NL tourney decision....opinions welcomed

Tonight on a cheapy UB MTT, My chip count was a little over 4000 with the blinds at 150-300I'm in middle position and raise it to 600 with ATsthe guy on the button (who has been aggressive, borderline crazy with his play) pushed in all his stack (2300), so it was 1700 for me to call.We're at about the midlevel of the tourament and ITM is ways away. I thought about it and called his bet. He turns over KJ and of course, I lose. I think my play was correct, but just wanted some feedback on this one. The guy who had won told me what a horrible play it was and that I was a moron for even thinking about it. I felt pretty confident on the call as it was only 1700 more in order to win and I needed to make a move some time. The fact that the guy was aggressive strengthened my decision. Thoughts?Scott

I think my play was correctI don't.Let it go, you'll still have more than 10x the BB after floding and MOST of the time you're way behind with AT.Is he goinng to push with 22-AA sure. Is he going to push with AJ, sure. AQ? Sure. You lucked out that he had KJ.

Let it go, you'll still have more than 10x the BB after floding and MOST of the time you're way behind with AT.    
Calling the guys raise was kind of an inbetween decision. 1700 to win 2700. I don't like it most of the time, but this was a call based on the opponent more than anything. I wouldn't say I was going to be way behind with AT necessarily. Even if the foe has KK, I'm still roughly just a 2-1 underdog and gettting almost even money. ( which is why this was inbetween for me). The deciding factor was the opponent and my position in the tourney. If I kicked it in this hand and was dealt the exact same hand a half round later, I was going to have to push in anyways. And in that situation, I might be called by a more reputable opponent who is likely to have me down. This was head-up against a very loose guy.

you had enough chips where you didn't need to gamble. Just wait for a better spot, even if he was stealing, he could have caught 1 of his live cards if he held anything besides AX. He could very well have held a monster hand as well. Do you really want to be calling as an underdog for all your chips? Even as a 60/40 favorite, it's not that great of a decision when you have chips to do damage with. ALWAYS remember it takes less to push all-in than it does to call all-in.

I have to agree the play was not correct. You were investing 1700$ more to only win 2900$ which is a little better than a 2:1 return on your investment. After that, you can compare to the fact you were either slightly ahead in the hand or way behind. You atually had the best situtation where your A-10s was up against two unpaired lower cards and you were a 60% to 40% favorite. In all other situation except a complete bluff you were a big dog.

Guest XXEddie
Tonight on a cheapy UB MTT,  My chip count was a little over 4000 with the blinds at 150-300I'm in middle position and raise it to 600 with ATsthe guy on the button (who has been aggressive, borderline crazy with his play) pushed in all his stack (2300), so it was 1700 for me to call.We're at about the midlevel of the tourament and ITM is ways away.  I thought about it and called his bet.  He turns over KJ and of course, I lose.  I think my play was correct, but just wanted some feedback on this one.  The guy who had won told me what a horrible play it was and that I was a moron for even thinking about it.  I felt pretty confident on the call as it was only 1700 more in order to win and I needed to make a move some time.  The fact that the guy was aggressive strengthened my decision.  Thoughts?Scott
The raise to me was kind of questionable, but since it was suited I'll let it slide. I think I woulda raised more than the minimum to start. You can't be thinking about getting ITM, untill you are there. Too many players try to survive till the money comes, and then they are short stacked because they play tight to avoid elimination. I know you are far found the money, but you still shouldn't have it on your mind. Against an aggressive opponent A10s looks nicer. I might have just decided to wait for a better spot. However, I don't understand why he told you you're play was horrible. It showed no class on his part. The funny thing is...he was the one with no hand. Those things happen in poker and you have to learn to just live with them. "That's the nature of no limit. You can play you cards so right, and have it end so wrong." -Norman Chad; 2003 WSOP.

I take it not very many of you play Ultimate Bet where he said this was taking place. Players play very loose and very fast and are willing to push it all in with AX KX some even QX. It sounds like you had a fairly decent read on him, but I would need more to tell you if it was the correct play or not. When you say he was playing loose how so? What was his betting pattern like? Was he betting pot size values, or was he constantly going all in like a Sousa only without the cards? Or was he just playing fast preflop hoping to show strength then either flop something or bet everyone out? Or was he playing lots of flops and betting out strong after the flops? Was he someone that made moves before the flop or after the flop? It really depends exactly how he was playing for me to say it was a good play or not. If he was playing fast preflop, even after the intial raise, then yes I would say it was a good call. If he was playing for lots of flops then I would call it a horrid call. If he was playing where he was making lots of all in bets, like that is all he knew then it is probably a good call. In this spot of the tourny if you can accumulate chips and eliminate a weaker player at the same time it is good. For over half your stack, the play might not be right, but poker is a game of people, and if you thought you had a solid read on him, don't argue with yourself. The better you become at putting people on hands the more important it is to see how they play in certain spots. People tend to play the same before the flop and on the flop, especially new players.

Jeremy Sousa seems like a good description of this guy. He was all in with KQo twice before and he always seemed to turn over his all ins. The best I remember seeing was A-8, so I felt pretty good about the call. I was a favorite, but lost it.

• 2 weeks later...

In order for me to make the call, I would need to know more about this player. Has he raised all in previously? What hands would he go all in with? Before calling, you should be certain that you have him beat, and with the amount of information you've provided, I wouldn't be certain and probably would fold. Think of the outcome if you lose the pot; you'll be shortstacked and forced to go double or nothing in the next few hands. Wait for more favorable opportunities before making such a call.