Killing In Self Defense

No and yes. Why is it neccesary to kill?
It may not be necessary to kill, however what if whilst defending yourself from what would otherwise be a fatal attack, and you end up accidentally killing him, without intention to do so?

if someone only threatens to kill you, then you can't kill them, ever. wait...what...oh...what day is it?

I agree with Loismustdie. There is no blanket answer.What if you are in a fist fight with a guy who threatens to beat you until he kills you but you are a 3rd degree blackbelt in karate and can easily subdue him without killing him? You are still afraid for your life so you decide to snap his neck, just to be sure. I definately don't think you are justified then.Or the other way around, what if a 3rd degree blackbelt threats to beat you until he kills you but you have a knife? You are sure that you can't get out of this until he can't get back up to keep attacking you so when the opportunity presents itself you stab at him and the knife plunges into his chest. You then take our your cell phone and dial 9-1-1 and try to stop the bleeding while the ambulance arrives. The man later dies in hospital. I see no sin in that.

It may not be necessary to kill, however what if whilst defending yourself from what would otherwise be a fatal attack, and you end up accidentally killing him, without intention to do so?
That's pretty much what I meant.Or we can use this scenario, a man says he will kill your spouse and children unless you murder one innocent person. Which is the greater sin, letting the innocent person live (freeing your hands of murder, but your family dies), or committing murder?
That's pretty much what I meant.Or we can use this scenario, a man says he will kill your spouse and children unless you murder one innocent person. Which is the greater sin, letting the innocent person live (freeing your hands of murder, but your family dies), or committing murder?
To be sure, it is a horrible situation in which to find yourself. I believe that killing the innocent person is out of the question though. No one or two lives are worth more than another.

I don't believe in god so I obviously don't think its a sin but if somebody was going to kill me I sure as hell would kill them first.

To be sure, it is a horrible situation in which to find yourself. I believe that killing the innocent person is out of the question though. No one or two lives are worth more than another.
So you wouldnt kill a stranger to save your wife and child???? You're def in the minority on that one.
So you wouldnt kill a stranger to save your wife and child???? You're def in the minority on that one.
I'd bash someone's PT cruiser with a golf club if they road my ass too closely on the 101.
You would have to trust in God with that situation, and let what will be, be. Or, find your family and protect them firsthand- killing the innocent is out of the question.
You would have to trust in God with that situation, and let what will be, be. Or, find your family and protect them firsthand- killing the innocent is out of the question.
That is one of the stupidest things I've ever read.
That is one of the stupidest things I've ever read.
Sure. Guy says if you don't kill X person, he will kill your wife and child. You don't know X from Adam, but you are willing to kill X to save your wife and child. That's called murder. Bad people do that- hell, if it was that easy to get people to kill at the drop of a hat, hitmen wouldn't exist. Just find some poor schlub and threaten his family. Killing is wrong, and murder is definitely wrong. Who knows what one would do in any given situation and God is not without mercy- he does forgive. I would like to think that if a man out a gun to my head and said if you want to live you need to pull the trigger on that guy, I wouldn't do it. I would like to think that, but I probably would do it. Part of it has to do with christianity in that if you are living it right you should never fear death, or fear what others could do to your flesh, because the flesh is temporary. In all seriousness, this question is alot more complicated that you guys would like to make it. There are quite a few ins and outs. So, call it a stupid answer I don't care- but I will try to find a way to not take a life if I can. That's just common sense, and very few people actually have any kind of grasp on how they would actually act in such a situation. Most of us would just beg and plead and pee ourselves- few actually have the mental capacity to kill without compunction.
Not if the life of their wife and child depended on it. Most men would do it easily.
Of course. Except most men will never face that situation, and the small percentage that do, what happens? They usually all end up dead. Watch the news- heroes are few and far between. I understand that you feel a certain way, but the reality is this- most likely you are a pants pisser, just like the majority of us. If in fact you are not a pants pisser, more power to you, I guess, although I don't know why one would broadcast that they would gladly kill innocent people, which is really what you are advocating- the killing of innocents to protect your interests. Shoe on the other foot- what if the mark was your wife and some other guy had to kill her to save his own? Not so black and white anymore, is it? The answer to all of these absolutely juvenile and farfetched hypotheticals is this- try not to kill people. Even when you think you may need to, try not to. Seriously- killing is bad news. You don't need to be smart to see that I am completely correct.
no
I am trying to reason with him,we will see where it gets. What's your take, besides just NO?(LOL) Although, really, that's my reaction inside- NO,NO,NO. If there is one thing Jesus passed on, it's that life is precious, and that is not negotiable.

Nevermind, I caught you midpost and didn't see the "to the OP" part. I agree that the answer is no to the original question, to a certain extent, in that it would be between the killer and God. God would have the last word, and he knows the heart better than we know our own.

- what if the mark was your wife and some other guy had to kill her to save his own? Not so black and white anymore, is it?
If he killed my wife, I would kill him. But if afterwords I learned that he did so to save his wife and child, I would still be pissed that he killed my wife and glad that I killed him, but I would understand why he did it.Killing is not always wrong. It is right in certain situations. Say your childs teacher or coach molested him/her. It is right to kill the molestor. No one could convince me otherwise. Child molestors are probably the worst scum on the earth and they do not deserve to live. I dont care why they did it or if it was done to them. If you do it, you must die. But maybe Im just an angry person.
If he killed my wife, I would kill him. But if afterwords I learned that he did so to save his wife and child, I would still be pissed that he killed my wife and glad that I killed him, but I would understand why he did it.Killing is not always wrong. It is right in certain situations. Say your childs teacher or coach molested him/her. It is right to kill the molestor. No one could convince me otherwise. Child molestors are probably the worst scum on the earth and they do not deserve to live. I dont care why they did it or if it was done to them. If you do it, you must die. But maybe Im just an angry person.
Vengeance is mine, sayeth the lord. I agree with you whole heartedly, but I wouldn't expect Gods forgiveness for my actions,especially since the only reason for the action would be to make myself feel better. From your tone I can tell you know you are wrong,but it doesn't matter. That's a whole different ballgame.
Vengeance is mine, sayeth the lord. I agree with you whole heartedly, but I wouldn't expect Gods forgiveness for my actions,especially since the only reason for the action would be to make myself feel better. From your tone I can tell you know you are wrong,but it doesn't matter. That's a whole different ballgame.
I dont feel Im wrong, I just know most people are to scared to admit they would like to feel that way.
I dont feel Im wrong, I just know most people are to scared to admit they would like to feel that way.
Feeling that way is one thing- the willingness to act on it is another. I don't know anybody who is scared to admit they would want to kill the man that abused there child- I know maybe one who would actually do it, and he is an ex military borderline psychopath.
Feeling that way is one thing- the willingness to act on it is another. I don't know anybody who is scared to admit they would want to kill the man that abused there child- I know maybe one who would actually do it, and he is an ex military borderline psychopath.
Wanting to do something and knowing it is wrong aren't exclusive of each other. The important thing is to let go of the hatred and remove the desire to kill someone. It's better for you in a lot of ways that killing somone could never provide.