisconsin canceled Thursday's classes because teachers and other public employees will continue protests at the state Capitol over a bill that would strip them of most of their collective bargaining rights and increase their contributions for benefits.At least 10,000 employees and supporters rallied Wednesday in Madison in opposition to legislation supported by Republican Gov. Scott Walker.Protesters pack the state CapitolClasses will not be held for a second day Thursday in the Madison Metropolitan School District, said spokesman Ken Syke, because of a call by the Wisconsin Education Association Council for people to come to the Capitol on Thursday and Friday to "stand beside your neighbors, family and friends to help our voices be heard."Syke earlier said about 40 percent of 2,600 teachers, assistants, social workers and psychologists in the bargaining unit called in sick late Tuesday, forcing the district to cancel Wednesday's classes for 24,500 students.School officials in Oregon, south of Madison, said they canceled classes Thursday because of anticipated staff absences.ARTICLE CONTINUED AT LINK ABOVE
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hire new teachers under the changed rules. I guarantee that new people would be happy to just have a job.

They are not being shy about it this time, some of these comments on cnn's response section crack me up -- and yes, I know right-wing crackpots are capable of saying stupid stuff too skaarcat This protest isn't about the money. It is about lies and about taking away the unions right to bargain...especially bargain about working conditions. The governor is lying about the crisis. It is a manufacturered crisis to bust the unions. When governor Walker came into office the budget was fine. H... more This protest isn't about the money. It is about lies and about taking away the unions right to bargain...especially bargain about working conditions. The governor is lying about the crisis. It is a manufacturered crisis to bust the unions. When governor Walker came into office the budget was fine. He and his republican legislature then passed a $140 million dollar spending bill for their special interest corporate cronies....mcdonalds and walmart. Now suddenly there is a $137 million dollar deficiet. Maybe they shouldn't have passed their bill. But they did it to gin up a 'crisis' so they could go after the unions. 60% of the corporations in WI don't pay any taxes. But they go after middle class workers instead. The rep. governors met to discuss union busting and now are doing it. The whole purpose is to break the unions ability to support democrate candidates for office...especially in the 2012 election. It is the final step in a complete corporate takeover of america. The rich got their tax cuts but the rest of us have to pay. How much more can they take?? less

Doug should be there with the rest of them.Heard a couple sound bites from students who were there that didn't have a clue what they were even protesting. They were only therewith their teachers for extra credit. Classic!

sad but unions are out of control and have been so for years. many are just finding out what us in construction have been dealing with for over a decade.The public unions need to be crushed...they can use Reagan and the air traffic controllers as a case study!! "this is the final step to corporate takeover of America" that is great.

As the great man J Smalls said:"The world needs ditch diggers too"So what if this generation of kids is stupid, at least the teachers will not be able to be fired or have to show any results ever.

I don't know what all is going on with this issue, like all of you. Of course, most of you see "Union" and immediately jump on the other side. But these are teachers, right? Teachers. The one occupation that is widely regarded as being underpaid. Teachers. If I have to pick a side before knowing all the info, I'm going with them.

Some are underpaid, many are overpaid.They chose to all accept the same pay, and have suffered as a profession for it.
THISMy only beef with unions, is the inability to fire the most useless employees. I was a union worker and saw first hand how workers took advantage of that fact.
Hire new teachers under the changed rules. I guarantee that new people would be happy to just have a job.
I guarantee that it would take a long time to find enough people who are qualified. You know, if you care about finding qualified people.I love when people assume there is some giant pool of qualified teachers out there who could take the place of these lazy unionized fatcat teachers.Their collective bargaining rights are being threatened and they are exercising their 1st amendment rights in protest. Stupid America with our freedom of speech. What a terrible lesson those teachers are giving their kids----they should be teaching them to roll over and take it at an early age.
I guarantee that it would take a long time to find enough people who are qualified. You know, if you care about finding qualified people.I love when people assume there is some giant pool of qualified teachers out there who could take the place of these lazy unionized fatcat teachers.Their collective bargaining rights are being threatened and they are exercising their 1st amendment rights in protest. Stupid America with our freedom of speech. What a terrible lesson those teachers are giving their kids----they should be teaching them to roll over and take it at an early age.
They have the Right to Exercise their Freedom of Speech. I just object to them skipping out on their Job responsibilities to pursue their selfish agenda.
Why do the teachers have the right to refuse children an education unless they get what they want? The states are broke, they don't have the money, the Teacher Union says if we don't get paid X we walk..so they screw the next generation because they can't tighten their belts like the rest of the country is forced to?The average school in California is spending $10,000 per child per year. there are 30+ kids per classroom, the rooms have 6 periods a day..those 6 teachers are overseeing $2 million in public spending. The money is going somewhere ( administration ), complaining that the teachers aren't getting it and taking it out on the students is baloney. The teachers should be refusing to answer to their bosses, they are the ones sucking up all the cash.Mark my words....government unions will break this country just as surely as military spending broke Communist Russia.
Why do the teachers have the right to refuse children an education unless they get what they want? The states are broke, they don't have the money, the Teacher Union says if we don't get paid X we walk..so they screw the next generation because they can't tighten their belts like the rest of the country is forced to?The average school in California is spending $10,000 per child per year. there are 30+ kids per classroom, the rooms have 6 periods a day..those 6 teachers are overseeing $2 million in public spending. The money is going somewhere ( administration ), complaining that the teachers aren't getting it and taking it out on the students is baloney. The teachers should be refusing to answer to their bosses, they are the ones sucking up all the cash.Mark my words....government unions will break this country just as surely as military spending broke Communist Russia.
What would Reagan do?
Cut taxes and increase the deficit ? Lead this country out of the quagmire created by the last democrat administration and defeat the threat to world peace at the same time?
You are correct, quite possibly the easiest group to replace. There are literally 1000’s of teachers walking around looking for work in every county / state. You also assume that since the union would be broken that the existing teachers wouldn’t come back on hands and knees looking for work…must be the big bankroll they are caring around that they will be able to take a few years off and revaluate their lives! No they will be back ASAP begging to get the old job back…and the ones that actually go out into the real world will be highly shocked / disappointed at what they find.The public trough is running dry very soon so you better get used to it.
Why do the teachers have the right to refuse children an education unless they get what they want?
...because we live in a free country...? Or should the government force them to teach?
...because we live in a free country...? Or should the government force them to teach?
no, no....their job is so important that they can't miss a few days of work to protest but not so important that they can't have their pay cut without giving any input. it's a fine line.
Should the employees of the government be able to demand that the government print money and give it to them and hold hostage the future of our country until their demands are met?It is actually the very argument they are presenting that their job is soooo important and they are sooo necessary that requires them to be there because after all...they are sooo important.If they are not that important and their absence isn't that big a deal, then why should we pay them more?They live by the sword, they die by it.
no, no....their job is so important that they can't miss a few days of work to protest but not so important that they can't have their pay cut without giving any input. it's a fine line.
Shockingly the entire world has to live with the reality that the place they work can cut their pay without them having any input on it other than to quit every single day of every single year since time began...but I can see why teachers should not have to live in reality.
They live by the sword, they die by it.
I don't disagree. I think they should have the right to strike, and I think the schools should have the right to say, "Fine, strike," and then go out and hire other teachers. If they do so, then striking was probably a bad choice by the teachers.It's of course made tricky by the fact that public schools don't really have a profit feedback mechanism. So, if the school decides to fire all the striking teachers and hire a bunch of crappy teachers who will work for little pay, there's no mechanism for customers to say that's a bad idea (if, for example, Apple did the same thing and made crappy ipods, people would stop buying ipods). So, the teachers have an unusually strong position because it (should) be in the state's interest to maintain good schools.So, in conclusion: I don't know. But I guess it makes for an interesting debate.
Shockingly the entire world has to live with the reality that the place they work can cut their pay without them having any input on it other than to quit every single day of every single year since time began...but I can see why teachers should not have to live in reality.
Yep, and that is why there was so much outrage from the conservatives on here when Wall Street bankrupted the world and then demanded bonuses so they could retain their talent (that bankrupted the world).Also, people who do not live in that reality:athletes, pretty much anyone who does manual labor, business owners, politicians, etc. you know like a huge chunk of our workforce.I iz stunned that you, like every GOP governor, has decided to make teachers their budget scapegoat though. super stunned.