I know this should probably go in the off topic forum, but I doubt many people read that forum. Anyway, I just started playing gin rummy for fun with my fiancee. She'll play poker for fun, but isn't very good. I don't really enjoy playing poker for fun, so we started playing gin rummy. I know for a while, nobody would play Stuey in gin rummy since he was so good. Do any of you play? For fun or serious? There are definite similarities to poker (a lot of strategy if you start taking it seriously.

• Like 1

i play for $.05 a point with my family, so the msot anyone is stuck with is about $10-20 bucks. its a real fun game and i really enjoy it. there are definetly some finer points to the game. i dont know if you saw the stu unger movie but there was an excellent scene in it where he blind reads a guys gin hand. anyways, its a fun game.

Gin rummy is the game I grew up on, that and cribbage. My Dad and I would play all the time. It all comes down to what your opponent is holding, so it resembles poker in that sense, putting your opponent on a hand. In GR, you get significantly more information throughout a hand, so you can get better reads sometimes. Haven't played GR in a long time, I'm gonna have to teach my wife.

• Like 1

There's a story about Stuey being a great gin rummy player in Phil Hellmuth's book on bad beats (it was a present, I swear).While playing a high stakes HE game, Chip Reese, who was playing gin near the table, asked stuey if he thought he made a good play.Without missing a beat, stuey says he would have laid down five draws ago with five points in his hand.Everyone was stunned that not only was stuey playing (and winning) his poker, he was also keeping track of a gin game.

i know there are a bunch of different kinds of gin and gin rummy so i don't know if the game i've been playing forever is the one you guys are talking about or the one that stu the kid played.we play rummy 500. the 500 i think may be arbitrary but that is the number we usually play to. making three card or more straight flushes and three's of a kind and just adding the points until we get to 500 no matter how many times you have to go thru the deck.is this the game you guys are talking about?

no, gin is different. here are the basicsyou get 10 cards. You still try to make three of four of a kind or runs (same suit, consecutive cards) of 3 or more. You can't lay down unless you can go out. You can either go gin - no unmatched cards, or knock (less than 10 points unmatched cards. do a google search for gin rummy to get all the details. There's much more strategy than 500 rummy, although the latter game is fun too.

• 11 years later...

Yeah there are tons of different variations of Rummy (500, gin rummy, regular rummy, etc). It's essentially about getting the equivalent of straight flushes in poker (which are called runs in Rummy) or getting trips or quads (called sets in Rummy). The best strategy IMO is to hold off laying down your runs and sets as long as possible so other players can't piggy back on what you've laid down. I enjoy playing with my fiance, but when I'm bored at work sometimes play at which is a pretty basic version against the computer.

• Like 2

I like when I have a run of 456 and my opponent discards a 3, i'll pick it up and then discard the 6. Then he's like, "Well duh he got 333 so lemme just get rid of this naked duecy, and then I pick it up and like bam gin mf.

And really he should keep the duece in case i knocnk maybe he trap me, but he's an idiot gin player and spoiler alert he's really a woman.