How else would u play this?

Last night at a friend's house we played a 20 person nl holdem tournament $15 dlr buy in 1-3 places got money.. Most players where either really agrressive or callers.. i played premiums only as I usually do. eventually we were down to 6 ,, seat # 5 had $100, #6 $30, #1 $40, #2 $70, #3 $20 and me with $65 (all aproximations) .. blinds were at 2.50 and 5 and seat #5 was dealer seat #2 limps and the rest fold to me, I have AQ offsuit I raise to 15 everyone folds now the limper looks at his cards thinks and then just calls (these are bad players they tend to fall in love w/ their cards often)....THE FLOP: 9, 10, J (rainbow) he bets $20 (almost half my stack) I think for about 1 minute (I'm thinking doyle says go all in...sklansky says I can call) I call (here's my mistake, then I think oops sklansky says go all-in too cuz of the implied odds).... THE TURN: (J) he bets my all in.. now I feel I have to call if I fold I have to go all-in in a few hands. RIVER: 6 no help .. he shows A 9 ..I got busted .. I know I didnt play it right but was calling my only mistake ?? or what else would you have done?? (by the way I had him on K J until the turn I knew he had a marginal hand)

Well, I like the open-ended straight draw odds here, but the pot odds don't justify the call. It will cost you $20 to win $50 at that point, which is only 2.5 to 1 odds. You need at least 4.8 to 1 to make the call right. Even if you consider implied odds, you only have $30 remaining based on your estimations, which gives you approx 3.33 to 1 on the final all-in call. This isn't the appropriate odds to make the call even on the flop, much less the turn.I think you should've folded here, if not on the flop, definitely on the turn. However, being pot committed particularly at that stage in the tournament is a bit rough to lay down.... solution? Fold on the flop.

Forget the pot odds; look at your pot equity and what you have left as far as a stack when he bets the $20 at you. It’s a simple all in or fold situation I feel, a call is terrible, your leaving your self pot committed with at most 14 outs, probably less if he has one of your over cards counterfeited and hit that flop. Plus he could have a made hand already. You are leaving your self with only $20 left (4 times the BB). ALL In and hope you can knock him off his hand, or fold, you said it yourself they love their hands so it doesn’t look like he is gonna let go after committing over 50% of his stack on this hand. So its an easy Fold on the flop, you talk about how poor this group of players is, take your $40 left (just below average 54) and wait for a better spot.Play the cards and go all in, or play the man and fold. Calling can’t possibly be the best play here. The stacks are just too short.

1. Don't raise 12x the BB pre-flop with AQ.2. Fold the flop. You're playing a bad player, he's going to all you with a pair of 9s if you push. You have no odds anywhere to call another $20 with 8 outs. (turned out you had 11 or whatever, but you have to count 8 there when you're thinking of calling).

"3x BB"........with 12.50 already in the pot, a raise of 15 is a raise for value, not to win the pot right there. He needs to raise it much more to knock anyone out of the pot who has already committed 33% of the raise invested and is getting almost 3:1 on the preflop call.The rest of the hand is a symptom of the poor preflop play.

Thanks for the replies..i agree w/ some of you, although I think he would not have called my all in without really thinking about it .. in my eyes it was about 50/50 for him to call or fold. I had the pot odds different though, thats why I called. Here's how I had it.... 4 8's+ 4 or 3 k's+ 3 A's+ 3 Q's 13 or 14 outs there was about 58 in the pot 2.9 to 1.. about 3 to 1 ..so theres 14 outs + 5 known cards =19 so 33 cards dont give me the win .. therefor 33/14 (outs) is roughly 2.4 to 1.. here's where I blacked out .. i didnt see that I was gonna have $20 after the call, I also didn't even try to read him I guess I was a bit nervous.. and my biggest flaw i think is that I refuse to think as my opponent would, I'm a very solid player so someone calling my raises w/ a9 doesn't seem logical to me, so I had him on KJ ( I wouldnt even call w/ kj) .. I guess I learned my lesson.. Ill try not to get nervous next time the heat is on me.PS. if i am calculating the pot odds wrong please correct me, Ive always sucked at math. and another thing .. I usually raise 3 times the BB and almost never limp in .. say I folded the hand and had 50 left .. that means that I'll really have 1 or 2 more flops left in me if I want to be aggressive post flop, against these types of players ( it also happens a lot online.) do u suggest I stop raising preflop w/ such big blinds do I raise less or what? how do u guys play when the blinds are so big and it's still 6 5 or 4 handed?