Daniel Negreanu

Ok - I really don't care about poker at all.But there's one guy who baffles me. I have watched those poker games on ESPN, and I'm currently watching one now.Daniel seems to always know what his opponent has. I'm completely baffled how he does it... And he even explains it to the person. I've watched two hands he was involved in now, where he knew EXACTLY what the guy had. He even called it out loud... He just tells him - "two Aces, huh?" when the guy makes his call.Just now some young guy raises after all the cards have been placed down (the 5 cards), and Daniel looks funny at him and laughs and says "pocket 4's or 6's? Which one?". The kid just stares at him like he's clueless - but he does indeed have 4's... He's absolutely insane with that. I'll watch him tell the whole table exactly what the guy it doing, and call his cards - and he knows whether to fold or not every single time...I'm just baffled at how he can read people so well.

Ok - I really don't care about poker at all.But there's one guy who baffles me. I have watched those poker games on ESPN, and I'm currently watching one now.Daniel seems to always know what his opponent has. I'm completely baffled how he does it... And he even explains it to the person. I've watched two hands he was involved in now, where he knew EXACTLY what the guy had. He even called it out loud... He just tells him - "two Aces, huh?" when the guy makes his call.Just now some young guy raises after all the cards have been placed down (the 5 cards), and Daniel looks funny at him and laughs and says "pocket 4's or 6's? Which one?". The kid just stares at him like he's clueless - but he does indeed have 4's... He's absolutely insane with that. I'll watch him tell the whole table exactly what the guy it doing, and call his cards - and he knows whether to fold or not every single time...I'm just baffled at how he can read people so well.
I do that all the time !!

Poker players are just as impressed for the most part.Some things a lot of players can do. There's only a handful of hands a player would make that particular bet with on that particular board etc. A lot of the reads Daniel makes are random though and quite impressive.

I'll watch him tell the whole table exactly what the guy it doing, and call his cards - and he knows whether to fold or not every single time...
But, even if he knows that he should fold, he doesn't always fold when he should. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
I'm just baffled at why someone who doesn't care about poker at all whould watch a poker show on tv, become interested in a particular player, do an internet search on that player, and then join the player's poker forum to ask questions. Just sayin'
I'm just baffled at why someone who doesn't care about poker at all whould watch a poker show on tv, become interested in a particular player, do an internet search on that player, and then join the player's poker forum to ask questions. Just sayin'
Because I don't watch TV to watch TV. I turn the TV on and ESPN is on, so I leave it. I just have it on in the background when I'm doing other stuff.And errr... Asking questions is how you learn stuff. I may not care much about poker. But I am interested in how this guy is so gifted in reading cards so well.
Because I don't watch TV to watch TV. I turn the TV on and ESPN is on, so I leave it. I just have it on in the background when I'm doing other stuff.And errr... Asking questions is how you learn stuff. I may not care much about poker. But I am interested in how this guy is so gifted in reading cards so well.
He's a robot.

I knew someone would be a jackass and insult the OP. I think it was an honest question and he's taking an interest in what most of us love and some of us do for a living, and unless there's some hidden agenda or spam, I think a little courtesy would be nice from time to time.I know, I know, GFMyself

Two things really:1) Daniel is a very talkative player at the table, and he likes to talk through hands as they're in progress. ESPN doesn't show every hand, and it would make sense that they choose to show those hands during which he guesses the opponent's hand exactly. Obviously if he could really guess his opponent's hand exactly every time, he'd never lose a tournament. I'm not saying that it's all in the editing, but that certainly adds to it.2) Daniel is a very gifted and very experienced player. He has a ton of live experience and always claims that among his strongest points as a player is his ability to read others. When he's focused, he has an uncanny ability to play out every aspect of a hand, analyze what players do and why, think about what they have done in the past, think about what he would do in a particular situation, etc. He adds up all of these factors and is often able to narrow down quite well an opponent’s holdings under certain circumstances.So, it's a combination really of his amazing reading abilities and some selective editing, in my opinion.

well...when you see him wear headphones....he's not really listening to his ipod...he's actually getting the cards told to him by norman chad in the backroom
I knew someone would be a jackass and insult the OP. I think it was an honest question and he's taking an interest in what most of us love and some of us do for a living, and unless there's some hidden agenda or spam, I think a little courtesy would be nice from time to time.
I completely agree.
I completely agree.
I actually thought it would be much worse than this to be honest. I figured we'd see at least one, "Who is this person you're talking about?" by now.
haha are you insecure?? do you feel sad when people say they dont care about your beloved hobby...."just sayin"-- grow up you loser
That hand wasn't that difficult. Pretty easy to put the kid on a set there.The impressive hands are when he floats and takes the pot on the turn with nothing. Couple good hands on Poker at the Plaza show, he played one real good against Gavin. Gavin put out a blocker on the turn and DN read him perfect as semi weak, popped it and took it down. That was pure poker.
haha are you insecure?? do you feel sad when people say they dont care about your beloved hobby...."just sayin"-- grow up you loser
Excuse me ?Why would I feel sad if someone doesn't share my hobby ? I was just pointing out that he denies any interest in poker, but is showing some interest in poker. Maybe that went over your head ? Like the fact that you are telling me to grow up, when my signature states "growing older, but not up." You seem to miss a lot. Just sayin' :club:
I knew someone would be a jackass and insult the OP. I think it was an honest question and he's taking an interest in what most of us love and some of us do for a living, and unless there's some hidden agenda or spam, I think a little courtesy would be nice from time to time.I know, I know, GFMyself
Rather ironic that you were the first poster in here to be outright rude.You also might want to reread OP's post. He doesn't actually ask a question.
I do that all the time when playing live 2/4 and pretend that I can make Hellmuthian reads and laydowns.
:club: 'Hellmuthian reads'!! Looool... for some reason that is super funny to me. I will try to remember that next time I have a home game.

They have shown hands on television where I've been wrong. It's not the editing, despite what others may think. When I call out an opponents hand it's usually only in cases where I have a very strong read. Like the 44's or 66's, that one was EASY. In an upcoming WPT episode you'll see me make a call with Ace high, despite telling the guy that I "know" he has three queens... he didn't have three queens, and I didn't REALLY think that, but I was trying to get a read. He actually had squat and I won the pot with ace high.