o8 question

Guest XXEddie

Guest XXEddie

I had a question bout something. I was playing O8 and was dealt AAK10 in the BB and everyone limped(3 to be excat). I raised, was this a bad play considering I couldnt make any possible low. this with fixed limit buy the way. Im not a good O8 player and jsut wanted some opinion, thanx

You can't make a low, so the next logical question would be "Were you double-suited, single-suited, or not suited at all? If you were in some way suited, was it with one of the Aces or the K10?"As was mentioned elsewhere, naked aces aren't particularly good in either variant of Omaha...good to start, but you basically have to play them like you would a small pocket pair in hold 'em, IE be ready to bail if you don't hit your set.That said, if one or both of your aces was suited, I could see a raise here. Again, though, if you don't improve (Either by hitting a set or picking up draws), be ready to drop it, as odds are good you're beat at that point.

Guest XXEddie
You can't make a low, so the next logical question would be "Were you double-suited, single-suited, or not suited at all? If you were in some way suited, was it with one of the Aces or the K10?"As was mentioned elsewhere, naked aces aren't particularly good in either variant of Omaha...good to start, but you basically have to play them like you would a small pocket pair in hold 'em, IE be ready to bail if you don't hit your set.That said, if one or both of your aces was suited, I could see a raise here. Again, though, if you don't improve (Either by hitting a set or picking up draws), be ready to drop it, as odds are good you're beat at that point.
I was double suited, AK and A10....i think thats the only way...and the flop was like 8 6 4....so I was in check fold mode

Yea, good raise. I've always loved omaha, and recently started playing online with much success. Double suited is an awesome starting hand. Just the other night, my opponent bet pot for like 30 on the turn. I was pretty sure he had the straight, there was no low possible, but I had BOTH the spade and diamond flush draw, along with a boat draw. I think thats more than half the deck that could help me. Hit on the river for a massive pot.Good raise here, and very diciplined check/fold on that flop. I give you an A+.

I think you raise depends on the limit you were playing and the texture of your game. If your game was loose, I would not have raised. IMO, the best way to play a high only hand, especially out of position is cheaply. If the board comes high to counterfit any low draws you can start to jam the pot then. I could see your raise as being beneficial if it was an attempt to mix up your play and show you don't only raise with nut low prospects.

Yeah, this isn't a very good hand to be raising with at all. I don't mind seeing it in the BB, but raising with it is very incorrect, unless you feel you can isolate one player, which you can't do from the BB. But, if you were on the button and a MP raised, a reraise is OK to play that player heads up. Generally it's still a fold for me, but I sometimes three-bet a hand like that against a bad player. It's basically the equivalent of raising with J8 in the BB in LHE; that is, you have to catch a pretty good flop to continue with the hand. Not to be mean, welcome to the game.One last thing, it takes an exceptionally strong hand to raise from the blinds in Omaha 8 after others have limped. You must have exceptional high and low possibilities. I'm talking AA and two wheel cards, KKA2, AK23 with a suited ace.