Dedicated Home Theater

So I setup my first 5.1 surround system when I was maybe 13-14 years old for our 27" TV in the basement in the mid 90s. Since then I've been hooked, I've owned several setups over the years but never had a projector. Anyway, I'm moving next week in to a new house and of course in doing so I've already started coming up with all kinds of plans that I know will get trumped by my wife but whatever, a man can dream at least of what he wants to build.I'll be clear, while I've got knowledge in all basic A/V receiver setups for 5.1 systems I'm a newbie with projectors, 7.1 systems and large DIY projects (Luckily my father built half his house and would be a big help in that dept). Avsforum is pretty amazing site for info as well but can be intimidating for a newb like me.Has anyone built their own theater or media room? I have a 46" Aquos in the family room & 40" Bravia in the bedroom but those are small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.Here's the look of the basement I'll have to work with. It's about 9' x 30' right now (It's quite narrow & long, the picture below is not half way down the room):hometheater1.jpgI will be using the back part of that room for my office and would wall it in to separate it from the theater. So the theater room would end being about 9' x 22' area which I think is doable. The small window would be boarded up for blackness. Also I would install a floating wall where the walls start to angle outwards (Bay window above it in living room) to have a larger screen. I think I'd have to go with a 2.35:1 screen size over a 16:9 because of the ducts that lower the overall height of my room. Rather than tearing down all walls & ceilings, I think if I could lay down carpet and run the wires along the edges, pros/cons? I think it would speed up the job 10 fold and save money especially since I plan to lay down carpet anyway. It would also be a 7.1 system & the rack would probably be built in to a wall in my office, kind of like a projector room, I figured the projector could be installed on a shelf on that new wall along with the rears.Here is what I mocked up in photoshop for a basic vision, thoughts? advice? Can I see your setups?hometheater2.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck, I've seen many amazing set ups being in some nice homes around here where I live.The thing I thought was coolest was having all the equipment in a closet far removed from the process since you can have a single wire to an antenna extension that allows you to make your remote work through walls etc. This gives the cleanest look.Running wires through along the floor is messier for speakers etc, since optimal position is up and behind your listening point. If you do go with a remote system, you should be able to run the AV receiver wires through the ceiling, placing the receiver at the best place for the wires.

One of my poker buddies has a setup with six recliners in two rows. The second row is on a platform, theater style. It's a great touch.

My sister and her husband built a custom house, and one of the features is a theater room with a room behind it. So you go around back in a closet and hook up anything you need to. With a long room like that you could put a closet with a door on the side and have all your wires and stuff in the back. I've also heard there are some really good wireless speakers now that are real time (no lag). Check out http://audioengineusa.com/, I've heard those are pretty good.

I had our basement finished this spring and was blown away by all of the options out there and the prices...i ended up spending 3 times what i expected and only got good stuff....we do have 6 power recliners that are very cool. The best part is 90 percent of the use is my kinds playing Black-opps or Modern warfare or MLB...on a freakin 72' TV it is damn real life with all of the speakers and stuff.

I'm living with a plasma, and use a PS3 as the blu-ray player.Pay attention to how many HDMI ports you get with different sets. After installing (mine is wall-mounted on a convienantly placed stud) get an A/V professional out to tweak your settings. Most sets that you look at in the big box stores have their colors set too hot. Yeah, it makes digital cartoons look surreal and retina searing, but the dark grays and the blacks get totally washed out.Are you totally stuck on projector? The image will be soft.

• 1 month later...

So figured I'll update as I go along, although I doubt anyone really cares.After weeks of research & calculations I've decided on exact models of equipment, seating distance, throw distances, etc. Essentially I've got all my planning done and several purchases done too.Overview of Plan- 2.35:1 Acoustically Transparent Screen 104" wide (113 diag) 1.2 gain- Panasonic AE4000U HD Projector Mounted 13.5' from screen- 7.1 System, because of the room's narrow size I'll be installing in-walls on sides & rear- 2 Rows of seats (3 in the front, 2 in the back)- 2 Racks, one in the office room housing main components, and the other will be a hidden rack near front row housing gaming systems (mostly old school)- Not planning to tear down any walls, ceiling or flooring, I have easy access to run wires through unfinished area of basementEquipment Purchased- Onkyo 7.2 TX-NR609 Receiver- Panasonic DMPBDT110 Blu-Ray Player- HTD (Home Theater Direct) Speakers: Level 3 Bookshelf Left/Right, Level 3 Center & 12" powered Sub. In-walls for sides/surrounds. Went with HTD for high quality on low budget- 250' 14 guage CL3-rated speaker wire spool, speaker wall plates, HDMI & ethernet wall plates- Panasonic AE4000UNext Purchases- Seymour Center Stage XD material for screen- Premium black velvet to go top to bottom above & below screen- Seating - Berkline Traverse, 3 in the front, 2 in the back- Track lighting for lighting up screen- Sconces, 2 in the back area for added light Current Basement Layout- Note: there are ducts on the right side making the ceiling rather low which made me look in to 2.35 screens- There is a small window that's about half exposed right near the screen wall. Ideally I don't want to have to board it up, perhaps will insulate it and cover with black blinds.hometheater2current.jpgPlanned Layouthometheater2.jpgHoping to get started this weekend, speakers arrive by Friday, got projector today, and receiver & BD player last week.Cheers!

wow, no need to ever go to the theater again.
We don't go to the movies anymore since having a kid which is where most of this motivation came from. Once I started researching I couldn't stop.
  • 1 month later...

Thought I'd do an update since I actually did stuff on the weekend. It's sort of fun to document this as I go along.Equipment I've purchased for the theater:equipment1.jpgequipment2.jpgequipment3.jpgequipment4.jpgequipment5.jpgequipment6.jpgequipment7.jpgSeating:41821170.jpg13447085.jpgOn the weekend we started building the wall to separate my office from the theater room. It's basically two walls buddied up against each other. The inner wall to the theater will house the in wall back speakers and the outer wall in to my office supports double pocket doors. I decided two 24" doors is just more ideal for me so I'm not in such an enclosed space during the days (It's my 9-5 grind back there). It was a bit confusing figuring this out never installing a pocket door before.Saturday we picked up lumber, cut out the laminate floor and started the framing for the inner wall.EOD Saturday:64328756.jpg23427702.jpgEOD Sunday:49930505.jpg95301146.jpg

This makes me miss working. Well, not the working, but the having money. Although I suppose it could be worse...I could work and still not have money. Right shake?
or just sell your house and buy cheaper like I did.

Is there going to be a door leading into the office, or is that space going to remain open?Seems like a huge doorframe, that's why I ask.*Edit* Nevermind...you already said pocket doors. Reading comprehension FTW.

Is there going to be a door leading into the office, or is that space going to remain open?Seems like a huge doorframe, that's why I ask.*Edit* Nevermind...you already said pocket doors. Reading comprehension FTW.
Yea basically allows me to have a much bigger opening 90% of the time and then only will close it for movie/show time.
This makes me miss working. Well, not the working, but the having money. Although I suppose it could be worse...I could work and still not have money. Right shake?
thaaat's right!
or just sell your house and buy cheaper like I did.
but I already have a tent!