112 replies to this topic

#81 PMJackson21

PMJackson21

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:53 AM

View PostMtdRounders, on Thursday, October 12th, 2006, 8:01 PM, said:

Some said internet gaming is a victimless crime and does not lead to reckless behavior like drinking, drugs, etc. Did anyone read the article about the college student that was convicted of armed robbery because he wanted to pay off his gambling debts from on-line gaming? Gambling is an addictive in habit in a lot of people and can and will lead to reckless behavior. LOL
I like to play golf. I live in the Bay Area, so I play in the Pebble Beach area quite often. To play a sport such as golf for a hobby, not only does it require a lot of time, but a lot of money as well. Hypothetically, I could use all that time and money to better myself, or better my community, but as an adult, I choose to use my time and money doing something I enjoy.Take some time and search google and see how many stories there are of players assaulting others on the golf course (off the top of my head, I recall someone being beaten to death with a putter a few years back). So, obviously golf causes people to commit crimes just like poker.So, using your logic, should the USA ban golf as well? How about we ban every hobby that costs money or takes up a great deal of time? You like the Bears? Well, going to a game costs money, and that is money that you could be spending on your family. Watching the games on tv is a waste of time that you could be spending down at a community center helping the needy.Why stop at poker? Why not ban alcohol, tobacco, fattening foods, sporting events, television, movies, and every other thing in this country that takes time and money (as well as being unhealthy) away from more 'productive' things?
----

Patrick
PMJackson21

"PrtyPsux estaba jugando muy loose, raiseaba desde early con KJo...cosas asi."

#82 Figger

Figger

Searchin for my lost shaker of salt

• Members
  • 1,359 posts
  • Interests:At my age? Breathing!
  • Favorite Poker Game:Up Your Giggy!

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:03 AM

View PostPMJackson21, on Friday, October 13th, 2006, 1:53 PM, said:

I like to play golf. I live in the Bay Area, so I play in the Pebble Beach area quite often. To play a sport such as golf for a hobby, not only does it require a lot of time, but a lot of money as well. Hypothetically, I could use all that time and money to better myself, or better my community, but as an adult, I choose to use my time and money doing something I enjoy.Take some time and search google and see how many stories there are of players assaulting others on the golf course (off the top of my head, I recall someone being beaten to death with a putter a few years back). So, obviously golf causes people to commit crimes just like poker.So, using your logic, should the USA ban golf as well? How about we ban every hobby that costs money or takes up a great deal of time? You like the Bears? Well, going to a game costs money, and that is money that you could be spending on your family. Watching the games on tv is a waste of time that you could be spending down at a community center helping the needy.Why stop at poker? Why not ban alcohol, tobacco, fattening foods, sporting events, television, movies, and every other thing in this country that takes time and money (as well as being unhealthy) away from more 'productive' things?
:club: :D :D :D :)
A friend in need....Is a Pest !

#83 SoCooLBob

SoCooLBob

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:God First ... People Including Myself Second
  • Favorite Poker Game:No Limit Hold 'Em

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:27 AM

View PostPMJackson21, on Friday, October 13th, 2006, 10:53 AM, said:

Posted ImageSo Well Said ... You Definitely Deserve The Awesome Comment Cowpie AwardExamine those thoughts carefully. So many of them apply to so many things.Posted ImagePosted ImageAh, what the heck. if you really want to get controversial:Consider The 10 Commandments :club:--------------------Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. Me, I watch IMUS In The Morning, ReligiouslySee Sneak Preview Of The Sneak PreviewLink Omitted :D You Tube - SoCooLBob
One Of The Great Pleasures In Life
Is The Setting Of Positive Goals And Achieving Them

Bob Kennedy ... SoCô¿ôL Bob
http://www.socool.com
http://www.youtube.com/socoolbob

#84 MtdRounders

MtdRounders

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:51 PM

Going to games with families, interacting with people on the golf course. Yes, those activities ARE productive. Your logic is circular, but that's fine.I played last night. I lost. Played the night before...won. And around and around we go. Today I went to my account and went to cash out and PartyPoker stated"They will not accept any more deposits from US citizens"YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Chalk one up to common sense.Maybe I am not the norm.....but I feel reborn.Maybe in the end I did need to be rescued.Maybe I am the pathetic one. I don't know and don't care any longer.Good luck to the rest of you.MTD............PASADENA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#85 SoCooLBob

SoCooLBob

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 02:13 PM

Maybe?Oh look, this new legislation has already helped someone ?Posted Imagehttp://www.pokerplay...cle.php?id=1482The great unknown is how far into the Internet commerce stream federal regulators are willing to go. The Act requires institutions like the Bank of America and Neteller to i.d. and block transactions to unlawful gambling sites, whatever they are. But, while the Bank of America will comply, Neteller might not, because it is not subject to U.S. regulations. Will federal regulators then prohibit U.S. banks from sending funds to Neteller? And would they then prohibit U.S. banks from sending funds to an overseas bank, which forwards the money to Neteller?

#86 SoCooLBob

SoCooLBob

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 03:07 PM

I guess that answered that question.I cannot play for money on Party Poker any more.They just Totally Eliminated All Real Money Play With USThey just Totally Eliminated Their Monster Freeroll Multi-Million Dollar JackpotI guess that means I'll be cashing out.I guess that means I'll be adding that fact/phenomenon to my new Television ShowIn the last couple of months, while working on this television show:Posted ImageVarious legislation has eliminated community access television.And potentially, it would appear, online poker.In the last four years, my medical insurance has gone up $560 dollars/monthly to $760 per month. I have cancer.There's a war in Iraq where friends, and associates of friends, and relatives of friends are coming home with limbs missing.How we doing so far?Friday The 13thPosted ImageProverbs 13Because I really "believe" in "cross-communication" I'll share with you these thoughts, which could, of course, lead to other threads :club: http://www.goldenstw...p?p=44834#44834Stay Tuned As Developments Un-FoldGuess they don't even mind creating a run on these "banks?"How many people will have to do what I just did.Cash OutAll At OnceThe Check's In The Mail

#87 MtdRounders

MtdRounders

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 05:53 PM

View PostSoCooLBob, on Friday, October 13th, 2006, 2:13 PM, said:

Maybe?Oh look, this new legislation has already helped someone ?Posted Imagehttp://www.pokerplay...cle.php?id=1482The great unknown is how far into the Internet commerce stream federal regulators are willing to go. The Act requires institutions like the Bank of America and Neteller to i.d. and block transactions to unlawful gambling sites, whatever they are. But, while the Bank of America will comply, Neteller might not, because it is not subject to U.S. regulations. Will federal regulators then prohibit U.S. banks from sending funds to Neteller? And would they then prohibit U.S. banks from sending funds to an overseas bank, which forwards the money to Neteller?
You are right. They will not be able to stop third party off shore sites. Impossible. It will continue.

#88 SoCooLBob

SoCooLBob

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:22 PM

Poker Stars appears to have taken the Maximum Stance ...The world's second-largest Internet poker website (PokerStars) says a U.S. ban on online gaming won't apply to poker because it is more of a game of skill and business will continue as usual.headline says large poker site exempts itself from the law ...

#89 SoCooLBob

SoCooLBob

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:19 PM

Posted ImageWho does his PR?Quote ... Received by Email"Hi this is Doyle Brunson,I know many of you will be concerned and dismayed about the bill signed into law by the President today.I want to confirm to all existing and potential poker players that it’s business as usual here at Doyle’s Room and we continue to accept players from all over the world including the United States of America. We at Doyle’s Room have taken extensive legal advice and believe that it is far too early to fully understand the implications of this bill on our industry. Based on the legal advice we have received, the new bill does not make internet poker expressly illegal nor does it take aim at players who enjoy online poker. However, there are some U.S. States that have existing regulations in place that may prohibit online gaming, so we encourage all of our U.S. players to review the laws of the State in which they reside. Until such time as the law becomes clearer, Doyle’s Room will operate as normal with our full exciting range of games and tournaments at all limits. And finally, please rest assured your money is completely secure at Doyle’s Room. I personally guarantee it."I GUARANTEE IT

#90 SilentButDeadly3

SilentButDeadly3

Hatas hate, Playas play

• Members
  • 2,122 posts
  • Interests:Favorite Games are<br />1.. NLHE<br />2. PLO<br />3. 7stud
  • Favorite Poker Game:Unlimited Hold Them, PLO or Reverse Hold Em

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:39 PM

Hi guys, I am getting the opportunity to interview John McCain (R Senator from Arizona) and there's no way I'm leaving out the Online Gambling Act out of my interview. What questions should I ask?

#91 SoCooLBob

SoCooLBob

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:05 PM

What did he know and when did he know it?

#92 llou

llou

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:37 PM

View PostSilentButDeadly3, on Wednesday, October 18th, 2006, 4:39 PM, said:

Hi guys, I am getting the opportunity to interview John McCain (R Senator from Arizona) and there's no way I'm leaving out the Online Gambling Act out of my interview. What questions should I ask?
He seems like the kind of guy who would be willing to seriously consider an issue from many sides. I would ask him to explain why his stance on the measure first, and then follow-up with specifics. For example, "Why allow betting on horse racing?" "Why allow state lotteries?" "If gambling is so harmful, why is it legal in the brick and morter world?" "Does he plan to support the banning of other activities online that are legal in the brick and mortar world?" etc.I would have a list of possible questions and then choose which ones to ask based on his explanation of his stance.If he seems willing to change the law, I would move quickly to a discussion of repealing it. Ask if he would support a measure to regulate poker rather ban it. Try to see if you can get him to committ to anything.Just my $.02Good luck.Well, the public debate (outside the poker world) has begun. George Will's column in the current issue of Newsweek is all about the poker ban.Fortunately for us, he is on our side.While I don't always agree with him, today I say, "Hooray for George Will !" :club: :D :D

#93 SoCooLBob

SoCooLBob

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:17 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.../site/newsweek/"It is an iron law: When government uses laws, tariffs and regulations to restrict the choices of Americans, ostensibly for their own good, someone is going to make money from the paternalism. One of the big winners from the government's action against online gambling will be the state governments that are America's most relentless promoters of gambling." ... George WillDo a great job on that interview!!!What does he think of the practice of attaching riders to bills that don't relate together at all? What does he think of the practice of legislators voting on bills with such impact {International Companies Lost Something Like $10 Billion Bucks On That Day} .. without even possibly having the time to read it? Where's the justice? What would he do about it? Whether he's President or not? Can you helpeven a nice guy like McCain ... say ... I would do nothing?Stay Tuned As Developments Un-FoldI've found this link quite handy ... it updates itself automatically ... and there are several good articles in there now.Also ask him about habeus corpus?

#94 arpinology

arpinology

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:NLH, PLO, 5CD, etc.

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:42 PM

i came here to ask if anybody knew any website that portrayed some technical/legal knowledge of the new law and i found it right at the top of the thread listing.

#95 DeanK

DeanK

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:48 PM

View PostPot Odds RAC, on Wednesday, October 4th, 2006, 2:12 PM, said:

I am sorry, but nonsense. I am part Republican and part Libertarian. I am certainly NOT "crazy Christian right". Way to lump tens of millions of people into a single stereotype. Are all Democrats Union supporters? Get your own head out of the sand and realize that the Media have represented the Republicans in a certain way and you've bought into it lock, stock, and barrel.Again the notion that this was "rammed through" is just not accurate. Sort of like the Democratic leadership trying revise history regarding voting to invade Iraq.
Please, don't blame the media. The fact is, its the Republicans who are pushing religion and family values, making it a major part of their image. Does the media force Bush to refer to his Christianity constantly or to push "faith based initiaitives"? There's a reason the far right Christians are referred to as their "base", and its not just the media who dose that. The fact is the Republican machine has been playing to the religious right wingers in this country for years.

#96 GeneralGeeWhiz

GeneralGeeWhiz

Go Niners

• Members
  • 5,191 posts
  • Interests:mtt bubbles, girls, fast cars and golf.
  • Favorite Poker Game:mtt bubbles

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:59 PM

WTF!? Okay, I just called Neteller and they said they're going nowhere. WTF is going on?

#97 Balloon guy

Balloon guy

Deplorable Lives Matter

• Members
  • 24,409 posts
  • Interests:Cigars, Flying, Golf, Bible
  • Favorite Poker Game:Golf

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:51 AM

View PostSoCooLBob, on Wednesday, October 18th, 2006, 6:05 PM, said:

What did he know and when did he know it?
Bob that was funny. NH
I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent

Most bad government has come out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

#98 SoCooLBob

SoCooLBob

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:31 PM

View PostDeanK, on Friday, October 20th, 2006, 7:48 PM, said:

The fact is the Republican machine has been playing to the religious right wingers in this country for years.
And, apparently, screwing them over big time.Don't kill babies. Wait til their full grown.Shoot Hoops Not Troops!Thanks To The GS Warrior Forum These Are The Bullets More People Should Be Interested InPosted ImagePosted Image

#99 PatrickBateman

PatrickBateman

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 06:19 PM

Screw online poker, I hope all these bs companies go under and go under HARD.
"Aaron Kantor turning "pro poker player" after the 2005 WSOP is like someone winning the powerball and announcing that they're turning "pro lottery player". Just comical."-Thrillsoft

#100 SilentButDeadly3

SilentButDeadly3

Hatas hate, Playas play

• Members
  • 2,122 posts
  • Interests:Favorite Games are<br />1.. NLHE<br />2. PLO<br />3. 7stud
  • Favorite Poker Game:Unlimited Hold Them, PLO or Reverse Hold Em

Posted 29 October 2006 - 08:03 PM

Well as I said above, I talked to McCain and asked him his view on Online Gambling and he basically told me he didn't know much about Online Gambling because "I don't do computers, I'm too old. Anytime I need something done for a computer I pick up some 12 year old off the street to fix it." He said laughing.This Thursday I get the opportunity to meet with Bill Frist himself. I'm looking forward to why he felt the need to push the Online Gambling law.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users