when are you "pot committed"?

Is there a general guideline?What are good books out there that teach you how to bet/play, specifically in no-limit tournaments?
Tournament term; depends on stack size, where the blinds are at, the player's own "definition".Simple example: You had a stack of $1,000; blinds are at $200/$400, you have already put $800 in the pot so you have $200 left. Pot is at $2,400 with two other players. Even if you don't think that you're going to win the hand, you're "pot committed" as folding is not an option at this point. So you call the last $200 and see it thru.If you're attempting to bluff or buy a pot, this becomes important as if the opposition considers themselves "pot committed", they won't fold their hand no matter what and your bluff is useless.I'm reading Harrington on Hold-em right now which is all about tournament no-limit hold-em poker. It's great so far.

I don't beleive in being "pot commited" unless you are all in or really close to being all in. The way I see it, as long as you can willingly throw away your hand, you are never pot commited. But this is coming from the ramblings of somebody who started playing on a regular basis about four months ago.